Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how you go into one of these places and someone's dog is pulling to say hello to you and wagging his/her tail, so you greet the dog because its nose is practically up your *ss. You say, "hello" to the dog, pat his head and mention "how cute." The owner won't make eye contact with you and you get the feeling you have done something wrong, so you turn and walk away feeling like you shouldn't have done that...

Do you welcome strangers and brief dog conversations? Or do you prefer the opposite? I would never approach a dog that wasn't trying so hard to greet me, but wonder what is the proper pet store etiquette! :haha:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I am more than welcome fr people to come up and meet Dreizehn and talk to me. Dreizehn is well behaved and, generally, doesn't pull to get to people. Ruthie is more like that (trying really hard to meet everybody) but she's still rather well behaved. More people are willing to meet Ruthie than Dreizehn =P

When it comes to me meeting other animals I always ask if it's okay. It's a pet store and people bring pets there so it's only logical that it should be okay for people to meet the general population of pets that are brought in.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Duke likes to dolphin nose drive when people get close enough. Or startle them when his cold wet nose touches their leg. I use every opportunity possible for people to pet Duke at the store.

If I'm by myself and there is a yappy dog, I ignore them. But if they sneak up on me and they are right there looking up into my eyes, I'll say hi and talk to them. Rarely to I pet someone else's animal because my skin is sensitive and rash up easily.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have taught Odin not to approach people for the most part unless invited, the same goes for dogs. I can be in an open field and another dog will arrive and Odin will look but he will not approach unless I say "go play" so when we go to the pet store I go so that he can be socialized and smell all the smells. When another dog is pulling to meet Odin I let them say hello. But if the owner is pulling their dog and trying to get control of them then I ignore and move to another area.

Most of the time when I am in the store I have Odin with me and people approach us I will let the other dog say hi to Odin if that is what the owner wants if the dog is interested in me and wants to be petted I will ask but for the most part they are uninterested and I will just let them walk on by.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Proper pet store etiquette is to not let you dog stick their noses up someone's anatomy. :shocking: I will let my dogs greet people. One of the Petsmart cashiers is Ilka's favoritest person in the world. The trainer is her second favoritest person. I rank a distant third. That said, I don't allow them to jump on random strangers, and I definitely try to keep them out of their dog's face (if they have a dog with them). I was taught to always ask before petting any dog, whether it had it's nose up my anatomy or not.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Well, I am careful that the 2 Rotti Petsmart Ambassadors are there visiting also.
2nd last lesson at Petsmart with Nubis, we go looking at some stuff. As we are leaving the instructor says meet the 2 Petsmart Ambassadors, so we did. THe guy,goes on and on about, his big pussycats, 130 & 150 lbs, wouldnt hurt a fly blah blah blah.
The following week, as we were heading to the checkout, 2 Rottis again visiting, well out of no where, the heaviest Rotti, lunges and snaps at Nubis. Then the guy freaks all over him and apologizes, saying he is not sure why he did that.
I thought, Oooooo k.......
I always find it funny most of the time, when dogs react this way, and the owner is not sure, why they did that.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do not give Bronson enough leash slack to reach other dogs, but if the other dog really wants to say hi and the owner is okay with it I will let him say hello.

I also do not pet other peoples dogs unless I ask/am invited to. But I will deff baby talk and say "aren't you cute" etc.

I get kind of annoyed when people pet Bronson without asking, since he is kind of hand shy. Its more because the average person has no idea how to great a dog and usually freaks him out more than he should be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am the person walking the perimeter of the store avoiding everyone. Otherwise everyone in the store runs up to pet the puppy.

Except kids, Romeo would just die if he couldn't meet all the little people. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've always enjoyed interacting with other people and their dogs at pet stores. I think most people who bring their dogs into the store feel the same - if they didn't, why not just leave the dog at home? It's just a given that if you bring your dog there, someone will want to pet them and strike up a conversation about them.

However...after my last visit to Petsmart with Dakota I don't plan on bringing her with me anymore. We were just walking through the double doors, had barely even entered the store when another dog who was standing just inside(with owner) snapped at her and latched onto her neck. Dakota yelped bloody murder and tried to hightail it back outside. I checked her all over and didn't see any bites so nothing was done at the time(although the employees told me to please let them know if I did find anything), but when I got home upon closer inspection she was bleeding on her neck, right under her ear.

After that went down I don't think I'll be bringing her back with me, because I no longer trust that other dogs in the store will not be hostile or aggressive and I'd just rather not put her in that situation. She can be nervous around other dogs as it is, and having been attacked on a previous occasion I now try to control her interaction with dogs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My girls are a favorite at our Petco, and the entire staff loves to come see them when we go. And we go quite often. I have stopped in a couple times to get dog food and not had them with me and I get told that is not allowed. They are good when we go, usually it is Bella who wants to greet every other dog/owner in the store, and she thinks the treat bar is an all you can eat buffet, but she wont jump up and help herself, she waits to be told she can have some.

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Registered
178 Posts
If a dog is up on me, I will talk to it. But I will also take a step back and then ask the owner if it's okay to pet their dog. Sometimes even when they are sniffing me or actually touching me, the owner still does not want me to pet the dog because they're head shy, in training, etc.

On the other hand, I will protect myself if you allow your two little white fluffballs on flexi leads to lunge at and attempt to bite me as I'm exiting the store. Even if you tell me they're nice and are just trying to say hi... with their teeth. (Still a little annoyed over that one, a few days later....)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I don't go out of my way to talk to an owner and meet another dog unless it's one that catches my interest. I make sure my dogs are at my side being polite and quiet, I do enjoy watching Prime play bow to small dogs, always catches the owners by surprise and eases their minds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I only take 1 dog at a time into the pet store & usually it's tanner, she is the most Velcro dog we have, plus she gets her nails done at petsmart . She generally has no interest in meeting new people, stays by me the whole time and just kind of observes other dogs lol I usually have people ask to pet her or the occasional employee who will try to give her a treat ( she has grain allergies so I usually say no)
Other than that I hate when people bring dogs in on retractable leashes and let them terrorize the store... usually ankle biters that feel the need to jump all over my kid :/

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't tend to interact with other peoples' dogs, but I am friendly and approachable if people want to interact with my dogs. Usually people are unsure but curious so I'll say something like "would you like to meet him/her?" and then send my dog to "go be friends". They don't pull or show any interest in meeting people until I release them to do so, and even then it's just to appease that person and me. They're friendly but indifferent, which is nice.

I don't tend to let people interact with Dance too much though. She's shy and I don't want to push her over her threshold. Otherwise she'll bark and scare people, plus, I want people interactions to be positive for her. Which means that I don't want a lot of people forcing interaction with her unless she shows a bit of interest.

And I don't tend to ever let my dogs meet other peoples' dogs in pet stores or on leashed walks. I don't like it when people let their dogs get in my dogs' faces when we're in a store and so I don't allow that from my dogs. It's rude. Plus, there are a lot of leash reactive dogs out there.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Whenever I take Harley out (I don't take him in stores often) he always gets the people that either sneak up on him or the people that just reach down and try and pet him without asking (as he is backing away from them). He doesn't like random people coming up to him and petting them, he prefers to go to people on his own terms.

Kahlua doesn't mind situations like that, she usually loses interest in them if they don't have treats or they stop giving her treats (the Petsmart people love her, she's pretty popular).

I did grab someone's puppy last week that was running away, probably just 8 weeks old and they were in there buying a leash and they set it down and it took off. They gave me a nasty look when I gave the dog back, and didn't say thanks or anything... :confused: But generally, I leave other dogs alone unless they are trying to get to me, then I ask first.

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
I love taking apollo to our local petsmart people always come up and wanna talk because they have never seen a blue dobie in person or have never seen one. I get it all the time i didnt even know there where other colors then the black ones. Apollo picks and chooses who he wants to meet but isnt scared if some one just walks up. I tend to just look and keep walking unless I see another dobie or someone wants to talk.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner has great manners and we kind of keep to ourselves. If someone is interested in him and wants to talk or pet him I welcome it. I try to be sensitive to those who may be uncomfortable around big dogs though so I don't force him on anyone. As far as other dogs, I don't approach other people's dogs at all. I am friendly, but I give everyone space.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I do not give Bronson enough leash slack to reach other dogs, but if the other dog really wants to say hi and the owner is okay with it I will let him say hello.

I also do not pet other peoples dogs unless I ask/am invited to. But I will deff baby talk and say "aren't you cute" etc.

I get kind of annoyed when people pet Bronson without asking, since he is kind of hand shy. Its more because the average person has no idea how to great a dog and usually freaks him out more than he should be.
I'm exactly like this!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts