Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,590 Posts
shadeslane said:
Tom -
I have a GSD who I "rescued" as a young dog from a very abusive situation (mostly at the hands of small children, no less). She went thru stages from borderline shy to outright terrifed, and showed a lot of fear based aggression. I went back to the basics with her. For a while I abandoned socialization, focused her entirely on me until we had immediate response to commands EVERY time, then added diversions. (positive reinforcement, not forced training) Then went back to socialization exercises. She's almost 9 now, still doesn't like strange people around, but she knows if she just concentrates on me, she'll be fine. If someone comes too close, she's allowed to growl at them, but then she looks to me to rectify the situation. That took a LOT of work, but she's a much happier dog now.
But (please don't take offense at this, just what I've told my students for years) you may (notice I said MAY) need to work on yourself as much as your dog. Dogs read their owner's every move and, sometimes it seems, their every thought. You may be unconsciously supporting your dog's fear/aggression.
In my experience, if you can get a shy/fearful dog to look to you for its next move, you've won the battle. That takes a ton of confidence building work, obedience work and trust, but it can be done.
Good luck!

Excellant post shadeslane!!! Great advice, Especially the very last part!

· Registered
6,590 Posts
Glad to hear it's going so well! You are clearly doing a GREAT job Tom! Of course in a perfect world no one or no animals would push the limit with our dogs by reaching for them to far or grabbing at them, but it does happen, it's wonderful that King is learning to accept it so well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.