Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gracie knows: sit, down, off, stay, find it, watch me, come, get it, free, shut doors, beg, crawl, roll over, outa there, move, beep (when she backs up I beep at her.) ready, bye bye, outside, shake, dance, and hi five.

She also know how to turn on the sensor light, if she runs under it and it doesn't turn on she throws on her brakes and going back and sits under the light and moves her head until it turns on.

I try to work with her 30 minutes a day, I would like to work with her more but she gets bored to easy. I have to take all of her toys away while working with her.

So what does your dog(s) know? I am looking for more tricks to teach my girl. As of yet though I am clueless.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gunner - recall, Loose leash walking, sit, down, and stay (all on cammand), pause before going in and out of doorways, fetch, off, leave it, potty trained and i think thats it

Daisy - 1/2 way recall, sit, down, 1/2 way potty trained (last night after her bath she went to the door and was crying and i let her out and she peed so...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lexy is just her OB commands really.....she is mostly german trained, all the regulars sit, down, stay, heel, finish right and left, come front, jump, leave it.... Best party trick, I put two pieces of chicken (or some other yummy) on each foot while in a down, and she just stares intently at them until told her release command. She also know bite, but it is all in fun, at the end of our workouts I put her in a sit stay and go across the yard with her rope toy and tell her paken fass (don't know how on earth to spell that!!) and she launches from across the yard at the toy....actually I've been making Tom do it because she hits too hard, she about knocked him clean over last week!! But she goes nuts over it it's her after work funtime. She knows "aus" (out) and gives it right back to me after.

Also been biking with her, she loves that and it is great exercise, just have to be careful, we only go at night when there is no traffic (I live in a development so it is not on a open road) and we don't go above a trot in her speed. but she knows where to stay. Gonna teach her the find it command too, that seems like fun learning!

I taught my hubby's dog to dance, hi five, and she already knew how to wave.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gracie's get it is her fetch command. I would love to train her in German. I think I will need to know some of the words first eh? I can ask my neighbor she is German. I wonder if she would help me. Gracie is also potty trained.

Wave that would be a good one, only problem is, she is afraid of showing her front feet or lifting them. Hubby and I are the only ones she will let tough her feet. When we take her to get her nails done hubby holds her down while I hold her paws up. She freaks out every time.

Okay if I put food on my foot and made Gracie wait for it I think my foot would go down her mouth along with the food. :( I must work on that one. Her stay isn't perfect either. She has way to much energy and has to see where we are going at all times. If we turn our back to her she gets up and comes over to see our faces to see what we are doing.

She is also potty trained. She had one accident shortly after we got her. The foster parents told us that about once a month or so she needs to go out in the middle of the night. Okay no big deal right? Well she was in her cage sleeping and I was also sleeping, I kept hearing her cry. I thought it was a dream, the next morning I wake up open her cage and talk to her a few minutes before I let her out, and as I was petting her I felt a wet spot. I felt like a smuck. I thought I was dreaming. Poor baby!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
What methods did you all use for getting them to go "down" my 10month old one has it on lockdown, but my 10 week old one is all about the food reward and thats pretty much the only way she'll do it is if u fool her into thinking that u have some

also how did u teach her to roll over

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sit, down, stay, leave it, watch me, find it, who is it, dead, paw, speak, turn around, heel, come, release, bow, back, go potty.... And I know there's one or two missing but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.

Gracie's Mom- If you're looking for some new tricks to teach Gracie, pick up a copy of the book 'The Everything Dog Training and Tricks Book' by Gerilyn Bielakiewicz. It's got a bazillion different things to teach and it breaks down each new command so it's easy to teach and for the dog to learn.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Gunner said:
What methods did you all use for getting them to go "down" my 10month old one has it on lockdown, but my 10 week old one is all about the food reward and thats pretty much the only way she'll do it is if u fool her into thinking that u have some

also how did u teach her to roll over
arent you supposed to be the one taking the dog training classes? :)

shes TEN weeks old! giver her a break and give her the cookie! all your training at this point should be rewarding with toys, treats, and anything and everything she likes - ALL positive. if she wants to work for the cookie, give her the cookie!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maggie knows: Shake, Other Paw, Lay Down, Roll Over, Play Dead, Sit, Stand Up, Heel, Catch The Ball, Back Up(pretty much down pack), Hold It(treat on nose, in mouth, ect...), No Touch

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I taught Gracie roll over by putting her in a down position and rolling her over myself after I did that about 5 times she got it. So now when she is on the couch I tell her to roll over. As soon as she does I pet her little belly. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
doberkim said:
arent you supposed to be the one taking the dog training classes? :)

shes TEN weeks old! giver her a break and give her the cookie! all your training at this point should be rewarding with toys, treats, and anything and everything she likes - ALL positive. if she wants to work for the cookie, give her the cookie!

well ya but i like other opinions, i went up to see my friend Charles, whose been a trainer for 20 years or better and he had her in the middle of the store sitting and going down, he was doing it just like i was, so i guess i was right. But ur right, i am being a little strict for a 10 week old puppy, i guess because i had a late start on my first one

·
Banned
375 Posts
gunner i take a treat and have her sit and then show her the treat and place it between her frot paws next to her tummy and she has to lie down to get it... it works with my baby... as she going down i say down.,,,, down..... down.... good down... Tasneem good girl and lots of praises and she is learning... so i hope that helps gunner... even though she is ten weeks you said.. i think...

you can teach her and dont worry you are making sure she is being a pup also... i taugh tas to sit by 9 weeks and stay at 10... prince by 11 weeks (sit) and stay is still being taught... she is learning down now... so you are doing right..

she will really retain info when she turns about 12 weeks old... it will help her to still go over it alot when she turns twelve weeks... just repatitioin and positive rewards...

Im not sure if it will work with yours hun but tas does it... hugs... :D pmme if it doesnt... ill call my private trainer :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
whiteandblue said:
gunner i take a treat and have her sit and then show her the treat and place it between her frot paws next to her tummy and she has to lie down to get it... it works with my baby... as she going down i say down.,,,, down..... down.... good down... Tasneem good girl and lots of praises and she is learning... so i hope that helps gunner... even though she is ten weeks you said.. i think...

you can teach her and dont worry you are making sure she is being a pup also... i taugh tas to sit by 9 weeks and stay at 10... prince by 11 weeks (sit) and stay is still being taught... she is learning down now... so you are doing right..

she will really retain info when she turns about 12 weeks old... it will help her to still go over it alot when she turns twelve weeks... just repatitioin and positive rewards...

Im not sure if it will work with yours hun but tas does it... hugs... :D pmme if it doesnt... ill call my private trainer :D

no thats exactly what ive been doing, slowly lowering it between her paws the pulling and she lies right down, im gonn ahve to work on stay

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:

I think Gunner's point was that the dog will down with lure, but is stuck there.

I agree with what others have said -- she's a puppy, and I think with age she will easily transition off the lure.

However, if you're looking to pinpoint and shape behaviors, have you considered clicker training? It can be really great to mark the exact behavior you want. For example, if she downs but quickly pops up, you can click right before she hits the floor so she hears it as she is down and knows that is the behavior you want. Without it, if she downs and pops up you're stuck deciding whether to reward her because she did down but reinforcing popping up quickly, or not rewarding at all and risking that she doesn't think she gave the right behavior and stop downing altogether. Of course, if she hasn't worked with a clicker before you will first have to charge the clicker and teach her what it means before you can start working on things such as down...

The dog that I am currently training with knows: sit, down, stand, stay (i'll come to you when you're released), wait (you come to me when you're released), come (she's got an EXCELLENT recall), finish (left), side (right finish), around (around finish), get it (her tail, she chases it on command), touch (my hand or an object, she'll jump about 3 feet in the air to touch my hand!), follow (keep touching my hand as we move), easy, leave it, heel, watch, over (jump), tire (jump through something)...
can't think of other real commands... she knows basic things like go inside, eat it, bathroom, let's go to bed, go find _____ (frisbee, ball, etc), want some?, want to go for a ride?, etc etc etc

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let's see, Max can bark, jump up on me when I come home from work, throw around the knot end of a bone like it's a ball, get angry at me if I try to take his bone, :)

He knows come, outside, down, sit, lay, want your medicine, mama's home, wanna go to bed. I also think he knows what we are talking about. There is a Petcare center called Goldrusk by us. They have a Play camp thing for big dogs on Tuesday & Thursday. You drop your dog off & they get run around all day long with other dogs their size. If we talk about it the day before he is going, the next morning he is all excited like he knows he's going.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
elle said:
The dog that I am currently training with knows: sit, down, stand, stay (i'll come to you when you're released), wait (you come to me when you're released), come (she's got an EXCELLENT recall), finish (left), side (right finish), around (around finish), get it (her tail, she chases it on command), touch (my hand or an object, she'll jump about 3 feet in the air to touch my hand!), follow (keep touching my hand as we move), easy, leave it, heel, watch, over (jump), tire (jump through something)...
can't think of other real commands... she knows basic things like go inside, eat it, bathroom, let's go to bed, go find _____ (frisbee, ball, etc), want some?, want to go for a ride?, etc etc etc

thats my mya girl :) mya also knows paw!!!! (that was the first thing she ever offered me)

my OTHER dog (the dobe) knows:

sit
down (sphinx down)
platz/down (down on recall)
couche (down on his side)
head down (put your head down when you are laying on your side)
stand (from a sit and from a down)
stay
wait
come (come to my general area)
front (come to me and sit in a front)
finish (left sided finish)
around (right finish)
turn (turn in a clockwise circle)
twist (turn counterclockwise)
high five (both front paws)
shake (both front paws)
speak (a regular bark)
whisper (a quiet bark)
touch (my hand)
target (touch an object i tell him to)
hhe picks up an object i tell him to (still fine tuning this, he is NOT a retreiver)
close (get into heel position from wherever you are, and do so by swinging your behind)
easy (loose leash walking)
leave it
tire (same as mya)
crawl (self explanatory)
fuss (attention heeling)
bring it in (swing your bum cause were turning left)
ok! (end of behavior)

and then the normal things - go upstairs (he goes to bed), kennel, car, get up (gets onto something), get it, etc. he also gives kisses and then nasty kisses (where he snaps his teeth).

things we are working on -
shy (cover your eyes)
dance (lift your right and left leg alternating out in front of you)
back (heel backwards)

he used to have a tunnel command, but i dont let him anymore since it could hurt his neck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
elle said:
I think Gunner's point was that the dog will down with lure, but is stuck there.

I agree with what others have said -- she's a puppy, and I think with age she will easily transition off the lure.

However, if you're looking to pinpoint and shape behaviors, have you considered clicker training? It can be really great to mark the exact behavior you want. For example, if she downs but quickly pops up, you can click right before she hits the floor so she hears it as she is down and knows that is the behavior you want. Without it, if she downs and pops up you're stuck deciding whether to reward her because she did down but reinforcing popping up quickly, or not rewarding at all and risking that she doesn't think she gave the right behavior and stop downing altogether. Of course, if she hasn't worked with a clicker before you will first have to charge the clicker and teach her what it means before you can start working on things such as down...

yea exactly, good idea, ive been debating lately on using the clicker, i think i will since shes young, thanx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, so I have a 'shallow end of the gene pool' dog... BUT, she does know to ring a bell on the front door knob when she has to go outside to go potty. We live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and it's a pain in the ass to always run down with her, so we trained her to 'ring'. On 'I really have to pee bad' she has actually flung the bells right off the door. She also knows (or rather conciders) come, stay, down, heel, sit, and shake. I am hoping by the time she is 2 that the windtunnel between her ears fills and she will come, stay, sit, ect. when I tell her to, not when she thinks its convinient to do so. Not sure as to who is training whom... lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
Gracie knows: sit, down, off, stay, find it, watch me, come, get it, free, shut doors, beg, crawl, roll over, outa there, move, beep (when she backs up I beep at her.) ready, bye bye, outside, shake, dance, and hi five.

Your the first person I have seen that their dobe knows Hi-five! :3dbiggrin
Bobbie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi!

My Rough Collie Kimberly is an agility dog.

I'm also teaching my Pit Bull Harm and Grey Hound Mac agaility as well.

Good Bye!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.