Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My puppy's ears are standing upright after posting for four times but one ear falls towards front a little and iam thinking of posting my dog myself from this time so i was thinking what type of posting will be best and also his one ear is stiffer and stands straight but the other one leans a bit forward

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Pictures? Just offhand I'd say that you need to keep posting--cartilage hardens in ears and not always as quickly in both ears. So one ear not standing as well as the other isn't unusual. You don't say exactly how you are posting them and you can probably keep doing whatever it is you have been doing.

Keep posting--I'm sure some other ear helpers will reply and give you some suggestions.

dobebug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures? Just offhand I'd say that you need to keep posting--cartilage hardens in ears and not always as quickly in both ears. So one ear not standing as well as the other isn't unusual. You don't say exactly how you are posting them and you can probably keep doing whatever it is you have been doing.

Keep posting--I'm sure some other ear helpers will reply and give you some suggestions.

dobebug
This is how the breeder used to post this is the picture from first posting by
Dog Tree Plant Working animal Liver

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If you have only posted 4 times (let´s assume an average of 4 days per post) that is only 16 days, so you need to keep posting. How old is the puppy? What kind of method was used?
If you check this sub-forum, you will see 2 threads pinned - one is for the Zip Tie method and the other is the Backer Rod method. I am NOT the expert @dobebug is, but I would say use whichever you can consistently do and do properly. For what it is worth, I my boy was in posts from 10 weeks old to 10 months old.

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
Hi Manish

Yeah, I remember you and your pup. I went back and looked at your earlier threads and it appears that you got your pup cropped 7 weeks ago when he was 11 weeks old. That means that he would be just over 4 months old. If I am correct, you are probably going to need to post for a few more months. At least through teething and often well beyond, depending on the crop.

A quick look at the comments to your discussions leads me to believe that you were never given the link to a visual tutorial by member greenkouki, using them method, most often recommended here on DT.

OK... I see that MMcCown just gave you that link: How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod

I recommend that you study it and come back with any questions or concerns and then begin to post yourself. There are many positive reasons to do the posting yourself, including the fact that nobody will have greater incentive to to do a good job. and end up with nice ears as you will.

Please keep updating.

BTW.. In keeping with MM's comment... The 20 month old hellion, finally sleeping at my feet right now, started in posts at about 11 1/2 weeks. and was posted through his 8th month and then had the tips supported with mole foam for several weeks beyond that.

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have only posted 4 times (let´s assume an average of 4 days per post) that is only 16 days, so you need to keep posting. How old is the puppy? What kind of method was used?
If you check this sub-forum, you will see 2 threads pinned - one is for the Zip Tie method and the other is the Backer Rod method. I am NOT the expert @dobebug is, but I would say use whichever you can consistently do and do properly. For what it is worth, I my boy was in posts from 10 weeks old to 10 months old.
He is 4½ month old and I've been posting him every 7 days.I was taking him to the breeder for posting,he was using backer rod for support and this is the first time I'm doing it so any suggestions would be better

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,560 Posts
Take a look at the tutorial linked above (and below)--it gives very good step by step directions, with pictures for every step.

Copy that as closely as you can and come back here with pictures of your attempts (you'll feel all thumbs at first) and we can give you tips on whether you need to change anything.

From the looks of it, this method is basically the one your breeder has been using.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If your breeder is experienced and their dogs have nice ears, LISTEN TO YOUR BREEDER. This is a lot better than seeking help from strangers on an internet forum. If your breeder's dogs ears are questionable, then it may be OK to seek help elsewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your breeder is experienced and their dogs have nice ears, LISTEN TO YOUR BREEDER. This is a lot better than seeking help from strangers on an internet forum. If your breeder's dogs ears are questionable, then it may be OK to seek help elsewhere.
No the problem here is i have to drive for atleast a hour each trip so i thought it would be best if i post him myself

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,560 Posts
It really is better if you learn to post ears yourself anyway. If you see a problem, you can fix it right away instead of waiting while you try to find a time when both you and the breeder (or vet, if you going there for posting) are free to repost.

But your breeder should be able to give you some tips about how to post too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a look at the tutorial linked above (and below)--it gives very good step by step directions, with pictures for every step.

Copy that as closely as you can and come back here with pictures of your attempts (you'll feel all thumbs at first) and we can give you tips on whether you need to change anything.

From the looks of it, this method is basically the one your breeder has been using.
View attachment 151445
View attachment 151446

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
8,589 Posts
Hi Manish. Thanks for the photos.
Looks pretty good. My only suggestion would be a minor correction on your part, but could help the ears stand properly in both the short and long run:

Your use of the bridge is fine, although many folks tent to forgo it. However, your placement of the ears is a bit off from ideal. The bridge is holding the totally upright. In fact, in the second photo, they even appear to be angling in a bit.

You want to position the ears so they angle out slightly, like a "V". If you think of the ears like hands on a clock, they would be somewhere around the 10 o'clock-2 o'clock position or the 11 o'clock-1 o'clock position. Or any where in between.

While I am commenting... A coupe of other things:

-You should also get used to making sure the entire tip is supported. You can (carefully) trim the posts about a 1/4 inch above the tips
-Finally, just make sure the tape is not too tight. The technique is easy, but a bit hard to explain. Basically, starting at the base, you lay the tape on and sort of squeeze it in place, form fitting to the ears. The word often used here is "scrunch". Then do the middle. then the tip. As you get used to posting, you will find that you may find that you are able to get away with less tape. Greenkouki's tutorial shows that with proper technique, you really only need 3 strips of tape to do the job.

Keep updating!

John L
Portland OR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts