Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at Jamba Juice (a smoothie place for those of you that don't know, kind of like a healthy Smoothie King, we don't add sugar etc. but definitely have our unhealthy stuff too... my favorite = peanut butter moo'd, it's like a Reese's smoothie, but I'm getting off-topic here aren't I?) where people can order wheatgrass shots. We have this wheatgrass book available on our merch shelf along with the other books and things like tote bags, baseball hats, etc. that nobody ever buys, and I was bored so I flipped through it today and found it talked a lot about giving it to dogs too. I thought that was strange. Any thoughts on this?

If it's legitimate and you want to start giving your dogs wheatgrass, go up to your local Jamba and ask for your shot to go. ;)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hmmmm... I thought I was familiar with most dog breeds, but "Welch Terrier" is a new one for me! LOL!

No thoughts on wheatgrass for dogs. I feed raw, and do suspect that there is probably benefit to dogs from selected veggies and fruits. If I was thinking about adding wheatgrass, my first choice of research materials would NOT be books advocating the use of wheatgrass, though.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
The Benefits of Wheatgrass Wheatgrass Benefits

Wheatgrass, as the name suggests, is the grass of young wheat plants. It is also a powerful health food supplement that is packed with highly concentrated vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll and enzymes. Nutritionally, wheatgrass is a complete food that contains 98 of the 102 earth elements.

Wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice are excellent ways to get dark greens in the diet. Pound for pound, wheatgrass is more than twenty times denser in nutrients than other choice vegetables. Since it is considered a vegetable in the grass stage, wheatgrass is safe for people with wheat allergies. Juicing unlocks even more nutrients from wheatgrass, making them more concentrated and usable to the cells of the body.

Dr. Ann Wigmore, proponent of a "living foods diet", has embraced the benefits of wheatgrass in her teachings and writing. According to Dr. Wigmore, wheatgrass has an exceptional ability to both nourish and detoxify the body.

One of the ingredients with major benefit in wheatgrass is chlorophyll, which has the ability to draw toxins from the body like a magnet. Considered the "blood of plants", chlorophyll can soothe and heal tissues internally. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is high in oxygen and light energy, which can provide the brain and body tissues with an optimal environment in which to function. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass also has antibacterial properties, which can stop the development of harmful bacteria in the body.

Wheatgrass juice has external benefits as well. It can be used as a scalp treatment to restore luster to hair, as a skin cleanser and astringent, and as a sinus treatment.

Wheatgrass juice can also be added to bath water to stimulate circulation, and it can be applied topically to help heal cuts and bruises. In addition, gargling with wheatgrass juice can ease a sore throat.

A major benefit of taking wheatgrass juice is that it is easily digested with little energy. Wheatgrass provides crude chlorophyll from a living plant, which is the most effective way to gain the full therapeutic benefits of chlorophyll. Just an ounce of wheatgrass juice per day provides a host of benefits, while a therapeutic program to treat a specific condition or illness may include two or three ounces. It is a complete food with no side effects. Many people grow their own organic wheatgrass and use juicers to make their own juice.

One Shot of Wheatgrass Juice

One ounce contains 103 vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
One ounce of wheatgrass juice represents as much nutritional value as approximately 2.5 pounds of fresh green vegetables.
Wheatgrass juice is high in chlorophyll.
It is very high in vitamins A, B-Complex, C, E and K.
Wheatgrass juice is a natural source of laetrile (B-17).
It contains beta-carotene, which is found in red, green and yellow pigmented fruits and vegetables. Beta-carotene acts as a scavenger against harmful molecules flowing naturally through the body or through toxins inhaled from cigarette smoke, air pollution and other damaging sources.
Wheatgrass cleanses, purifies and feeds the body by activating the white blood cells, which boost the body's immune system.
Wheatgrass juice is also beneficial for people who need to lose weight or cleanse their bodies.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Wheatgrass, as the name suggests, is the grass of young wheat plants. It is also a powerful health food supplement that is packed with highly concentrated vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll and enzymes. Nutritionally, wheatgrass is a complete food that contains 98 of the 102 earth elements.

Wheatgrass and wheatgrass juice are excellent ways to get dark greens in the diet. Pound for pound, wheatgrass is more than twenty times denser in nutrients than other choice vegetables. Since it is considered a vegetable in the grass stage, wheatgrass is safe for people with wheat allergies. Juicing unlocks even more nutrients from wheatgrass, making them more concentrated and usable to the cells of the body.

Dr. Ann Wigmore, proponent of a "living foods diet", has embraced the benefits of wheatgrass in her teachings and writing. According to Dr. Wigmore, wheatgrass has an exceptional ability to both nourish and detoxify the body.

One of the ingredients with major benefit in wheatgrass is chlorophyll, which has the ability to draw toxins from the body like a magnet. Considered the "blood of plants", chlorophyll can soothe and heal tissues internally. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is high in oxygen and light energy, which can provide the brain and body tissues with an optimal environment in which to function. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass also has antibacterial properties, which can stop the development of harmful bacteria in the body.

Wheatgrass juice has external benefits as well. It can be used as a scalp treatment to restore luster to hair, as a skin cleanser and astringent, and as a sinus treatment.

Wheatgrass juice can also be added to bath water to stimulate circulation, and it can be applied topically to help heal cuts and bruises. In addition, gargling with wheatgrass juice can ease a sore throat.

A major benefit of taking wheatgrass juice is that it is easily digested with little energy. Wheatgrass provides crude chlorophyll from a living plant, which is the most effective way to gain the full therapeutic benefits of chlorophyll. Just an ounce of wheatgrass juice per day provides a host of benefits, while a therapeutic program to treat a specific condition or illness may include two or three ounces. It is a complete food with no side effects. Many people grow their own organic wheatgrass and use juicers to make their own juice.

One ounce of wheatgrass juice represents as much nutritional value as approximately 2.5 pounds of fresh green vegetables.
It contains beta-carotene, which is found in red, green and yellow pigmented fruits and vegetables. Beta-carotene acts as a scavenger against harmful molecules flowing naturally through the body or through toxins inhaled from cigarette smoke, air pollution and other damaging sources.
Wheatgrass cleanses, purifies and feeds the body by activating the white blood cells, which boost the body's immune system.
Wheatgrass juice is also beneficial for people who need to lose weight or cleanse their bodies.
In other words, the consumption of wheatgrass is the sacrement of a cult? If I add it to vinegar and kefir and colloidal silver and a vegan/paleo (depending on the day of the week) diet and oxygen drops (oh, wait... never mind... WHEATGRASS contains oxygen!), never get a vaccination and opt for homeopathic remedies instead of being duped by the conspiracy that is Big Pharma... I get to live forever and ever, becoming ever younger, healthier and better in every way? Cool!

·
formerly eventermal
3,505 Posts
What does wheatgrass taste like? I keep wanting to try it but it looks yucky :p

I love juice bars, I love any juice with watermelon in it... nomnomnom!!!!
It tastes like grass. Pretty much exactly how you would expect it to taste, maybe worse. :tonguezzz

Reactions: Adara and Sherryh

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In other words, the consumption of wheatgrass is the sacrement of a cult? If I add it to vinegar and kefir and colloidal silver and a vegan/paleo (depending on the day of the week) diet and oxygen drops (oh, wait... never mind... WHEATGRASS contains oxygen!), never get a vaccination and opt for homeopathic remedies instead of being duped by the conspiracy that is Big Pharma... I get to live forever and ever, becoming ever younger, healthier and better in every way? Cool!
Of course! It also cures all forms of cancer.

I'm kidding... but apparently it does help people with diabetes... hey, I just know the basics for when people ask about it at work and I know how to say "would you like an orange wedge with that?" ;)

And yeah, it pretty much tastes like if you got a bunch of grass and put it through a juices and drank it. But eating an orange wedge (like lime after tequila) or drinking a "chaser" really helps. Your burps will still taste like grass for the rest of the day, though.

I take wheatgrass shots every once in a while, as well as superfruit shots... mostly because I get them for free. But I am a pretty healthy person, so who knows.

I just thought it was interesting that they talked so much about giving it to dogs, though. I wonder how it would help my horses. :p

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

I need to go to the Vitamin Shoppe and see if they carry this.........it's funny but I've been reading about this also....my vet loves when I ask her about holistic herbs/vitamins.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I work at Jamba Juice (a smoothie place for those of you that don't know, kind of like a healthy Smoothie King, we don't add sugar etc. but definitely have our unhealthy stuff too... my favorite = peanut butter moo'd, it's like a Reese's smoothie, but I'm getting off-topic here aren't I?) where people can order wheatgrass shots. We have this wheatgrass book available on our merch shelf along with the other books and things like tote bags, baseball hats, etc. that nobody ever buys, and I was bored so I flipped through it today and found it talked a lot about giving it to dogs too. I thought that was strange. Any thoughts on this?

If it's legitimate and you want to start giving your dogs wheatgrass, go up to your local Jamba and ask for your shot to go. ;)
Would you make me a smoothie with wheatgrass but put strawberries or something to cover the taste? I make smoothies everyday so teach me what you know LOL! You made me hungry!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sherryh, if you put wheatgrass in a smoothie there's pretty much nothing that can mask that taste. It's best to just take the shot itself and drink some OJ afterwards, its really not that bad. If you put wheatgrass in a smoothie, it'll still have that grassy aftertaste... blah.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
We just got back from SuperZoo (its 3 days of everything for pets, from food to grooming, new products) Convention in Las Vegas. It should be a week long. Talked to this company Bellrock Growers about wheat grass. It was interesting to find out that 1 pound of wheat grass is equal in protein and overall nutritional value to 23 pounds of garden vegetables. If you want to get more info go to the web site below. They make treats for dogs, cats, birds, reptiles. They also have kits to grow your own wheat grass.

Bell Rock Growers :: Powered with Green Nutrition™

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,837 Posts
i have grown it before.........bought organic wheat seeds from a health food store................filled a planting tray with good soil, sprinkled the seeds on top, lightly covered with soil, kept damp, and soon had a tray full of wheat grass to trim and use for quite sometime.

Some people keep a tray on their deck for their cats and dogs to feed on too. :)

Also it has been grown hydroponically (sp?) no soil, in trays to feed to horses who have colic issues.

you can trim, dry and powder it to add to your pets diet.

I do not grow it anymore as my dogs prefer to feed on the couch grass that grows wild in my yard.They love it. :)

·
Registered
12,081 Posts

mmctag
...I have never tried Wheetgrass / but I am thinking I should, based on my goggle search, last night.
- and this is not CULT thinking or a conspiracy theory / many good healthy foods, have been supressed by big business/aka. lobbyist

FYI
- my dobe AMY also gets ground up Apricot seeds occasionally (5 seeds ground in a mortar pestle).
She will turn the ripe old age of 11 y/o, in December.
I can't be doing much wrong in my line of thinking and questioning the status-quo...LOL...or thinking outside the food box !!
You are welcome to your opinion and respectfully I am too...and if I think I have something to add, I will.
(I don't believe it's cult Voo-Doo)

Apricot Seeds Kill Cancer Cells without Side Effects:
(NaturalNews) Are apricot seeds a source for a natural substance that kills cancer cells without destroying the cancer victim's health and wealth? The essential ingredient has been called laetrile or vitamin B 17. If there is any merit to it, why is this information being suppressed? Why are people who have been cured or have cured others being censured and imprisoned? Could be there is something to the claims.

Keep in mind that the cancer industry world wide is estimated at a 200 billion dollar a year industry. There are many in various associated positions within that industry who would be without a job if that cash flow dried up suddenly with the news that there are cheaper, less harmful, and more efficacious remedies available. Big Pharmacy would virtually vanish.

What is B17, or Laetrile Anyway?........(please link to full article, below:)
Learn more: Apricot Seeds Kill Cancer Cells without Side Effects

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

mmctag
...I have never tried Wheetgrass / but I am thinking I should, based on my goggle search, last night.
- and this is not CULT thinking or a conspiracy theory / many good healthy foods, have been supressed by big business/aka. lobbyist

FYI
- my dobe AMY also gets ground up Apricot seeds occasionally (5 seeds ground in a mortar pestle).
She will turn the ripe old age of 11 y/o, in December.
I can't be doing much wrong in my line of thinking and questioning the status-quo...LOL...or thinking outside the food box !!
You are welcome to your opinion and respectfully I am too...and if I think I have something to add, I will.
(I don't believe it's cult Voo-Doo)

Apricot Seeds Kill Cancer Cells without Side Effects:
(NaturalNews) Are apricot seeds a source for a natural substance that kills cancer cells without destroying the cancer victim's health and wealth? The essential ingredient has been called laetrile or vitamin B 17. If there is any merit to it, why is this information being suppressed? Why are people who have been cured or have cured others being censured and imprisoned? Could be there is something to the claims.

Keep in mind that the cancer industry world wide is estimated at a 200 billion dollar a year industry. There are many in various associated positions within that industry who would be without a job if that cash flow dried up suddenly with the news that there are cheaper, less harmful, and more efficacious remedies available. Big Pharmacy would virtually vanish.

What is B17, or Laetrile Anyway?........(please link to full article, below:)
Learn more: Apricot Seeds Kill Cancer Cells without Side Effects
If you can find a site touting the wonders of wheatgrass that does NOT either seek to make money or link directly to a site that makes money off of the wonders of wheatgrass, I would be interested. It seems to be the "flavor of the month" with snake oil proponants.

As for Amy... dunno why you brought this up, but she is what statisticians would refer to as "an N of one." The oldest Doberman I personally know has been fed Kibbles 'N' Bits for his whole life, and the oldest Great Dane I personally know has gotten to over 15 on Pedigree. Oddly, my dog is having grass-fed goat for supper.

A little more for you on Laetrile and it's history: The Rise and Fall of Laetrile. My apricot seeds will continue to go in the trash where I have always put them. Do you think that if someone actually HAD a magic cancer cure that WORKED, that person would not become an instant, world-famous gazillionaire? Do you think that oncologists who get cancer eat apricot pits? There are hundreds of substances and therapies which are claiming to be the magic cure, supressed by politics and money. If any significant number of people were successfully treated, people from all over the world would be beating down the doors, and Big Pharma would simply figure out how to get a piece of the pie.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.