Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, My new doby, Titan, about a year, active, jumping, a complete hunk 'o' Dobe. Is a few word to describe him. I'd like to start him on a sport. I was thinking agility or something similiar where he would be running and releasing energy. He's a great jumper. He can jump 3'+ and clear it no problem. He is also very quick and agile (LIKE A DOBE) and is perfect off leash. What would be a good sport for him. He has been cleared by a vet for jumping and other stuff so no hate please. We don't work the poo out of him, he's given plenty of time to just play, be a puppy and is never EVER forced to do jumping. He enjoys it and will do the jump just to do them. With that said that's one of his main qualities. He's also very responsive without treats, He learns quick. :thanx::thanx:

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Well, if you are in the US, you pretty much have a half dozen or so things you could try, in a dozen or so organizations (depending on where you are). The ones I can think of off hand are obedience and/or rally, tracking, nose work, agility, and barn hunt.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
The question is what would be a good sport for you two to do together? Dobes are very versatile and can pretty much master anything they are taught, especially if they have a good drive, like it sounds like your boy might. Agility is an absolute blast but it is a physical sport for both human and canine. It is also A LOT harder than it looks so you as the handler have to be up to the challenge too. Obedience, in my opinion, is a lot more fun than it looks and mentally challenges a breed that lives to think. There is also jumping and retrieving involved so it can be physical. Tracking is fun and gets you and your dog outside working. I haven't tried Barn Hunt but me and my boy are going to our first practice in a couple weeks. Do some research, find a dog club near you and join. No matter what you choose you will need a club or at least a trainer to help you. See what both you and your dog will enjoy. Let me tell you though, there is nothing like working beside your dog and being a team with them. No matter what you choose stay positive and remember it is all about having fun!

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Dock diving is so munch fun, but toy drive is crucial to the sport. If he has toy drive, could be fun! Find something you both love. They will feed off of your energy and passion for whatever sport you choose!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd also ask what do YOU enjoy doing? Agility is my passion but we also dabble in rally, obedience, hunting (for my other breed) and we did some disc dog too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts