Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunner is 16 weeks old now. We live about a mile from a gorgeous dog friendly park. There are miles of walking trails that I love to exercise on. I've been just taking Gunner around the lake since it's a short distance, but this morning I tried going the whole loop....I believe it's .5 a mile. Towards the end, Gunner was acting really tired and really lagged behind. Is that too much for a growing puppy? I want him to get plenty of exercise, but I also don't want to stress his growing body too much. What do you think is a safe distance to walk him daily? The trails are concrete, but there is grass on both sides that I mainly kept him on. TIA!

Edited to add: If it matters, he is NOT a very high energy guy. He's actually pretty lazy lol. He'll play hard for awhile, but overall he's not overly active or hyper. There isn't a ton of extra energy to burn off so I don't know if that should play in to how far I walk him.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I walk Juno to & from my mailbox (approx .5 mile). We also play fetch & go on trails in my back yard (I live on 10.5 acres) - I don't think that is too far. :) he's just being lazy.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I walk Odin (12) weeks about a mile and then some from running around at an open field he takes a big nap then plays around with his toys.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
42 Posts
funny you asked this. I have a 12 week old puppy that I took out yesterday. We didnt go far, maybe a half mile at most, and he gave up too. Ended up having to carry him home! Wasnt sure if I overworked him, or he was being lazy. Thanks for your question and looking forward to more insight.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would, especially at this age, tend to err on the side of caution. If he seems tired, I'd start out with lower distances and then slowly add on distance if he still seems excited. I agree with listening to his body language and cues.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!! It's just weird going from a Malinois to Gunner. The mal would go FOREVER. I'm glad Gunner isn't that hyper, but I guess we will just take it slow. I don't want to hurt him of course and I would rather be cautious. He's big and growing so fast...the last thing I want to do is mess something up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts