Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,176 Posts
I would say no. I mean think of the adult dogs that come into rescues, those people do amazing work in getting the dogs back on the right track. He may never be all smiles and wiggles when other people/dogs come around but I'm sure you can teach him to divert his attention to you and at least behave when others are around.
Petri, our chihuahua mix, for the most part was a nightmare when other people came around. I mean he is the stereotypical awful yappy ankle biter that we all hate. He was an adult when we got him and when he was about the age that King is now I got tired of having to chase him to his kennel just to answer the door for pizza or whatever. So I started "staging" visitors. I kept him on leash and worked on keeping his attention on me when the visitor was over (I used people he knew and was relatively comfortable around at first). He's gotten alot better (still not perfect but it's not like he's a Dobe or anything :). When the doorbell rings he'll still bark one or two times but he runs right to me rather than attacking the door.
On walks now instead of just going berserk when we see another dog or person, he'll jump on my leg and look for a treat - which he gets :) He still won't have anything to do with meeting and socializing with new people but at least he's not trying to eat their ankles :)
Having said that I realize there is a HUGE difference between training and handling a 10 pound Chi-mix and an adult Dobe :)

· Registered
4,176 Posts
Hey Tom, I've spent the better part of today browsing this site... Maybe you can get some ideas from it...
http://k9deb.com/index.htm

She stresses on the home page that training at home and her information in no way replaces or even comes close to professional help and classes. But when you're on a budget you have to do the best with what you've got....

· Registered
4,176 Posts
Excellent news Tom! So happy for both you and King, keep up the awesome work!!!! I did the same thing with Chi last week... Took her to a local pet shop and let kids feed her treats everyone had a blast but today on our walk I noticed that every time we passed a kid she would try to follow them LOL I wonder if she now thinks that little people are made of hot dogs LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.