Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand frisbee-ing. Sometimes it's better when its windy, sometimes when its still. Sometimes it flies beautifully and gets buffered about, and other times it doesn't even get 5ft away before it hits the deck. The frisbee we have is a cheap plastic one, its a bit chewed around the edges so I don't know if that affects the flight at all?

Does anyone have any recommendations, is it worth sticking with this one, because when its good, its very good. But there are so many, ones with gaps in, rubber ones, square ones, what's the best?

And some pics of Diesel. I totally couldn't throw the frisbee with my left hand, and so by the time I got the camera up to my face I missed so many shots :( and one of these is out of focus but he looks so gorgeous and athletic in these two, I love seeing a dobe at full stretch!

Teeeeeth!

Dammit, missed!

I think this is my favourite, "wait for it to get almost to the floor, then POUNCE!!! RARRR!"

·
Super Moderator
23,670 Posts
He's a gorgeous boy. Sorry, no frisbee recommendations. My dogs won't play with them :(

Reactions: Sherryh

·
formerly eventermal
3,505 Posts
My guys both love the chuckit amphibious ring better than any other frisbee that have tried.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yea, that is an odd looking one lol. My wife has a hard time throwing any frisbee, I find them to be quite easy to throw, and have never had a preference. I get cheaper ones, because I'm yet to find one that lasts. The "indestructible" dog frisbees are chewed to crap pretty quickly. Every now and then my local walmart has frisbees in the 94 cent bin, and I'll grab a handful.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Maybe it doesn't fly true cuz of that bullky portion at the top that makes it look like a UFO. I dont know. lol

I remember, early on, Jack having problems picking up the frisbee (when he was alot younger) but ever since he's had no problem whatsoever and we just use your typical everyday type of frisbee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chuckit flying squirrel

Does anyone have any recommendations, is it worth sticking with this one, because when its good, its very good. But there are so many, ones with gaps in, rubber ones, square ones, what's the best?
These are the best I've found to date for playing fetch. Takes a pretty good beating but won't last long as a chew toy...what does? You can find them at most pet stores & Walmart.

Chuckit! Fetch Games

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
You do NOT want to use cheap frisbees. The plastic is harder and therefore harder on their teeth and mouth. If you go to the bottom right hand corner, there are some resources for discs.

Disc Dogs of the Golden Gate | Home

I use a lighter weight frisbee because I have physical limitations but they don't last as long as the other heavier weight ones. I use the standard lightweight competition disc.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My Malinois LOVES her flying squirrel! LOVES IT!!! It is easy for her to pick up, I can chuck that sucker a pretty good distance and it flies pretty nice, and if the dobermans grab a hold of it and a tug-of-war match starts, it wont die instantly.

The cheapie plastic ones wont last with the Mal, one good snap and her teeth put holes into the plastic. :(

The one that I have that, surprisingly, has lasted the longest and flies the farthest is this:

Amazon.com: AEROBIE PRO RING (Colors May Vary): Toys & Games

I have to prevent the dogs from tug-of-war with it and the few times the dobermans and malinois fight for it, it hasn't snapped yet. I have the larger one and the smaller one and have lost them multiple times over fences because they fly so far. It took me a bit to get used to how much force to use (not much!) so that it stayed within a good distance.

I have also looked at these online:
https://skyhoundz.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=1114
Haven't made a purchase, yet, but the pros use them. :)

·
just a member
3,000 Posts
Just adding my two cents.... and I can never resist a Frisbee thread.

We have been using the Softbite discs for the longest time. They last a good amount of time before breaking down. Its not a good chew toy, because it can get shredded pretty quick. We only bring them out when its a play session and the girls get excited every time. Pretty easy to throw and you still can good distances. It really depends on the thrower and can take some practice. The dogs really don't mind bad throws though.

Here's a very old video of one of my girls showing off a little. AirNikita

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kratty I enjoyed your video! Diesel would love a floppy one I think, that he could shake about.

Are the aerobie ones plastic or rubber? I'm looking at the orbee glow in the dark ones, would be better for winter nights I think.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,446 Posts
These are the best I've found to date for playing fetch. Takes a pretty good beating but won't last long as a chew toy...what does? You can find them at most pet stores & Walmart.

Chuckit! Fetch Games
Chuckie!! lol .. my girls have one of these, we first got one when we had Mysti and it was great! Both girls love it, they chase it, they grab it, they play tug with it because of course, not just one can catch it and run off happily with it! They are pretty durable nylon and fly well, and are easy to pick up because its arched and lands on the 4 corners sort of like feet.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
One of the great joys in life is a Frisbee dog!

Mensa absolutely loves Frisbees.

Mensa is retired from Frisbee catching, ever since her spinal surgery, but the only Frisbees she liked were the official size and weight Fastbacks.

These guys:

Frisbee by Wham-O, Fastback Cosmetic Misprints from Discovering the World

have the best deals I've found for the Frisbee Fastbacks - $1.60/each.

They're cheap because they're mis=printed. Notice the two different ads printed on top of each other on Mensa's Frisbee:

The Nylabone Frisbees last longer because they're heavier. Mensa won't play with one, once she finds out what it is, because it's too heavy.

Don't let your pup have unsupervised access to his Frisbees, and they won't have to be built like chew-toys. Mensa will chew a frisbee to shreds in about five minutes, if I let her, Nylabone or not.

These guys:

Canine Frisbee Dog Discs Fastback Eurablend Flex

sell a bunch of different dog-discs.

I don't know what delivery to the U.K. would cost you, though.

For throwing, I have my best luck when I'm throwing directly into the wind. You may have better results throwing directly down wind. Try it, and find out. For me, any side-wind serves to amplify whatever throwing mistake I make. Knowing which way the wind is blowing makes a big difference for me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
See, I said there are so many varieties, I think I'm even more confused now :D Thanks for all the suggestions though, I will see which ones are available in the UK.

Chaz, Diesel chewed the frisbee on the first day, since then he ONLY has it when we are playing, then it gets put away, as I can see him easily chewing chunks off it if left. Like you say, they aren't designed to be chew toys. I seem to have the best luck throwing down wind, but alot of the time the wind seems to come from all different directions and just makes it drop out of the sky. The best time seems to be when its quite still with just a gentle breeze, but this is England, it's either raining or blowing a gale!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Kong!

Levi has a big game we play with flyers. We keep a stack of them. He'll stalk up to the porch and act all disinterested, but he's wound right up.. We make a big show of chasing him off the porch and throwing it across the yard. Sounds dumb, but he gets all kinds of excited. Good for a nice long nap, for him too.:)

The black Kong flyers are very soft and flexible, and take the sunlight better. But they are difficult to throw (too floppy to fly well.)

The red Kong flyers fly really well, and are pliable enough that Levi can catch them at point plank range without hurting him. The sun eats them though, so you have to get new ones every year if you leave them in the yard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.