Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking when i get Dobe where is it gonna go when i leave for work? Leaving a dog in a crate past 4 hours is considered curel..... i have a small fenced in yard but no way do i wanna leave him outside my living situation is a little complicated to make it short i live in a huge house in town with my grandma and my uncle and his son they live up stairs i stay down stairs my grandmas house is super old and in need of some repairs so her son is trying to help her out for when she gets ready to sell it to try to get a little more out of it my uncle isnt home very often he is a truck driver but when he is i wouldnt want my dobe to be around them...not that they would like hurt it or abuse but i feel bad habits would become the norm for the dog and thats in no way what i want period im not having it for im going to be taking this serious and i want to do the best i can for the dog a doberman is more than a dog to me i dont know how to go about expressing it any better than that theres several rooms down stairs i work from 2-10 at night my grandma isnt your average grandma :3dbiggrin i mean she is in good health and she could run circles around some younger people (not kidding) she's up 5:30-6 every morning she takes care of everything around the house she has 3 minature poodles to watch after i was thinking i could give the dobe a major work out before i go to work and than crate him for 4 hours than have my grandma let him out and put him in a room to chill out in until i got back i dont wanna let him roam around the house that just wouldnt be good i would gladly take some ideas thanks :jonkel:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Lord, crxman, you've got to start using some periods and making sentances! Makes it easier to read!

Anyway, why do you think leaving your dobe in a crate for more than 4 hours is considered cruel? But eitherway, yeah it would be great if your future dog could get out of it's crate during the day supervised. It's definetely safer for the dog to be in the crate than roaming the house. Are you planning on a puppy? Or adopting an adult?

Didn't you have a rott too? (If not, sorry if I mixed you up with someone else) How is that dog doing?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lord, crxman, you've got to start using some periods and making sentances! Makes it easier to read!
I was just about to say that. I had to reread it a couple times in order for it to make sense.

What do you do with your other dog when you're not home?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about, the no sentances/periods LOL yeah I have the Rott over the past, month he has improved alot. His hair is coming , back He starting to look, like his old self again. He had a bad, case of Mange. I got him June at the Pound. I'm planning on a Dobe Pup. I have just always, heard the Crateing a Dog for more than 4 hours is curel i kinda believe it idk ...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i got the Rott from the, Pound i was told he, spent most of his time outdoors. When i go somewhere he goes out. He's in with, me alot more than he's outside. A Rott can, stand to be in a kennel or in a Fenced in yard or dog house for a few hours. Usually, the rott sleeps beside my bed though.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
just because a dog can stand it, i dont think its right - dogs can stand a LOT of things :(

crating for 4 hours is fine, but i would NEVEr leave any of my dogs outside unattended, especially when i am not home.

when i am gone, my dogs sleep on the couch or in my bed :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rott is tied up to a Dog house....... and he is checked every so often when im not home but usually he stays inside when im not home

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldnt, ever have a Dobe in a Doghouse or tied, up outside when i wasnt there. A Rott is a little, different in my Book I got, him from the Pound He's almost four and has already, grew into the Dog that he is. He spent is life before, outside he enjoys it. I'm going to refrain myself from getting a little mouthy. I havent had any Problems, on here yet and im not about, to make any. Usually Duke is inside, when Im gone anways chaseing my Grandmas Poodles around. :) lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
To be honest i wouldn't even have my dog of any breed regardless of its history tied to a dog house even if it did enjoy being outside. I would fear that someone could enter the property when i wwasnt looking and approach the dog alittle to close.

Im NOT saying your rottie is aggresive but i would rather have a barrier between my dog and the outside world..you cant trust other people more than anything.

I keep my dobie in a Massive secure kennel and run with thick steel grid wire. He has never shown any aggresion but better to be safe than sorry and with our circumstances he is better outside than in a room all day. Its what works for us. I have the luxury though of 6ft+ high secure fencing around the garden aswell. I have warning signs all over the fence and locks of the kennel and gate. I live in a 'nice' area but im covering myself. If someone un-padlocked the gate or climbed the fence not noticing the many obvious signs then approached the kennel and unpadlocked it or broke in they would be very stupid indeed and were obviously looking for trouble as they would have to get through alot of 'protective measures' to get to my dog..they could not argue that the dog got of a chain in the garden and jumped the fence.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, with everything You said. Better Safe than Sorry is the way to go. My yard has a 6 foot fence all the way around.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The crate should be the dogs best friend:) You never know what could happen outside,even in the house loose. I hear of dogs chewing or smallowing the littlest things that can kill them. My dogs can all stay in the crate at least 8 hours without a whine or barking. They sleep and eat in there(except byron anyway!) and its were they want to be if they are not running around. They were all housebroken when I was in high school and gone at least 8 hours a day. I don;t think it was cruel to them. If they were really young I tried to sneak home to let them out but at a certain age they can handle it. With college now my schedule is always screwy adn I wouldn't expect the dogs to be able to handle it wihtout the crates. I hate having diffrent feed and bathroom times for them but its the only way it works,thank god my lil brother agreed to help on the days I am gone for twelve hours with class and clinical.

·
Registered
232 Posts
crxman321 said:
I've been thinking when i get Dobe where is it gonna go when i leave for work? Leaving a dog in a crate past 4 hours is considered curel..... i have a small fenced in yard but no way do i wanna leave him outside my living situation is a little complicated to make it short i live in a huge house in town with my grandma and my uncle and his son they live up stairs i stay down stairs my grandmas house is super old and in need of some repairs so her son is trying to help her out for when she gets ready to sell it to try to get a little more out of it my uncle isnt home very often he is a truck driver but when he is i wouldnt want my dobe to be around them...not that they would like hurt it or abuse but i feel bad habits would become the norm for the dog and thats in no way what i want period im not having it for im going to be taking this serious and i want to do the best i can for the dog a doberman is more than a dog to me i dont know how to go about expressing it any better than that theres several rooms down stairs i work from 2-10 at night my grandma isnt your average grandma :3dbiggrin i mean she is in good health and she could run circles around some younger people (not kidding) she's up 5:30-6 every morning she takes care of everything around the house she has 3 minature poodles to watch after i was thinking i could give the dobe a major work out before i go to work and than crate him for 4 hours than have my grandma let him out and put him in a room to chill out in until i got back i dont wanna let him roam around the house that just wouldnt be good i would gladly take some ideas thanks :jonkel:

trust me, unless extreme weather conditions occur, he/she will be ok outside

·
Registered
190 Posts
joce said:
The crate should be the dogs best friend:) You never know what could happen outside,even in the house loose. I hear of dogs chewing or smallowing the littlest things that can kill them. My dogs can all stay in the crate at least 8 hours without a whine or barking. They sleep and eat in there(except byron anyway!) and its were they want to be if they are not running around. They were all housebroken when I was in high school and gone at least 8 hours a day. I don;t think it was cruel to them. If they were really young I tried to sneak home to let them out but at a certain age they can handle it. With college now my schedule is always screwy adn I wouldn't expect the dogs to be able to handle it wihtout the crates. I hate having diffrent feed and bathroom times for them but its the only way it works,thank god my lil brother agreed to help on the days I am gone for twelve hours with class and clinical.

I agree.

Its upsetting for us to do this and he gets spoiled and appreciated when we get home but we also keep him regularly excercised so he gets to stretch out, etc.

I would never trust a Dobe too much by himself in a fenced yard, You can find videos on the internet of watching dobes climb HUGE fences.

I am gradually letting him be outside on his own, for five minutes, then ten minutes, and so on. That way he recognizes this is his extension of a domain that he cannot leave and is expected to return to the main domacile.

·
Registered
281 Posts
FiReBReTHa said:
I would never trust a Dobe too much by himself in a fenced yard, You can find videos on the internet of watching dobes climb HUGE fences.

I am gradually letting him be outside on his own, for five minutes, then ten minutes, and so on. That way he recognizes this is his extension of a domain that he cannot leave and is expected to return to the main domacile.
oh i can vouch for that ..Harveys makes it look like childsplay when climbing fences..

like firebretha said you have to train them their boundaries of their domain. When im home (and only when im home) during the day the back door to the garden is left open and he is free to come and go as he pleases especially when its nice outside so he can lay in the sun. I can leave the gates open and he will not pass them as he knows not to..they never get left open of purpose but it somes in handy when im need to leave them open when coming straight in and out..he knows his place is the garden and the home and anything beyond that is mine and he can come with me but never on his own. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts