Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it is planned that i will be getting another dobe next may/june. That gives me roughly 10-11 months to find a qualified trainer to help me learn to create a sound tempered Dobe. I have concerns about how King turned out, and looking back with what i know now, i basically did all the right things to facilitate his aggression. Even though i now know what i do, id like to have training serveral days a week for the first few months, and weekly or bi-weekly "progress" meetings with a trainer if anything should pop up and to make sure i am doing the correct things.

I thought this may make a good stick, so here goes my question.

1)For those of you experienced with taining and dog behavior, what should i be looking for in a trainer?

2)Should i deal with a behaviorist as well as a trainer to get the most out of my dog and myself?

3)I know i have to be trained, because i treat my dog like a human and clearly dont provide the dominance needed. How can i spot in a trainer, the ability to correct this?

any additional information that may not be in my list of questions, but you feel is important, would be awesome as well.

Thanks

· just a member
3,000 Posts
Thats great news, Tom, that your want to get another dobie again. I think you already know most of these answers already. Find the best breeder you can when you choose your puppy. Spending the extra money now for a quality pup has a better chance of eliminating alot of behaviorial/medical issues that may appear in later years. In which you can spend alot more money try to resolve them later. A good training program that teaches you to teach your dog is very important. I like the positive reinforcement type classes. These type of classes will deal with the basic dog behavior.

The dedication you have shown with King has to be commended and I'm sure that once you get started with your new one, it will become obvious of what you will do.

· Premium Member
9,177 Posts
I'm happy that you are going to be adding a new Dobe to your life. Doing your research is a great idea.

I will second the opinion that finding a really good breeder is your first step. A truly fine breeder will be working hard to produce a Doberman with excellent temperament to begin with. Training is SO important also, but starting with a puppy that already has a genetically sound temperment will make everything SOOOOO much easier!

I would recommend reading some good books on training and behavior now - you can refer back to them once you have your dog. Also, start visiting training classes - pick the trainer that you feel you would be comfortable working with. There are so many training methods - no one training method works for everyone. Dobermans are smart dogs, too much repetition is boring to them, and heavy handed corrections are not a good idea. I like a happy medium. Training based on positive rewards with corrections as needed. My trainer does a lot of repetition (lets face it, not every breed is as smart as ours), but she does not mind if I vary it for my dog in order to keep her interested......... she knows that I won't bother anyone else in the class with it.

· Premium Member
4,267 Posts
Tom, what a giant step for you. I'm very happy for you.

I would get in touch with your local doberman club and ask them for recommendations. You have time to visit with the recommendations to see what you like, and time to save up for just the right one.

We have a trainer in the area that I would like to use that is a little hefty on price but worth it. I just wish she took installments. She does 3 home visits to start off with, then puppy/beg. ob classes and you have a membership type deal for a year all included in the price for the year. You can use her facilities and her and her trainers are available for any issues that come up within that year and you can join in on any of the various classes also during that year. The classes vary between beg.-advanced ob, full agility (this is mainly what her facility is set up for), conformation classes, etc. and she is a TDI tester also.

I wish you the best of luck looking for your new best friend.

· Registered
4,687 Posts
Look for someone who has trained hundreds of dogs. Has been a trainer for a long time and get recomendations. Look for a trainer that knows dog behavior because any good trainer is also a behaviorist. Most great dog trainers have been doing it for years w/many breeds and use a variety of methods depending on the needs of that dog and owner and should know how to do them all. Experience does count. Again recomendations, watch the person's attitude with the dog. The trainer should be able to tell you experiences with other dogs of YOUR breed along with other stories, she/he should know about Dobes and have trained many along with many other breeds, this how they learn dog behavior. The trainer should be relaxed and a good listener, listening to you and what your needs and wants are. They should be honest in the evaluation of your dog based on their experience and any trainer worth their salt will be able to make a connection with a puppy. Trainers can not fix bad breeding and can only work with what they have, you mentioned stable temperament that would come from the breeding, the parents, the history, a stable temperament is born it can not be made however it can, of course, be ruined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.