Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
1,994 Posts
If the dogs are really that obnoxious and unruly, I would probably say no. But I know it can be a tough situation. Family and friends' dogs are welcome in our home, but not if the dogs are going to be rude about it. I don't like dogs playing/rough housing inside the house, and somebody we know has a dog that non-stop runs around our house when he comes over. It is beyond annoying and gets all of my dogs riled up too, which is not fair to me (trying to visit and constantly having to tell the dogs to knock it off) and nor is it fair to my dogs. But, we allow that dog to come over anyway because I know it would just cause bigger problems if we didn't. Especially around the holidays.

Reactions: OliviaB and brw1982

· Holier Than Now
22,478 Posts
I could, but they yap NONSTOP when crated. And you know a little terrier yap... I can't stand a yappy dog! Probably why I'm not a small dog person :)
Just so you know, small dogs are just...dogs.

And if they are treated that way, as "real dogs", and trained, then they don't "yap" constantly.

I get what you're saying about your particular situation, but I'd hate to see the focus shift from poor puppy-raising by your in-laws to little-dog-hating :)

· Registered
4,321 Posts
I'm my experience the little dog problem is that they are LITTLE, and treated that way. A 5lb dog with food aggression or resource guarding (just an example) isn't seen as a problem, no matter how out of control it gets. Might wind up with a teensy puncture or maybe a finger bruised. A dobe with the same problem unaddressed can break your hand.

Some people fail to correct the behavior cuz the stakes aren't as high. Not all, but too many. I know where I'm located, if there were as many out of control big dogs as there were psycho ankle biters, it would be a dangerous place!

· Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Murreydobe on this one!

We had a friend who brought his Min Pin/Fox Terrier mix dog over this past summer for a doggy play date with our Dobe and Min Pin. Keep in mind that our friend is just like your in-laws and does nothing to correct his dogs agressive behaviour.

At one point I went to pet him and he showed me all his teeth and lunged at me which is when our Dobe stepped in to give him a warning. He then jumped up on our couch to get at the same level as our Dobe and peed all over it. Our Dobe then jumped up on the couch with him and knocked him right off.

The night ended with all 3 dogs in their crates for their own safety.

With Dobes you need to be extremely careful as they are very protective of their owners. Luckily he only gave our friends dog a warning otherwise we would be in a really bad spot right about now.

In any case, his dog is no longer welcome in my home which we have advised him of until he get his dog trained and under control.

My personal opinion is to ensure your own dogs safety first by saying no to them bring the dogs. Speaking from experience, things can escalate rather quickly especially if they are being treated like babies and not dogs.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
I must admit I wouldnt take my dogs to someone elses house, even if they were related to me. I guess you will just have to get hubby to tell them they can come but not the dogs, which will mean they won't so it is a win, win situation, kinda.

· Registered
62 Posts
I agree with most of the people on here that say it probably isn't a good idea.
you can't expect someone to be ok with welcoming your pet(s) in your home, especially if there are untrained, and have no manners. (are they destructive too?)

since you do have another dog (especially a doberman and another male - possibility of fights/pissing contests etc) and since your MIL defends the dogs (even when your toddler was potentially in danger!! O,O)
I don't think they should be welcome.

My mother has refused extended-family pets, and that did put her in the doghouse for a bit, but IMHO YOUR immediate family's safety/sanity should be your main concern.

:) hope I things work out for you

· denormalized
5,846 Posts
I could, but they yap NONSTOP when crated. And you know a little terrier yap...my ears would be ringing for days ;) My husband and I have tried ever since they got them (4 years ago) to help them with training or at least some manners, but my MIL refuses. She looks at them as her babies, and gets pissed at us if we try to stop a bad behavior. Last time I visited them, the male was jumping all over my toddler and knocking him down. I corrected him, and she got pissed at me and said he was just trying to say Hi. She humanizes them to the point that she can't see anything wrong with what they do. It's beyond frustrating, but not my problem I guess.
Oh, and I'm with you. I can't stand a yappy dog! Probably why I'm not a small dog person :)
That is out of line . But the child would Honestly be your best excuse to say no while being polite. Say that you don't want them to hurt him on accident or maybe say he plays to rough even though he doesn't just something of the sort.
I agree with 'No'. I think you may need to play your big stick - you said one of your children has special needs and I would play that out to mean that dogs he doesn't know very well and who aren't very calm are a no-no. I don't want to upset you, but often dogs will react poorly to children who have disabilities of the physical kind and some autistic children who act unexpectedly can cause dogs to react poorly. Gunner is maturing along with your children and is conditioned to accept what goes on (I really don't know if anything goes on of course), but that would be my line.

· Registered
421 Posts
It's frustrating because I know that if I was allowed to work with them for a bit or at least treat them like a dog instead of a human baby, I could probably get them to be at least somewhat tolerable. BUT, their owners (mostly my mother in law) refuses to allow me to do anything with them. My father in law really doesn't like them and has said many times he would give them away in a heartbeat but he can't because of his wife. They drive him crazy too I think.
I can see how this would be a frustrating situation! Especially if you get along fairly decently with the in-laws when the dogs aren't in the situation.

I think that if you are questioning about letting the dogs come over then you should probably listen to your gut instinct.

I mean, you *could* always say, "Fine. You can bring your dogs, but I will be correcting their behaviour if I find they're doing something rude." If she agrees to that then, hey, maybe like one of the previous posters found, you'll have the dogs listening to you, and might enjoy their company. Or if she doesn't like it, you've given her the options, and she's now on the hook for finding a place for her dogs to go. Tough luck to her.

Or

You could tell her that you think it'll be too crazy at the house with three dogs, four adults and (at least) one kid, and so you do not want the dogs coming over -- it'll jut be added stress with them there. If she gets mad, then oh well, she'll get over it eventually... I mean you do have the upper hand here..it is YOUR house..anddddd... you have her grandchild.. if she wants to see her grandchild she'll HAVE to get over it ;) (haha low blow... I know :) )

Reactions: OliviaB

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks again for the replies :) I'm glad most people agree that it's probably not a good idea...didn't want to feel like I was being mean or anything. I'm genuinely concerned for the safety of the dogs and also for the quality of the visit.

Gunner NEVER goes to their house. Actually since we got him, he's been my excuse not to go ;)

As far as little dogs, allow me to clarify. I think that if raised correctly, little dogs can be wonderful and don't have to be yappy and annoying. Unfortunately, the majority of people with small dogs treat them like babies or don't take their behavior issues seriously, thus turning them into yappy little furballs. I don't blame the dog though as they are only a product of how the human raises them. I also know that there are exceptions to this rule. BUT, where my inlaws are concerned, they have ruined their dogs to the point that they are so obnoxious most people can't stand to be around them.

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I agree with 'No'. I think you may need to play your big stick - you said one of your children has special needs and I would play that out to mean that dogs he doesn't know very well and who aren't very calm are a no-no. I don't want to upset you, but often dogs will react poorly to children who have disabilities of the physical kind and some autistic children who act unexpectedly can cause dogs to react poorly. Gunner is maturing along with your children and is conditioned to accept what goes on (I really don't know if anything goes on of course), but that would be my line.
That's a VERY good idea! Landon loves dogs but can often get too hyper with them. With Gunner he's fine because Gunner is so easy going and laid back. With the terriers, I know that they would just feed off of each other and it could get dangerous. The male has snapped at Landon before without much warning...he's just unstable in general. The female is a lot calmer, but fearful and doesn't appreciate a rowdy child. I also wonder if Gunner would get protective in that situation. Obviously not a situation I want to tempt, but it could be another excuse to tell them No.

· denormalized
5,846 Posts
if it is just for a few days.........deal with it. If you have advance knowledge of their coming..............well, prepare for them. :)

what's one or more, more dogs. :)
Depends how ugly this makes the relationship (having small dogs without manners having free run of the house), esp when DH is not there to intervene or help with the house rules. I for one would not tolerate someone's yapping dog in my house running around with bad behavior. But then I have many reasons why people would not choose to bring their dogs to my house. Pity that Daria has passed, she was my greatest ally in that regard - just ask Bean, DR or Jenny ;).

Reactions: OliviaB

· Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Depends how ugly this makes the relationship (having small dogs without manners having free run of the house), esp when DH is not there to intervene or help with the house rules. I for one would not tolerate someone's yapping dog in my house running around with bad behavior. But then I have many reasons why people would not choose to bring their dogs to my house. Pity that Daria has passed, she was my greatest ally in that regard - just ask Bean, DR or Jenny ;).
Another good point....my husband won't be home for Thanksgiving, so that visit I'll be doing it all on my own. I think for my own sanity, the dogs are definitely not coming then. They want to stay a week...I would probably go bald from pulling my hair out :p

Christmas my hubby will be home (hopefully!) and the visit will be only a couple of days so I may consider it then IF they keep the dogs crated and are fully aware of the rules beforehand. I will just have to get firm and explain that in my house, the dogs have rules. If you can't help me enforce them, then leave them at home. My MIL will pout but she'll get over it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.