Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the inspiration from the Greek mythology thread and just wanted your stories on how you named your dobes? Do you wish you could change it now or are you happy with it? If you have a SO, did you both agree or was there much "discussion"? Just thought it would be fun to hear some stories!

Here's mine!

We got Brandy when she was 5 months old. She was the cutest little pup in the world with her ears all taped up. We had no names picked out ahead of time and just wanted to see if something struck us when we saw her. The only thing we knew we wanted was to have her name start with a "B". All the dogs around us at the time had names that started with B (Blaze, Bear, Bison, B.G., short for Baby Girl) and we wanted to keep the theme. We tried so hard to come up with something cute that started with B and fit her. I eventually decided to go away from the whole B thing and wanted to name her Lucy. DH was not a fan however, so the great name debate continued. I don't even remember what some of his suggestions were now, that was 6 years ago, but I knew I didn't like them! Haha! I thought about Whiskey, but decided that seemed like a boy's name. Once I got to thinking about booze though, Brandy just popped in my head! DH liked it and Brandy seemed to like it and the rest is history!

We always said that if we got a boy, his name would be Lambeau Leap and we'd call him Beau for short. I think I'm over the whole B thing now though. lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well I had wanted a dobie from the time I was a freshman in high school. I always liked the name Savannah for a female, but I have always been big into cars and drag racing. I thought Chevy was cute for a female and it is a car theme!!! I love her name and of course all my car buddies do too, lol.

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
Dobe mix Gin was not named after the booze, believe it or not. Her original name was Ginger, but her owner's youngest kid (same one who took her eye out) couldn't say Ginger correctly, and so they called her Gin-Gin. After I got her, I shortened it to Gin.

Rattie Lucky is literally lucky. He was fished out of a storm sewer seconds before an inch of rain fell.

For mutt Ilka (ILKA), I originally called her Blaze. After we decided to keep her, I knew I wanted a different name. I went through some name books, made a list of names I liked, and tried them out. I was leaning towards Hilde, but somehow, Ilka (a Hungarian version of Helen) seemed a better fit.

GSD Leontine, well, I'm not sure where the name came from. Idid have a great-aunt named Leontine, but I never knew her. I just opened my mouth, and Leontine came out.

I've always been of the opinion that eventually you will open your mouth, and the right name will come out. :)

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner was already registered when I bought him...his regd name is "Red Baron's Argus Filch" Apparently it's a Harry Potter reference I think? No idea since I've never read the books. His call name was "Argus" but no matter how much I tried, I just couldn't keep it. I tried shortening it to "Gus" and it just seemed to be a bad fit for him. I let my husband and oldest son name him and they suggested Gunner. I looked it up and it means "battle". His sire is "Red Baron's Warrior" so I figured the name Gunner was a good fit :)

ETA: I'll be honest...he is called Gun or Ghunny Wunny most of the time :D He would kill me for telling you that ;)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I got Odin at ten weeks and he didn't have a name for a few days, I considered Kronos or Kratos but those two names didn't seem to fit so we kept thinking. One day we were talking and our friends cat came up and his cat's name was Garfield and we remembered the dogs name was Odie. From Odie came Odin, the Norse God. We all thought about it and it fit him so Odin it was, the breeder liked it so him registered name is "My way or the highway" Odin :) the litter theme was something with "my" in it because it was Odin mom's name and it was her last litter.

·
Got mutt?
13,821 Posts
Just wanted to add, a registered/listed name can be a bit more tricky. Ilka's official name is Ilka Of Pear Orchard Cemetery, after where she was found. Lucky is listed as Lucky Rat Dog, which is what I've called him since he was a baby. If I wind up keeping Leontine, she will probably be listed as Speed Queen Leontine. I'd like to get Highland Washateria in there somewhere, but can't figure out how, exactly. :)

ETA: Olivia, yes, Argus Filtch is a Harry Potter character. He was the caretaker of Hogwarts castle.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Both of my kids are rescues.
Malia is my sweet, gentle, bowlegged, too tall, genetic defect dobie. And I say that lovingly. She is not overly affectionate, but she is the sweetest baby girl in the world... Anyway, she came to me named Diamond. To me it just didn't fit, or maybe I just didn't like it.... After a few days, she became Malia, Hawian for Calm and Peaceful, it fit her to a T. Was it fair for me to change her name, maybe not. She didn't seem to mind, she picked up on it instantly. Would I change it to something else, if it were not this far along into it, yes. When I got her, I had no knowledge of whom she shares a name with. We will leave it at that.

Magnum "official" name is Samman's Magnum. I had thought of changing his, as I assumed Magnum was a reference to Magnum PI. I decided to adopt his name and I just prefer to think of Magnum in not Tom Selleck (sp?) tems. He responds very well to Magnum, or GoofTard, or Magnanamoose.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Great Thread. My first Dobe was a SPCA foundling, she was half starved and left at their door. They did not think she was going to make it, so I gave it a try. She was a superior Dobe, lived to be 13 and was the love of our life. My son was reading a book about John Lennon at the time, it said something about "the rosebud of his life", then he watched a show about the doberman gang and their kill word was "Rosebud" so he wanted to call her that, sounded good to us.
When she passed we wanted to honor her and bring her forward with the next Dobe. So number 2 was "Rose Blossom" from a bud to a blossom. Number 3 was originally called "Temper" but once again we brought the Roses forward and renamed her "BonnyRose". These girls all lived long lives, were healthy and brought us joy everyday. We are now waiting to find our forth Dobie Girl and her name will be "RubiRose" for the precious gem that she will be and in honor of her previous sisters.

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great stories! I love hearing the nicknames too. We have some pretty good ones for Brandy. We'll call her Moo La Rue..because she used to eat like a cow and she's red. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Torque came from I wanted a unique and "powerful" name. I also drive a big truck. I wanted something along those lines. I had the named picked out before I had the dog. And it just fit. His nick names fit him better. Torque the Dorque, Porque, (anything that ends in the "ork" sound but you have to spell it "orque" to match his name), and PupPup.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I love these stories.

I had a long list of names for Dreizehn (at least 15 different names to consider). The name he has now, Dreizehn, was at the top of my list. Long story short, I read a story when I was younger about a doberman that saved his girl and the doberman's name was Dreizehn. I wanted something that was strong sounding but, since I worked with dogs and met hundreds of dogs each month I also wanted a name that was not common. The name just seemed to fit and, while it would have been nice to have a name that was easier for people to pronounce, I love it.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Military theme: Ammo & Cadence :)
Clyde was on death row in the pound and his name was Galileo.... Way too long(4 syllables!) and he didn't respond to it. When he went to get into my truck after leaving the pound , he jumped in the front seat and acted like he was THE MAN, so I responded "lets ride Clyde" :) and it stuck.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I love these stories.

I had a long list of names for Dreizehn (at least 15 different names to consider). The name he has now, Dreizehn, was at the top of my list. Long story short, I read a story when I was younger about a doberman that saved his girl and the doberman's name was Dreizehn. I wanted something that was strong sounding but, since I worked with dogs and met hundreds of dogs each month I also wanted a name that was not common. The name just seemed to fit and, while it would have been nice to have a name that was easier for people to pronounce, I love it.
How exactly do you pronounce it?

·
Mind over matter
23 Posts
Well I had wanted a dobie from the time I was a freshman in high school. I always liked the name Savannah for a female, but I have always been big into cars and drag racing. I thought Chevy was cute for a female and it is a car theme!!! I love her name and of course all my car buddies do too, lol.
Well explained. Being I'm a ford guy it would be kind of hard to get away with naming my boy "Lightning" lol but will be riding with me in it as soon as he stops trying to take over the front seat and always trying to get where i'm at.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Our first dobe was brought home by my son one weekend. He was so handsome, strong, gentle and very loving. We thought for hours and came up with name Rush. Rush came by way of MMA fighter Georges "Rush" St Pierre. he is strong, gentle and very respectful. George was too plain and Pierre, enough said.

Rush has lived up to his name in our eyes. After having him home for a day sometime seemed a bit off with him and he was rushed to vet. We received the worst news that he had Parvo. After talking with vet hearing the horrible news about many pups dying from virus we were besides ourselves because we loved him so dearly. One look into his eyes he gave us the look that he was going to fight to get healthy. After a 5 day stay at vet he returned home healthy. He is our fighte!!!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I'm a nerd and I don't like generic, typical dog names.

Dobe is Optimus Prime after the transformer character. I already had it picked out before I met him. It definitely fits because prime is a tough but good guy with a good heart, just like the character.

Husky is Zelda after the video game

German Shepherd is Rogue after the x-men character. I mainly named her that because she is solid black with a white spot on her chest, it reminded me of the character Rogue's hair, lol

Their nicknames are:

Primus
Primers
Primeez
Primeezy
Primeuhcleez
Prime time
Prime rib
Optimus primus
Baby boy
Mexican

Zeldy
Zeldeezy
Zelda pita
Pita pockets
Zeldoritos
Weldy
Princess zeldy
The white buffalo

Rogueeez
Rogurt
Roguarita
Ninja dog

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Their nicknames are:

Primus
Primers
Primeez
Primeezy
Primeuhcleez
Prime time
Prime rib
Optimus primus
Baby boy
Mexican

Zeldy
Zeldeezy
Zelda pita
Pita pockets
Zeldoritos
Weldy
Princess zeldy
The white buffalo

Rogueeez
Rogurt
Roguarita
Ninja dog

All of these make sense to me except "Mexican."

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I had a roommate who had a red Dobe and one day his dog was being a goof and acting up and my RM said "calm down you little Mexican" (in a very divalivious voice as my RM is very gay) I couldn't stop laughing, it was so random. I assumed it was because of the coat color so sometimes when prime acts up I'll call him Mexican.

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Nox came from Harry Potter meaning Night or light extinguishing spell. The opposite of Nox was Lumos and since Nox is black .. I thought that would be fitting. Plus his farts could knock out all the lights. haha
His nicknames are Stinky Butt, Nutters, Black Arse, Nut nut, etc. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts