Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of at a lost at this point; Sasha has never had any issues with growling or aggressive behavior towards other dogs, before now. The situation is that I take Sasha to work with me at least three to four days out of the week and when Sasha and I went on our mini vacation recently one of my Co-workers started bringing her 15 month old English Bulldog to work with her. Sooo my concerns are that my Co-worker had the brilliant idea to let her dog use Sasha's dog bowls from my office during our absence and upon our return Sasha had an immediately dislike towards Reggie the bulldog. I have tried taking them out of the building where there is no territory space evolved, tried petting Sasha while I bring Reggie over and re introducing them, along with giving them both rewards while playing outside.
Sasha has never attempted to snap at Reggie, but she has shown her teeth. I'm not sure if its Reggie's energetic youth always wanting to come in my office and play, or that he is one of those not so pretty bulldogs that has an under bite and is always showing is teeth(not by choice). Whatever it is I don't really like this behavior and absolutely don't want it to continue. Has anyone had something similar, or any suggestions?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Is Reggie, still using Sasha's bowl?
Is Sasha, the only dog in your House:?
Has she shared her bowl, with any other dog before?

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
You didn't really say so I'm just kind of talking in generalities here but, how are the Bulldog's manners? I've worked with more than a handful of English Bulldog's through my training club and they are hard-headed and can be very obnoxious and pushy both toward people and other dogs.

Wouldn't really matter to me, I guess, because I don't expect my dogs to like other dogs or be friends with other dogs no matter where we go. They're expected to tolerate and ignore other dogs unless I say they can interact, and in an office environment my dog would be expected to lay down and relax on their bed (assuming she has a bed in your office) until I get her up for an outing.

If the other person doesn't want to keep tabs on where their dog is, and you have an office, I'd put up a baby gate in your door so he couldn't just come strolling in.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Dogs, just like people with other people, are not going to like every single dog they encounter. Now Prime is a super dog social dude and is perfectly happy cuddling up to my boyfriend's male GSD on the bed, and wrestling nicely with a min pin, but there are some dogs that he just hates from the start and does not hesitate to issue corrections and he would fight if I'd let him(gender and age doesnt matter). If you've tried to get them to co-exist peacefully and it's just not happening, keep them separate and don't be so hard on your dog :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Hahah, If I came home (2nd home) and someone I didnt know was eating from my cutlery, I would be a little pissed too.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
As has been said, some dogs just do not like other dogs and it sounds as if your girl doesnt like the bulldog especially since he has had his mush in her bowls.

I would simply keep Bulldog and Dobe apart. They managed to live without each others company beforehand they will do it again. If your girl shows aggression then I would nip it in the bud before it turns into something no one wants to see, dog fight. How you achieve this is up to you, I find a sharp NO! followed by the command of 'leave it!' has some effect on Toby who has always been dog reactive (his is through fear). However, it has taken a lot of time probably going on 9 months now for him to do as he is told and not what he feels is right. I am not suggesting it will take this long with your girl, she sounds very social (which Toby is not, not with humans or dogs). She also sounds as bright as a button, (not sure if Toby is that or not, lol) so it could take but a few times of telling and voila problem avoided.
I personally decided long ago that I only ever wanted for Toby to ignore people and dogs etc so we can get through life without any fisticuffs. I don't want, need, or expect him to be friends with everyone and every dog and this is how I have aimed his training. If you however, want this for your girl then I think the others on this site who are more Dobe savvy are the ones to advise you, not me.
I do think the Bulldog needs to learn his boundaries. His bowls are his, your girls bowls are hers, none of this 'oohhh what you got there sweetcheeks, mind if I slobber into your water' Number one, even with the best of dogs this is not the best way to 'win friend and influence people' number 2 is unsanitary.
If they are in a communal area then both need to learn to keep their distance if they cannot be nice with each other. Basically it has to be, you stay your side of the office and I will stay mine, 'no win, no foul'. If you can place a gate on your door then this might be an option but I would try to get your girl to listen to you as well. A Dobe nose can go through the bars and grab so easily if she is so minded, so if I were you I would teach her the 'NO, LEAVE IT!' command for just such occasions.

Hugs to Sasha from Toby.

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is Reggie, still using Sasha's bowl?
Is Sasha, the only dog in your House:?
Has she shared her bowl, with any other dog before?
Reggies is not using her bowl anymore, it was washed out completely.

I have a jack russell and a miniture schnauzer at home that all get along, but no sharing of bowls

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I think you have partially answered your own question.

Reactions: ZeldaRules

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Reggies is not using her bowl anymore, it was washed out completely.

I have a jack russell and a miniture schnauzer at home that all get along, but no sharing of bowls

Maybe that's something you can work on with future dogs, curbing resource guarding issues creates a more well-balanced dog and less stress/worry. My dogs have their own bowls but they are so tolerant they can actually eat out of the same bowl together. This has greatly helped when new dogs and fosters come into the picture and when we go to dog events or dog parks because there are community bowls and kiddie pools out.

This is Prime with a former foster of mine. Both males, both were intact at the time.

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You didn't really say so I'm just kind of talking in generalities here but, how are the Bulldog's manners? I've worked with more than a handful of English Bulldog's through my training club and they are hard-headed and can be very obnoxious and pushy both toward people and other dogs.

Wouldn't really matter to me, I guess, because I don't expect my dogs to like other dogs or be friends with other dogs no matter where we go. They're expected to tolerate and ignore other dogs unless I say they can interact, and in an office environment my dog would be expected to lay down and relax on their bed (assuming she has a bed in your office) until I get her up for an outing.

If the other person doesn't want to keep tabs on where their dog is, and you have an office, I'd put up a baby gate in your door so he couldn't just come strolling in.

Thanks for the advice, I was just a little concerned since I have never seen this from her before. Reggie is completely obnoxious though, so I guess she does pretty good concidering.

Sasha does hang out on her bed all day and follows me when I get up, and old Reggies roams free running into walls. He really bugs me as well , so maybe Sasha goes off my energy...we tolerate

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I will not tolerate food guarding in my house.
i knew an associate in the military who had a rotti, he thought it was a big joke, when the rottie pup would chase down his cat if it went near or in his bowl. I told him don't do that. 1 year later his niece crawled a slight distance from the bowl and you know what happened next. Luckily she survived needing only facial stitches. Prior to that she licked the kid, and shouldn't any bad signs, always supervised. The dog only did what is natural for them but the human, allowed it reinforcing this behavior.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I think you need to have a talk with the coworker about not letting her dog roam unsupervised. That's a recipe for disaster in so many ways.

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will not tolerate food guarding in my house.
i knew an associate in the military who had a rotti, he thought it was a big joke, when the rottie pup would chase down his cat if it went near or in his bowl. I told him don't do that. 1 year later his niece crawled a slight distance from the bowl and you know what happened next. Luckily she survived needing only facial stitches. Prior to that she licked the kid, and shouldn't any bad signs, always supervised. The dog only did what is natural for them but the human, allowed it reinforcing this behavior.
I agree completely! At home I have one of those circulating dog water bowls that they all drink out of, but Sasha has such a sensitive stomach I have to feed the dogs separately because they will share food with each other resulting in Sasha having the worst gas! My Jack Russell isn't a big eater he is more of a grazer, therefore his bowl is separated from other two.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like poor Sasha had your work place as her own until the other dog invaded her space! I don't blame her for being a little upset! I say put up a gate in your office (if you have a doorway). I don't like most of the people I work with either, Sasha! :huepfenju

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My Amy is super socialized, but one time my neighbors grandson brought over his 8 month unmannered/pushy Boxer pup.
He tried to bully her, and Amy returned serious growls & close nips...she was not tolerating his immature BS.
- sharing her water or food dish, with other canines...would go ok, a non issue

Like Nubis'sDad said - food guarding, is not tolerated / my sons little dog, found this out ASAP...when we babysit him.

·
Sashagirl
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like poor Sasha had your work place as her own until the other dog invaded her space! I don't blame her for being a little upset! I say put up a gate in your office (if you have a doorway). I don't like most of the people I work with either, Sasha! :huepfenju
She sure did! It might not have anything to do with Regg using her bowl and might be a pure diva jealousy thing!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
From what I read the dog was using the bowl when you weren't there not that she was guarding the dishes. My Pete is excellent with all dogs unless they jump on him which at that time he promptly tells them off. From your post it sounds like she doesn't like pushy obnoxious dogs either. I would expect her to ignore the bulldog if he isn't bothering her but would remove her from the situation if he persists in bothering her.

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
Dogs, just like people with other people, are not going to like every single dog they encounter.
That is so true. We are fostering a young, neutered boxer and our female dobe wants nothing to do with him. Even after almost two weeks of sharing space in our home, she still hasn't warmed up to him. It's a good thing he's being adopted this weekend. :)

She was very tightly bonded to our male dobe (who is no longer with us) and I sincerely hope she has another bond similar to it when she's ready.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts