Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size crate is a good fit for a doberman? At the moment, she is in a decent sized crate, our second (thank God they were both free!) but I see her growing out of this one, again, shortly. I have been looking and like the ones with the double doors and think we will pick one of them up. It would work out well for when we get her spayed and she has the cone on too. She can get in and out easily that way, I think. Anyway, length and width is not the problem, but height is what I am after. What would be a good height? At the moment, she is ~45 lbs, measures ~23" at the top of her shoulder and is a little over 5 months old. We are assuming she will get to ~70 lbs, no idea on how tall. We won't keep her in it forever, but it will get plenty of use. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Rich

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If its big enough so the dog can stand up and turn around comfortably when its fully grown it will be fine i think most people have a Large or x-Large Crate for their Dobes.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Okay I pulled out the old measuring tape for ya! Lexy is about 70-75 lbs ( okay her and her mom put on a little weight for winter....) and about 25 - 26 inches tall, and her crate is approximately 30" wide x 48" long x 35" high.... She can stand comfortably in it (she might just have to hold her head down a little) and lay down and turn around. I'm sure it doesn't need to be quite this large, it's just what I wanted so she would be totally comfortable as she grew. Now she's next to never in it though :) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for taking the time, Lexus. I can't see my girl being in the crate forever, but I am sure to get almost another year out of it and so it makes a good investment.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
No problem, that's what we're here for;-)

I keep the dogs in the office when I go to work most of the time with the baby gateup (the crate is in the office and always open in case the dogs want it) and usually come home to all three of them balled up in it together! I've got to try to snap a pic of it sometime, it's a riot!

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
We are using the Midwest Life Stages Wire Mesh crate, Model 1636DD, with a double door. Size 36 L x 24 W x 27 H" for dogs up to 70 pounds. It comes with a moveable divider so you can have a puppy and make it just big enough and then you can move it when they need more space. Remember just to give them just enough room to move around and to lay down. This will help greatly with house breaking them. If they have too much room, like a 2 room apartment, they will eliminate on one side and sleep on the other. Use the crate whenever you can not supervise your pup 100%. Its like a good babysitter. I also use it as a correction tool. When she gets out of hand, for whatever reason, she gets a 30 second time out in her crate,or until she lays down, then she comes back out. Its a great traing tool to use

My girl is not quite 15 months and she still uses her crate. She sees it as her own room. When we aren't paying attention to her, or she gets tired before bed time, we find her in her crate. She loves the crate, because she knows its a place she can go to feel safe. Only just recently, we started leaving the door open at night, because she has earned more responsibility. She will stay in her crate until I come down in the morning. Its great.

I will say that a crate is awesome, when use properly, in their developement for the first year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely. The crate made housebreaking real easy. We use it when she cannot be watched or if we want to have a peaceful dinner. She also sleeps in it at night but she rarely hangs out in it. If she is tired, she has her favorite couch and if we are watching TV, she loves to lay with us. Nighttime is crate time though. If she gets out of hand we do put her in it to give us a break but she is never put in the crate for punishment. She is still a puppy and even when I am mad at her or trying to correct her, she thinks we are playing, tail wagging and all playful. I can't see her being in the crate forever, but it will be used for a while still. That and I like the double door design. Again, thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts