Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to Dobermans and I've also never had a dog this large before. I have a 5 1/2 month old puppy. He never barked before but he has recently started barking when he hears distinctly the either of my neighbors male voices in their yards or if someone screams next door in the yard. I tell him NO and he stops but I'm not sure if I'm training an important instinct out of him. So when is an appropriate time for him to bark? Is it okay for me to stop him from barking at the neighbors voices and will he still have the instinct to bark when it is important like if there is someone lurking near the house? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Mine do the same thing, if they hear a noise through the fence they wanna let me know about it. As long as he stops when you tell him to, in my opinion he is just doing his job.

Teaching a dog to never bark is not a good thing. It's his "warning system". You would be taking away a key verbalization, a method of communicating. Some of the most dangerous dogs I have ever met were the ones coming through the shelter who didn't verbalize before reacting.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
:neutral:My won't bark if she hears something and is very timid when someone comes in. But my Minpin barks at EVERYTHING, cats, deer, other dogs barking over the next farm. Makes me crazy. The Dob will be on the couch and the door bell will ring, all 5 other dogs will run to the door raising heck, the Dob looks up as to say, well they are all there, why should I bother getting up an strain my voice....................

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Barking is a perfectly natural thing, however its unlikely a 5 1/2 month old puppy would be guarding, so it could be out of nerves. I wouldnt discourage it or encourage it unless it is excessive, I would simply ignore. If its just a couple of barks when there is someone outside, that’s perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

I teach my boys 'Speak' and 'Enough' so I can make them bark and stop barking on command. To teach this I say 'Speak' when I catch them barking, then when they're barking and they stop I say 'Enough' and reward. Gradually I say 'enough' and lengthen the time between giving the reward.

If im walking on my own in the park at night and I get bad vibes from someone or someone is drunk for example, I get him to let out a few barks, just to remind them I'm not really alone :) And its a fun game for them to learn. My boys love barking!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
As long as he stops when you tell him to, in my opinion he is just doing his job.

Teaching a dog to never bark is not a good thing. It's his "warning system". You would be taking away a key verbalization, a method of communicating. Some of the most dangerous dogs I have ever met were the ones coming through the shelter who didn't verbalize before reacting.
This is how it works with my boy too.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
If possible introduce to neighbors so he knows their voice.
You should use "okay" to reassure him first and that you are aware. Thanks!!
Then when excessive Enuf!!!
If u are using these commands elsewhere, he should start grasping.
I've introduced my Nubis to my neighbors, he sees them, he stares, wags his tail. Perfect scenario, he has no reason to bark now. Someone visiting them in their yard, if he barked for Alert, Okay, Thanks, and enuf or quiet if he continues.
Both my neighbors speak foreign language often, so for my yard its too my advantage.
Both are fixing their houses, different power tools, I give reassuring Okays, and we continue fetch or other activities.
Try different things and hopefully you find the solution.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I will agree with Sam&Macks, no is not a command. You are telling him not to bark. Thus teaching him that is a behavior you dont want. I tell my dogs "thanks" for letting me know something is there. Then tell them "enough" if they continue past what needs to be. When someone new moves into the rent house next door they will bark a bit more for the first week. I have a wooden fence and a small 8 foot section behind the shed is wire. They run over there sometimes and bark when they have company or new kids are over playing. I tell them enough and they are to stop! I was very consistent and used a couple different methods. It didnt take as long as I had expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts