Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a good chance that I won't get any say in the crop style of my pup if it comes from a good breeder, but out of curiosity, I sketched up the crop I like the best and I was wondering what kind of crop would it be considered. Short? Pet? Medium? "Military"?

I know I'm not the best artist but that's about the type of crop I like the best, maybe a *tad* longer.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
That is definitely a short, sometimes called "military," crop. Niz's cookie baker is right, they rarely look good in person. I think of all the dobes I've seen with short crops (and I've seen a lot) I've only seen two that it actually looked good on.

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
Cliff, it appears you're like me in liking a shorter crop. Most people on here don't like a short/military crop, but I think a long/show crops looks silly. I've always been of the opinion that if your going to crop the ears, then CROP the suckers. Mangujowa, you may think Niz's ears are too short, but for me, they are too long. That said, my preference is a natural ear.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably a short pet crop. Just a warning: it may look nice in the picture you drew, but it doesn't look so good in person:

Personally I think that looks fantastic- but I guess it's all up to opinion. I know I probably won't get my druthers on this but I was wondering what it would be classified as.

I just hope I can get a crop that will be shorter than the "normal" and not take forever and a day to post... I've never posted ears before. :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,306 Posts
A long military crop. A crop like that may look good on the broad face and short nose of the bully breed dog, but not so good on a long nosed, narrow headed doberman.
IMHO

Your drawing is a nice drawing, but to me looks a bit heavier in the neck and head than the typical doberman--that might be influencing your eye to feel that the crop matches the dog better.
Again, IMHO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,530 Posts

It only looks nice on an amstaff because of the shape of the head and how the ears are set.

If you see ears this short on a doberman in real life you will probably think differently.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,306 Posts
That last picture you linked to may be a longer crop than it looks because of the angle the picture is taken from.

You are the who has to happy with your dog's crop, obviously, but if your crop is markedly different from the typical doberman of your times, you might end up feeling like you are explaining it to people all the time.

One thing for sure.......you can't change it once it is done. So be sure about your choice. I imagine you know that already but I can't help being a mom-type.....nag, nag, my kids would tell me.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Personally I think that looks fantastic- but I guess it's all up to opinion. I know I probably won't get my druthers on this but I was wondering what it would be classified as.

I just hope I can get a crop that will be shorter than the "normal" and not take forever and a day to post... I've never posted ears before. :)
If you like that, then that's all that really matters.... except for the fact that if you ever had to return the dog to the breeder for some crazy, emergency circumstances, it'd be much harder for your dog to find a new home again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it looks good on that AmStaff personally. But then (no offense to anyone) I've never liked AmStaffs.

I like this one quite a bit as well:
Arjanne van Hermansjomaik

Looking at the photos (I drew without a reference) I guess what I like best in reality is a good bit longer than what I sketched, but broader at the top than most show crops. It's just the inward curve I'm not big on (although I don't think it looks bad, just not my preference). Can you tell me what that one would be? Sorry for asking so much, LOL, I'm just kind of new to crops. My girl is floppy-eared, as you can see. (Not that that's a bad thing; I love her floppies!)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I tend to think short, bully-type crops are jarring and take away from the natural beauty of a Doberman rather than compliment. I'd much rather have a natural ear over a military crop, it looks so sloppy even on a Boxer. If you've been to a Doberman rescue, you can take a look at every dog and the majority of the time if their ears are cropped.. it's a military crop. I say, if you're set on that crop, adopt. ;)

I think a medium pet crop is so much better, and generally speaking, the breeder and the person cropping already have an idea of what a "medium" crop will look like.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tend to think short, bully-type crops are jarring and take away from the natural beauty of a Doberman rather than compliment. I'd much rather have a natural ear over a military crop, it looks so sloppy even on a Boxer. If you've been to a Doberman rescue, you can take a look at every dog and the majority of the time if their ears are cropped.. it's a military crop. I say, if you're set on that crop, adopt. ;)

I think a medium pet crop is so much better, and generally speaking, the breeder and the person cropping already have an idea of what a "medium" crop will look like.
I'm not "set" on anything... as I said, I'm pretty sure I won't get the crop that I prefer. I would be happy to adopt but I'm looking to get a dog that can do SAR... I'd like to try for a BH as well. Health testing is also vitally important to me. If I get a healthy dog that can work, I wouldn't care WHAT the ears look like... It's of little importance to me!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
That would look gorgeous on a bully breed :) Small ears don't really match the Doberman stature and presence to me, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not "set" on anything... as I said, I'm pretty sure I won't get the crop that I prefer. I would be happy to adopt but I'm looking to get a dog that can do SAR... I'd like to try for a BH as well. Health testing is also vitally important to me. If I get a healthy dog that can work, I wouldn't care WHAT the ears look like... It's of little importance to me!
Don't tell that to my boyfriend's female Doberman, I hope to eventually start Schutzhund training with her and she's a rescue. lol.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Don't tell that to my boyfriend's female Doberman, I hope to eventually start Schutzhund training with her and she's a rescue. lol.

Good luck either way.
I know that rescue Dobes can work and work well! My current Dobe is pretty well trained in SAR (a little live, but mostly HRD), but they wouldn't certify her because she won't work for anyone else, and becomes nervous under any other handler... which is my fault, I'm sure, not hers. She's a rescue. But I'm horrified to get a Dobe when I don't know the health status of the parents... I'm constantly worrying over Bonnie's health, not a day goes by that I don't wonder, "Will she break down this year? How long will she last?" Apart from that, I'd like to "hedge my bets" by getting a dog off working titled parents.

Good luck to your boyfriend with his Dobergirl!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts