Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a subject that has always interested me and I've had to ask myself this question too....if the opportunity came by....would you get a "natural dobie" meaning uncropped ears and undocked tail and would you make changes after you got them?

In rescue come across a "natural Dobies" and I find that a lot of people don't want them because they don't fit the stereotype of the Doberman, I think a lot of the general public see "natural" dobies as less of a Dobie, what do you guys think of "natural" dobies?

As for me I would leave them "natural" infact one day I dream to have a bunch of "natural" Dobies.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I cropped and docked my little guy. I got him @ 7 weeks. If I were to get a rescue. I would take them natural as well. A Dobe is a Dobe to me ;) I would never not accept one because it was all natural :) That's just mean.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that "natural " dobes tend to look like athletic Labs....
I prefer the uncropped & undocked, Luke is cropped & Docked and I some times wonder what it would be like if he had a tail....as big as he is there would be nothing left standing in the house.:help_up_2

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Personally even though my dog is cropped and docked (she was when I got her) I've changed my views on it. I prefer a natural uncropped dobie. I will probably never have a pup again, but if I did, I would prefer it left uncropped. As for the tail, hmmm, I can live without that! But I feel that it is less cruel in my opinion to dock at a few days old then cropping the ears.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
We do not have a choice here we cannot show cropped ears,we have docking at the moment but not for much longer as that is to be banned as well.As LMB said a dobe is a dobe cropped, docked,or not it will not change their character.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:cool2: What part of England are you from?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi was docked when I got her, and I struggled with the decision on whether or not to crop. I'm glad I decided against it. It breaks my heart that people looking for rescues will look over natural dogs. I read on another board recently that this guy wouldn't have a natural dobe, in fact, he said his vet told him that people who wanted a natural dobe might as well get a coonhound. What a load! Of course we all like the look of the dobe but a dobe is a dobe on the inside first.
We're hoping to go back to Germany in a couple years when we leave here, I'll get my chance to meet plenty of all natural Dobies there where cropping and docking have been banned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the UK and I don't mind if docking gets stopped, I've had 2 Dobe X's with tails but I must admit I prefere docked. Ear cropping has never been a choice here and I'm not use to it, until joining here and seeing all your lovely photo's.

Jazzy's ears have a mind of their own and sometimes one will fold back for a few weeks. I love her great big triangle ears and I get a bit obsessed with trying to keep them BOTH forward at the same time:tongue23:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Im with you TD, i also prefer them cropped and docked.. but if they had to come natural.. i wouldnt turn my back, look at my pit/boxer for example hes all natural.. and the tail can be a killer sometimes heh, i can just imagine a dobe with a natural tail! :help_up_2

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I have to admit, before I joined this forum, I didn't really like the idea of a "natural dobe" I guess because I never really saw many that way. When I think "doberman" I think...erect ears, docked tail.

But now that I have seen so many natural dobies...I am really starting to LIKE the look! I don't know if I would crop again or not....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
wezsmummy said:
My Wez is all natural, even though he looks so dumb at times lol
HOw can you say that!!!!! I demand that you relinquish that little cutie pie to me immeidiately!!!!!!! lol

every time he looked at me with that sweet little ear, I would just melt and scoop him up, so I'll just take Wez till he gets to about 30 lbs and then I'll send him back. K?:3dbiggrin

cc

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I prefer cropped and docked, but there is no other breed for me. new pups, I would crop and dock. all my future rescues will stay just they way they are

cc

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I personally prefer to come home to a long, happy, wagging tail and those big floppy ears. If I had a choice over here, I'd definitley keep both the tail and the ears natural as I prefer the appearance. I'm NOT against cropping & docking though at all, it's just not my preference. I do worry about leaving tails though...as they can break and cause a lot of pain but I don't think it's too common.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Cropped and docked. I love that classic Dobe look of Eagles.

Not against adopting a floppy eared rescue though, but I really don’t like the tails mainly due to stuff getting knocked around and man do those tails hurt when wagging furiously! I definitely prefer natural ears to a bad ear-cropping job on a dog. Also, if an older puppy or adult came into rescue with floppy ears they would stay just as they are. Younger puppies I would crop as it increases their chances of being adopted later.

This is a very controversial issue. I have found that ear cropping by vets with the latest technology causes little pain with an experienced cropper and proper aftercare. It is just like a surgery. They are put under and have good care and pain meds. Spaying a dog is also a surgery that in my opinion is more evasive than cropping. I know with my male with an undescended testicle it was a very invasive surgery but they used a laser and he had pain meds available too, he bounced back in no time. But cropping is done for purely cosmetic reasons unlike the spay/neuter. But I don’t think cropping, docking, spaying, or neutering is cruel at all.

Dobes puppies in a litter that is cropped still play and rough house all the same, even shortly after they are cropped. They are not in constant pain and they are up and around to cause more mischief just like normal puppies. It doesn’t seem to bother them too much at least in the litters that I have seen and the Dobes in my life that went to an experienced vet and had proper aftercare.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Kinteet said:
:cool2: What part of England are you from?
I live in central England in a suburb of Birmingham.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah i agree, a dobe is a dobe....but everyone has their own choice which they may like better. Hubby and I do like the Cropped/Docked as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My first dobe was all natural, what a beauty, although I must say when that tail starts swinging you'd better watch out. But I wouldn't have changed it, When she was happy I swear a few times we were going to have lift off. The tail would spin faster and faster in circles it was so fun to get her going. The new puppy I am getting has already been docked and she wil be cropped before I bring her home. We discussed it and they show much better here (Canada) when they are cropped. But I would certainly have another natural one day.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts