Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
I am thinking of removing the crate divider in my pups sleep crate. Wanted to see if anyone knows of any reason not to. He is 5 months old and only sleeps in his crate. He has never soiled the crate, and we keep expanding it, but want to give him the full space since he likes to sleep stretched out. Anything I should be weary of? He has a separate crate he goes in when we go out and for lunch break.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you can trust your dog not to do their business in the crate, I don't see any reason to not remove the divider to give them more space. I removed our divider for the same reason around 4 months. He was consistently not having accidents in the crate, so I decided to remove it all together.

We didn't have an issue, but if for some reason your pup had an accident in the crate, you can always add the divider back in to limit the space.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently went through the same choice. My 5 month old boy needed a bit more space. He's been accident free inside and outside the crate for several weeks. I removed it, and he had an accident the first night - in the crate! However, I believe that was a one off instance. Nothing since then (that was about 5 days ago)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I removed it and he loved the extra space to stretch out. I even climbed in to test the comfy-ness. :) Quite the space he has, soft bedding , blankie from his mom, toy from his littermates, and his heartbeat puppy. Hope is totally spoiled!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Be careful when leaving things in crate when unsupervised at this age.
Its OK, till its not OK.
Negative behavior can start when you least expect it.
Until more mature be proactive by not giving pup the opportunity to chew.
Unsupervised....empty crate of toys and towels or blankets.
Exception is a real strong Kong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts