Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking because my in-laws are wanting to come visit with us for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have no problem with this, but they have two very out of control mini schnauzers. They have no money to board them so they are wanting to bring their dogs with them. They would be crated, but honestly they drive me crazy with their constant yapping and hyperness. Also, the male is very dog aggressive but my in-laws are clueless. They think that his behavior is cute and do nothing to stop it. They also have asked many times to let Gunner meet them and play with them, but obviously that's NOT happening. Gunner is not dog aggressive, but if their male terrier challenges him, I know what would happen. Okay, so my question is...should I allow them to bring the dogs and just deal with it for a few days, or is there something I should be concerned about regarding Gunner? Even if we keep them separate, could having another aggressive male dog in his home and using his yard cause issues? I want them to come visit, but I really dread dealing with those dogs. I also know that they are clueless though and won't understand my reasoning for wanting them to stay at home.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hm, I've dealt with aggressive small dogs (pekes and other asian breeds) and gating off sections of the house works. Maybe let them have the guest room or hallway, while Gunner has free run, or rotate to put him in his crate in your room?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were me, I would just pay to board their dogs for them. Seems like a nice gesture and saves you the hassle.
I wish we could do that, but they are not caught up on vaccines (I know...don't get me started on that lol) so we would have to pay for both of them to get caught up, two dogs to board for two weeks, and any other expenses that might come up. Honestly, I'm just not willing to do that. We were against them getting the dogs to begin with because they are first time dog owners, chose two terriers at once, and don't have the money to care for them. I will do what I can I guess if they do bring them here, but I'm just not prepared to pay a huge amount for two dogs that aren't even mine. Plus they are coming again in December and would expect us to do it again.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hm, I've dealt with aggressive small dogs (pekes and other asian breeds) and gating off sections of the house works. Maybe let them have the guest room or hallway, while Gunner has free run, or rotate to put him in his crate in your room?
If they do come, I would probably insist that they be crated most of the time. They bark CONSTANTLY and would drive Gunner crazy. The male has no problem going after another dog and won't stop because he's been taught no manners and has zero training. I just feel like it would be chaos. I'm willing to try it because I do want our family together...I just need to figure out how to work things to minimize the stress. My first priority is Gunner and keeping him happy.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I wish we could do that, but they are not caught up on vaccines (I know...don't get me started on that lol) so we would have to pay for both of them to get caught up, two dogs to board for two weeks, and any other expenses that might come up. Honestly, I'm just not willing to do that. We were against them getting the dogs to begin with because they are first time dog owners, chose two terriers at once, and don't have the money to care for them. I will do what I can I guess if they do bring them here, but I'm just not prepared to pay a huge amount for two dogs that aren't even mine. Plus they are coming again in December and would expect us to do it again.
It's a difficult one, how often do they actually visit you, thing is, if it isnt often whilst your other half may say he understands and agrees with you, they are still his parents, annoying as they may be.
Obviously you don't want to have to put your boy in the kennels for a week whilst they are there, it is his home after all.

If I were you, and of course you don't have to listen to a word I am saying, I would lay a few ground rules, explain that whilst you are happy to have them over, if their little darlings cause any problems, you will expect them to sort it out pronto. You could use the old male on male aggression problem, their little boy starts it, Dobe will finish it.

It makes me cringe when I hear folk have gotten dogs that they cannot afford to take care of. Obviously circumstances can change during the time you own a dog, but if you cannot afford to vacinate it right from the start then how fair is it that they are keeping the dogs and how fair is it that they are bringing them to your house.

By the way, get your other half to do the telling. That way they can't blame it on Daughter in law being a awkward.

·
Super Moderator
22,695 Posts
I would personally tell them no. Puppies can certainly pick up bad habits (barking all the time) from other dogs. Plus, I would never expose my dog to a dog aggressive dog if I had the choice.

Our personal policy is no strange dogs allowed in our house. That means we can have playdates with dogs that are friends, but even those times I don't bring the other dog into our house. Both of my dogs are incredibly selective about the dogs they like. There are dogs that are friends that they wouldn't tolerate in the house. I also have to be really careful because we have cats.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I allow other dogs in the home as long as they get along with my dogs and my roommates dog. This is simply due to the fact that every friend and family member I have has a dog and they all take them everywhere like me this is why they are my friends . As long as their dog likes mine and respect my home the more the merrier but if they are to rowdy inside or don't like my dogs I offer that they could keep them in my yard for a few hours while they visit but no over night. If I were you I wouldn't let the come my self named "dog shuffle" where you have to rotate them inside and outside without making contact has to be the most annoying and tiring thing and I have put my foot down that it wont happen.. I recently had to do this with my brother and his Great Dane cause my pit bull decided the great Dane wasn't his friend any more.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Is there a way you can say yes, with the understanding that it will be a crate situation pretty much exclusively? Maybe use some structured walks with them, without your boy, to "help" and bounce around some thoughts on training? Not in a "this dog is a terror" kinda way, but more of a "wow, he's so energetic and smart!. Let's see if we can teach him a few tricks (sit, heel, etc)"

I'm not a yappy dog fan, they are SO annoying. But then, so are in laws ;-) neither are going away, so make the best and try to guide the situation as best you can.

·
Super Moderator
22,695 Posts
Is there a way you can say yes, with the understanding that it will be a crate situation pretty much exclusively? Maybe use some structured walks with them, without your boy, to "help" and bounce around some thoughts on training? Not in a "this dog is a terror" kinda way, but more of a "wow, he's so energetic and smart!. Let's see if we can teach him a few tricks (sit, heel, etc)"

I'm not a yappy dog fan, they are SO annoying. But then, so are in laws ;-) neither are going away, so make the best and try to guide the situation as best you can.
If you do say yes, I would absolutely do what monicaei suggests, with the added caution that I would NOT allow any interaction with Gunner, just to be safe.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sorry, I'm old, and I just say no. I don't care anymore if I make them mad.
That's my attitude as well.

I don't welcome strange dogs or badly behaved dogs to my house. I don't care who owns them, it's just not fair to anyone living here (dogs and humans).

I don't go out of my way to push my dogs onto people who might invite me to their home, and I really resent it when others put me into that position.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Many of the dogs I board or 30-40% actually come inside with my dogs. But the rule is they must be dog AND cat friendly. They must NOT be dog aggressive. They do NOT have to be perfect, but must have some basic manners, etc.

The only time I let dogs come to my house that were not well behaved was when my sister drove out 2 states away and my dad was rushed to the hospital. I told her before she got to my house THE DOGS WOULD NOT INTERACT and I would not tolerate rude dog behavior either. It still didn't go over well and was stressful.

I also don't go out of my way to push my dogs on other people. We once drove up from CA to WA with FOUR dogs to see my inlaws and we rented a DOG FRIENDLY hotel. It was a pain but there's no way I'd expect someone to take in me AND FOUR DOGS.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It's going to be a nightmare for you and your dog. If they're not fully trained they might not act house trained in your house too. I wouldn't worry so much about the vaccines, if they're dogs don't have immunity they're the ones that will suffer, not yours, but based on the behavioural stuff alone I would simply say No. I hope you hubby stands the ground on this with you.

I would tell them straight up, your dogs are not well behaved and I don't want them influencing my dog, your house your rules. Suggest they find a friend or neighbour to take care of their dogs back home.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone. I really am leaning towards telling them "No." Even if they stay in the crate, they will bark constantly and essentially drive me crazy. I really don't want my holidays ruined because of two little yappy gremlins. I also know that it would likely stress Gunner out having them around, and like someone else said, this is his home. He has a right to be safe and comfortable here, and those dogs are not my problem. They bought them a few years ago from a BYB and didn't listen to anything I tried to tell them. Now they want to throw a pity party by saying they really want to visit but would have to bring their dogs. I welcome family anytime, but I'm probably going to have to get firm and tell them to either find a pet sitter, or stay at home :( I hate being in this situation, but I don't think I have much choice.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I could, but they yap NONSTOP when crated. And you know a little terrier yap...my ears would be ringing for days ;) My husband and I have tried ever since they got them (4 years ago) to help them with training or at least some manners, but my MIL refuses. She looks at them as her babies, and gets pissed at us if we try to stop a bad behavior. Last time I visited them, the male was jumping all over my toddler and knocking him down. I corrected him, and she got pissed at me and said he was just trying to say Hi. She humanizes them to the point that she can't see anything wrong with what they do. It's beyond frustrating, but not my problem I guess.
Oh, and I'm with you. I can't stand a yappy dog! Probably why I'm not a small dog person :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
That is out of line . But the child would Honestly be your best excuse to say no while being polite. Say that you don't want them to hurt him on accident or maybe say he plays to rough even though he doesn't just something of the sort.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
A least once/month (sometimes 2x), we have little Trevor and sometimes his 3-legged sister Molly.
- for a weekend sleepover, if my son is away on company business

I love them coming over.
- but let me tell you / Trevor did get some "tough-love" training from his Da-Da / in the beginning
- now he listens like an angle / first to me, and skills transfered over to my wife
When my wife takes them home, the little ones...have such a "sad face" on.
- they get treated like "royals" & spoiled "****-less"
Early on, I used their introduction as a CHALLENGE (for me), to train the little monsters.

Now I am sad, when the little ones leave...because we love them dearly & they NOW listen, to both of us.
- part of the reason, YOU learn how to train Gunner privately / these universal dog skills, is like riding a bike

The IN-LAWS dog, is an opportunity for you & Gunner....just have fun with it...go with the flow.
- embrace the visit & "learn much" / change the "comfort zone"...you can do it & enjoy
- my family or close friends, would be welcomed to sleep in our spare bed (I would not have it any other way).
- if they bring a dog, so much the better...but, a cat NO...lol...Amy can only tolerate so much

MARROW BONE TIME - Dad is now in babysit mode:

Later, after the marrow bones...were finished up:
- events are easy, if they are planned for...with open arms
- belly's full, time to rest with a good toy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's frustrating because I know that if I was allowed to work with them for a bit or at least treat them like a dog instead of a human baby, I could probably get them to be at least somewhat tolerable. BUT, their owners (mostly my mother in law) refuses to allow me to do anything with them. My father in law really doesn't like them and has said many times he would give them away in a heartbeat but he can't because of his wife. They drive him crazy too I think.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts