Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alternatively titled post - is my puppy just smarter than me?

I’m hoping y’all can give me some puppy insights and help me to me better understand if this is a phase or an actual issue. It stems from what I perceive as a dislike for his food. Enzo just doesn’t like to eat the food he’s been on forever anymore. So far, I’ve been trying the “tough love” approach, where I remove food if he walks away from it. This is only sort of working and I’m tired of and stressed out by watching him walk away from food.

Some background - Enzo is now 9 months old, and eating PPP lg breed puppy. He used to eat this with great gusto. Somewhere along the way he damaged a tooth bud (2nd molar alllll the way back), and I didn’t notice until all his adult teeth were in and he was not eating well. That dental issue was addressed about a month ago, but his appetite for the PPP never really recovered. However, I often use other brands of kibble for training which he eats willingly, but there is just no interest in eating the PPP. Not in a bowl, from a toy, from my hand, nothing. He’s otherwise in excellent health, with a fabulous coat, great energy, and while he is pretty lean, he’s not too thin. (I would love for him to gain a few pounds but that’s just me).

The question is do you think this is puppy being picky and I should continue the course we are on? Or, is it possible he developed a bad association with this food when his mouth was painful, and it is not unreasonable to transition to a new food? I don’t know what to do in order to not set myself up with a picky eater for life. (I’ve considered it may just be my stress about food causing this problem too).

puppy picture attached for tax

·
Big Lil pup
6,599 Posts
Hi Tobe. Hi Enzo

People change kibble all the time for less reason than what you re describing.

This is just my opinion, but at 9 months, you should probably be moving Enzo away from a puppy formula anyway. I may be biased, as I feed my 6 year old PPP. Still... If it were my pup, I would probably give one of their other formulas a try. I know a lot of folks have a very good experience with PPP Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Specifically the Salmon and Rice blend. I feed my boy PPP Savor Salmon and Rice, a different formula, for no reason other than it was the first one that we tried and he not only loves it, but does really well on it. So, I've no reason to try anything else.

Whatever you do, remember to transition to a new food over a period of time. When I switched McCoy to PPP, it was from Acana Meadowland which is a much different kibble, and still the change was no big deal.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
22,193 Posts
Oh, Enzo...you are stressing your mama out!

(Tobester and I have had many conversations about this, and I know she'd appreciate some other insights!)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, Enzo...you are stressing your mama out!

(Tobester and I have had many conversations about this, and I know she'd appreciate some other insights!)
Thanks MC <3. He is stressing me out! I do think it is reasonable he just has a negative association with this food now. But I don't want to discount that he could be learning to be picky.

·
Super Moderator
22,193 Posts
I think John has some solid advice! Could totally change to an adult formula without "giving in..." :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tobe. Hi Enzo

People change kibble all the time for less reason than what you re describing.

This is just my opinion, but at 9 months, you should probably be moving Enzo away from a puppy formula anyway. I may be biased, as I feed my 6 year old PPP. Still... If it were my pup, I would probably give one of their other formulas a try. I know a lot of folks have a very good experience with PPP Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Specifically the Salmon and Rice blend. I feed my boy PPP Savor Salmon and Rice, a different formula, for no reason other than it was the first one that we tried and he not only loves it, but does really well on it. So, I've no reason to try anything else.

Whatever you do, remember to transition to a new food over a period of time. When I switched McCoy to PPP, it was from Acana Meadowland which is a much different kibble, and still the change was no big deal.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Thanks for responding John! My vet and his breeder (also a vet) had recommended keeping him on puppy formula awhile longer if possible. However, what he won't eat doesn't do him any good. I think I will try a small bag of one or two of the adult formulas and see if he'll accept it as training treats the next couple of days to "taste test" without doing a full food transition.

·
Registered
75 Posts
People will disagree with me, but I personally don't believe in feeding the same food forever. It's highly unlikely that a dog would eat the same food every day for ever. They would catch and find other animals and it would change up all the time.
Imo change up the food, would you like to eat the same food all the time ?

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
Aw ad_adrian, we'll just need to agree to disagree on this particular issue. No, I probably wouldn't like to eat the same food all the time but I'm not a dog.

Over the years (a lot of years with both Dobes and other breeds) I've found the fewer changes I make in feeding and that goes for what I feed (which brand, whether adult or puppy) and what I give with it and even on when I feed the fewer changes once the dog is on a food he likes, that agrees with him, that keeps him in prime shape, glossy coat, bright eyes and lots of energy the better he seems to do.

After years of feeding a large breed puppy food for pups between 8 weeks and about 10 months and then switching to adult food I found that going back to the beginning of my Dobes (when there really wasn't a commercial product suitable for large breed puppies--only the general purpose puppy food which didn't work so well because it encouraged too fast growth in the bigger breeds. Those dogs, on the advice of breeders and vets usually were weaned on adult food and stay on it through the puppyhood. So for the last 25 years I've returned to doing that--I feed whatever the breeder was feeding for the first month and make a slow transition to the adult food I usually feed. If one puppy/dog doesn't do well on that partcular food I make a change. But basically once the dog is on a food that clearly provides what he needs and it shows in his looks and his attitude he stays on that. And if, as has happened a couple of times the dog (or in one case a cat) needs to be on a prescription food for a specific condition--that's what they get. But I don't keep changing foods.

If someone is feeding raw--I think it is always recommended that they change what raw meats are fed--and that makes sense to me too but I don't feed raw and I don't keep changing food.

dobebug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts