Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Last Thursday night, Maggie had pretty bad diarrhea (on the living room carpet :sadcry: ), but otherwise she acted fine. No mucous/blood, etc. I first attributed it to a one of those big bones you can get at Petco that still has a bit of dried meat on it (always wondered about that too).

Friday morning, she would not touch her dry kibble (Pro Plan Lg Breed, which she has been on since weening and never had any problems). She would eat treats, but was very finicky about her dry food. So I gave her 1/2 immodium pill and watched her for the next couple days.

Saturday- still loose stools. I boiled some rice and mixed in some egg just to get her to eat. She ate it, although not with the veracious appetite she usually would have.

Sunday, I took her to her vet. No temp. Fecal showed no critters minus a hook that was probably killed by her Heartguard. The vet puts her on Flagyl and Panacure and we go home with a couple cans of Hill's I/D. She ate the 2 cans mixed with a bit of her puppy food over the last 24 hours, but seriously picked around the kibble.

OK. Last night, she still had diarrhea. She has not lost weight or acted sick at all.

Could she be becoming finicky and holding out for better stuff? Does she "realize" the puppy food may be too rich? Could I have gotten a bad bag of food (just opened it last week)?

The vet didn't seemed worried......but I am!!! :help_up_2

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww....I don't know why diarhea in pups can happen...so im afraid i cant help you...but when duchess was a puppy she got real bad diarhea once or twice and we were told just to do what you did with the rice...and she got better eventually. :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
no i dont think she acted sick...she just had some random bad poops...she didnt have a problem with wanting to eat...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Was it one of those knuckle bones? Those always gave Cole the runs. I remembered the last time I gave him one why I don't buy them more often for him.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
les strat said:
Hello all. Last Thursday night, Maggie had pretty bad diarrhea (on the living room carpet :sadcry: ), but otherwise she acted fine. No mucous/blood, etc. I first attributed it to a one of those big bones you can get at Petco that still has a bit of dried meat on it (always wondered about that too).

Friday morning, she would not touch her dry kibble (Pro Plan Lg Breed, which she has been on since weening and never had any problems). She would eat treats, but was very finicky about her dry food. So I gave her 1/2 immodium pill and watched her for the next couple days.

Saturday- still loose stools. I boiled some rice and mixed in some egg just to get her to eat. She ate it, although not with the veracious appetite she usually would have.

Sunday, I took her to her vet. No temp. Fecal showed no critters minus a hook that was probably killed by her Heartguard. The vet puts her on Flagyl and Panacure and we go home with a couple cans of Hill's I/D. She ate the 2 cans mixed with a bit of her puppy food over the last 24 hours, but seriously picked around the kibble.

OK. Last night, she still had diarrhea. She has not lost weight or acted sick at all.

Could she be becoming finicky and holding out for better stuff? Does she "realize" the puppy food may be too rich? Could I have gotten a bad bag of food (just opened it last week)?

The vet didn't seemed worried......but I am!!! :help_up_2
Sometimes when they have the runs it helps to clean them out if you fast them for a day. Now she is a puppy so I'd be hesitent to fast her for 24 hours, but maybe 12.

When on of mine get the runs, I fast for 24 hours then feed just rice for 2 meals and then rice with some browned ground beef for a couple of meals and then introduce kibble back in slowly mixed with rice.

I do find that bones and yummy snacks can sometimes cause the runs. These darn dogs will eat anything but they actually can have pretty sensitive stomachs.

Some people also use plain canned pumpkin - a spoonful mixed with the food is supposed to help the runs also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, one of those big basted ones. Had to be bacteria on it or something since it's been 5 days now.
The only way she'll eat her kibble is if I hand feed it for a treat on our walks. She usually consumes 2 cups in less than 20 seconds, so something has mae her turn against it.
Are tainted bags of commercial dog food common?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
velmadobe said:
Sometimes when they have the runs it helps to clean them out if you fast them for a day. Now she is a puppy so I'd be hesitent to fast her for 24 hours, but maybe 12.

When on of mine get the runs, I fast for 24 hours then feed just rice for 2 meals and then rice with some browned ground beef for a couple of meals and then introduce kibble back in slowly mixed with rice.

I do find that bones and yummy snacks can sometimes cause the runs. These darn dogs will eat anything but they actually can have pretty sensitive stomachs.

Some people also use plain canned pumpkin - a spoonful mixed with the food is supposed to help the runs also.
Thanks. Yeah, I was worried with a pup!

We seem to be on the upswing with her, thank God. Her appetite picked up this evening and she had a pretty firm stool too. I am also going to get a tablespoon of cottage cheese in her tonight to get some probiotics in her gut.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Hi there, how is Maggie doing? Hope she is better.

That is strange about the bone, if that was indeed the culprit. My dogs love them and get them weekly, they chew on them every day. The natural GI beef bones from Merrick are like a three in one treat, the beef bone, beef jerky on the outside, and the marrow inside (some dogs can't tolerate too much marrow - but it hasn't been an issue with any I know personally).

The natural bones are the only safe chewy my sensitive stomach male can tolerate. Everything else is bad news except for bully sticks in very small amounts. Even the Chihuahuas in our family eat these bones without issues.

But with puppies, you can never really be for sure they didn't get into something, all it takes is a spilt second, even which you watch them very very close. My male had a upset tummy often b/c of his delicate system, but my other never has diarrhea or any upsets. Her system is rock solid no matter what she eats. In fact with my male it was a food issue, once I got him on the "right" food and treats for him, things got better. He was never on puppy food, I don't feed puppy or kitten food ever to any of my animals.

I would suggest the same thing as the others, feed her less while her tummy is upset and add some 100% pure canned pumpkin to her meals (found in a can - no spices). All it takes is about less than a TBS with each meal. In an older dog I would fast for a little bit until things got back to normal, but she is awfully young for a fast IMO.

Hope she is doing better, any new pictures?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
les strat said:
I am also going to get a tablespoon of cottage cheese in her tonight to get some probiotics in her gut.
Probiotics are a really good thing for most dog’s tummies. Yogurt contains some, but you can actually get human acidophilus pills in the freezer section of the health food store that work really good.

Cottage cheese is also good to give most puppies.

I rotate various things with my dogs in small amounts with each feeding, 100% natural yogurt is a daily favorite but I also use cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, meats, high quality canned dog food, peanut butter, fruits, veggies, and various supplements. One of mine can't have fish oil or ev oil olive, but the others can. But every animal is different and different things work best for different dogs.

My male's breeder makes a thing called doggie soup for her dogs to put over their food, made from various veggies from her garden and meats. They love this.
Ask the breeder what various things she feeds to her Dobes. A wonderful thing about the place where you got your cute puppy is that you can contact the breeder anytime and get support for any problems or issues that might arise - minor and major. That is one of the many wonderful things when you go with a reputable breeder, the lifetime support for your Dobe :)

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
Probiotics are a really good thing for most dog’s tummies. Yogurt contains some, but you can actually get human acidophilus pills in the freezer section of the health food store that work really good.

Cottage cheese is also good to give most puppies.

I rotate various things with my dogs in small amounts with each feeding, 100% natural yogurt is a daily favorite but I also use cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, meats, high quality canned dog food, peanut butter, fruits, veggies, and various supplements. One of mine can't have fish oil or ev oil olive, but the others can. But every animal is different and different things work best for different dogs.

My male's breeder makes a thing called doggie soup for her dogs to put over their food, made from various veggies from her garden and meats. They love this.
Ask the breeder what various things she feeds to her Dobes. A wonderful thing about the place where you got your cute puppy is that you can contact the breeder anytime and get support for any problems or issues that might arise - minor and major. That is one of the many wonderful things when you go with a reputable breeder, the lifetime support for your Dobe :)
Amen to that! A good breeder is worth their weight in gold for the lifetime of things that they will help you with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts