Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Which type of collar?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dogs wear regular buckle collars around the house and the yard with their tags attached. When we go out, they all wear martingales.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Honestly, right now Ava doesn't wear a collar unless she's outside. She normally wore a lupine snap collar but it wore most of the fur away from underneath her neck! So I've kept the collar off in hopes the fur will grow back and maybe I'll find another collar that's more gentle. Poor little baby looks so silly with her bald neck. :sadcry:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
We actually use three, I don't keep one on her regularally, I've found it has been rubbing her hair off under her neck. But for hiking we use a harness, all other basic travels, most walks, and working we just use a wide nylon collar, for visits in the public and such related trips we use a prong.

Edited because I changed my collar "habits" since posting this 4 months ago!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Takira wears a few different types also.

For everyday she wears a small leather with her Rabie and Twp reg tag. For OB training she wears her Prong. For outside play or walks at home it is the choke collar. I will soon be replacing the choke with the E-Collar.

DA

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
This is going to sound funny but Gracie has 7 collars. She has a prong, leash traing collar, nylon every day collar, (hubby got her) a choke collar, a harness, a e-collar, a gentle leader. I think that's all of them. When we got her she came with 3 of them. We pick and chose which collare to use for what situation. If we take her into a pet store she gets her prong collar, she can be out of control in the pet stores. All she sees are toys and kids, she will grab every toy she can and destroy it in the store. :(For walks she gets the e-collar with the choke collar. To go (shhh) bye bye she gets her regular every day collar but we take a few backups with us. When we go camping. Lol she is really out of control there, we take every single one of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess I sound more like Gracie's mom. First, my dogs do not wear collars except when going out. In the house and fenced yard, no collars. I have a variety. Prong for walking and work, rolled leather combo, which I guess I could call the everyday collar. Also have harnesses, choke collars and fursaver collar. My Baron is another one that gets a bald neck from a flat collar.

·
Registered
190 Posts
you guys really need to check out gentle leaders. dogs figure them out quickly. they walk too far ahead theey end up looking at ground. to then teach to pace i used light tuggings to be irritating and annoying and now he paces next to me to avoid it. if i call command of sit and he disobeys and continues to jump. i take leash short and pull up. a bit more uncomfortable than the pinch so he responds faster and learns faster.
buy it from ebay size large. ill get more pics.

btw he only wears that when he goes out

·
Registered
323 Posts
GKar uses a rolled leather collar full time but I put a choke on him when we go for walks or out to stores. He has never been bad about pulling on a lead.

·
Registered
232 Posts
my 10month old has a leather one w metal buckle for most of the time and a choke for just loungin inside, my 10 week has a little pink soft one with a plastic buckle

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
whiteandblue said:
any ideas on what to do with Prince... so he will walk and not freak out?

If he freaks when he feels the pressure of the lead, don't worry lots of pups go through that. Just sit a little in front of him with his collar on and some yummy morsels and be really happy and highpitched if you know what I mean, just really happy "come come, gooood puppy come prince" and give just a LITTLE tug on the leash at the same time and hold the morsel out for him to have once he has come. Once he's comfortable with that stand facing him and back up telling him all the same happy come commands with just a little more pressure on the lead (still light, just enough for him to feel) and keep backing up and keep having him follow you...from there graduate to walking beside him with the leash on and periodically change directions so he can feel the pressure of the leash but bait him with morsels to keep him going and just be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!

Hope this helped!!! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Max has a black & orange Harley collar with small studs on it & one very thick black 1 with spikes on it. It makes him look intimidating, even though he is very gentle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
All of mine have the flat nylon with plastic buckle collars, i guess they dont get as spoiled as everyones here...shhhhhe dont tell them that but i have never had a problem with them pulling except my boxer and well if any of you know boxer i dont see it stopping anytime soon i even triend the gentle leader

·
Registered
275 Posts
Abby has two leather collars with metal buckles. Used to have a nylon one but she broke the plastic buckle on it (lesson not to tie her out front as i run in the house for two minutes...found her jogging down the road to check out the neighbourhood children!)

Used to use a gentle leader to teach her to walk nicely on leash...worked wonders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my two wear very soft but durable collars. They are fail safe and do not cause any discomfort or pain.::cool2:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dar and Sasha have a variety of collars, mostly webbed w/ big plastic snap closures for around the house and in the car. If I take them out walking, it's usually a chain slip collar and a flat collar (the chain in case I need to switch quickly) I have trained both of them with a Gentle Leader, and I think it is a wonderful invention! I caught all kinds of hell on another forum over using Gentle Leaders, you know, the "know-it-alls" that try to tell you that you will snap their neck, or their heads will fall off, or something equally as weird. One guy told me that I was abusing my dog by using a GL. I dont happen to agree with that...you can abuse your dog with any type of collar if youre that type of person. But, mostly, my girls just wear the flat webbing, plastic quick-snap collar. Dar even has one that lights up for evening walks!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts