Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a nice leather collar with round silver circles for Alex that was at least 7 years old. When I got a new collar for Suzy I got him one too. Like a dum dum I threw the old one away. I could just kick myself because the new collar has almost been torn to bits by Suzy and when we go for a walk the prong collar digs into the new collar and destroys it even more so I remove it when we walk. It is a nylon/cloth quick release type and I looked for pretty instead of functional. Sigh.......
Now I can't find a leather collar that is over 16" long and less than 1 inch wide. I find the 1 inchers to be too thick for the dogs.

Also, the prong fell off Suzy while we were walking the other night, nearly got me in a panic. TG we were one house away from home and it was late at night and no one/cars etc around. Like the smart Doberman she is, she grabbed Alex's leash and ran him all the way to the door. Good girl. Now I am scared to use the prong again. They say you should also attach to a collar but when I do this they shake the prong down and it becomes tangled in the other collar. I have removed the prongs so it is midway on the neck but no matter they still shake it down.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think Gracie's collar is a 1 inch collar. I could be wrong though. Her prong collar has never fallen off. Knock on wood!!! I am looking at getting Grace a leather collar for Christmas, I really hope I can find something that I like that "fits" her. Not the size just the style. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you know they make a leather prong? I found one here http://www.dogsafieldonline.com and the product number is R057-008

I was considering buying one and trying it out but I have 3 of the HS stainless ones now and hubby might think it overkill, LOL. I also found this link to using a prong and the slip that attaches to it in case the prong falls off http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html So this is my next step but I still need to search for a regular collar when not walking.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ava wears a hemp/fleese buckle collar that's about 3/4 inch wide and 18inches(I think) long. She has a very thin coat, esp. around her neck area and other collars I've tried had worn away the fur in that area. Her fur has actually started to grow back now since she's been wearing this new collar.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
For walking, the Dobes wear a 1" martingale (Keeva- 14" long, Winston- 22" long), around the house the wear various collars at various sizes (lol...they don't wear them at the same time of course...). Most are 1" though with the occasional 3/4".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts