Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Steph & Leala
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just came home from a walk with Leala and I need some help/advise.

I was walking her, doing small training tasks. Like sit, stay, wait etc. We were doing very well, went past lots of distractions including kid's soccer practice and many other doags. But as we were coming home, we approached the house two doors down from us. A brand new family has just moved in and thier HUGE mastiff is roaming on the front lawn, not caged or tied up. (we live in duplexes with fenced back yards and SMALL, unfenced front yards). The couple who now own the house were in the front yard and I called out to them saying 'my dog is in training please leash your dog". They did nothing and the dog came running at us. I was very upset, Leala is great, but being run down by a dog much bigger than her and I am clearly upset would clearly upset her too. I yelled back at them 'catch your dog'. again they did nothing. The mastiff came at Leala and she snapped at him, and he backed up quick and his owner put him in the yard. I was super shaken up and the people said they would call the city about my 'dangerous dog'.

Has anyone else had this happen??

:mad:

·
Got mutt?
13,814 Posts
If your area has a leash law, they were in the wrong. I'd call animal services, and tell them the dog was loose, and came after your dog.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I've had it happen (minus the snap) with much, much smaller dogs. It's frustrating, and I've reminded the owners of leash laws each time (in mostly polite tones). I would definitely report their dog at large, as he's sure to continue to cause problems, however intentionally, for other dogs. He may end up in the road. Just a bad scene :(

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Report it to Animal Bylaw asap.
Your dog was acting in self defense.
If their is a next time you might not be so lucky.
Last week as we passed a lady and her chocolate lab, she put the lab in a down position. Once we were approx 4feet from them, the lab lunged at Nubis, barking/snapping, i dropped his leash slack and stepped in front while Nubis cleared the attack and regrouped back at my side. The meantime, the lady dragged the dog back, says nothing to the dog but says to me, "i don't know what got into him". I said nothing cuz, she was clueless. Had I allowed or trained Nubis to be reactive to these situations and he bit the dog , the tables would have been turned on us.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
So I just came home from a walk with Leala and I need some help/advise.

I was walking her, doing small training tasks. Like sit, stay, wait etc. We were doing very well, went past lots of distractions including kid's soccer practice and many other doags. But as we were coming home, we approached the house two doors down from us. A brand new family has just moved in and thier HUGE mastiff is roaming on the front lawn, not caged or tied up. (we live in duplexes with fenced back yards and SMALL, unfenced front yards). The couple who now own the house were in the front yard and I called out to them saying 'my dog is in training please leash your dog". They did nothing and the dog came running at us. I was very upset, Leala is great, but being run down by a dog much bigger than her and I am clearly upset would clearly upset her too. I yelled back at them 'catch your dog'. again they did nothing. The mastiff came at Leala and she snapped at him, and he backed up quick and his owner put him in the yard. I was super shaken up and the people said they would call the city about my 'dangerous dog'. Has anyone else had this happen??

:mad:
Those are fighting words to me.

Don't mess around w/that. If they're in the habit of letting their dog run loose you or an ally get video of it STAT.

As far as being threatened to be reported tho yes. A cable solicitor lady who can't or wouldn't respect our no soliciting sign kept knocking on our door, inspiring our boy to go into orbit sticking his head out the screen. She took her time leaving, I sarcastically thanked her for helping destroy our screen door then she threatened to report us as having a "vicious dog".

I flew out the front door & read her name tag & called the police for trespassing then the next day her place of employment submitted a complaint. With so many out of work in our state the least people could do to secure their jobs is be able to read a damned no soliciting sign.

Threatening my dog is the equivalent of playing w/C4.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Threatening my dog is the equivalent of playing w/C4.
Lol I loved playing with C4!!!
Yeah threatening my dog or my other loved ones is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Take your cell phone and document it every time.
We just had changes to our local dog law. Even if our dog is in our front yard off leash he still has to be under control. It is too strict. Your dog can be deemed dangerous just for just being at large 3 times.

NORTH ROYALTON: City Council concluded the reworking of a trio of ordinances dealing with dog behavior, adopting changes to the city’s legislation for dangerous and vicious dogs.

The latest changes, approved June 5, redefined what a dangerous dog is, keeping in line with the state’s recently reworked legislation which deemed pit bulls no longer automatically dangerous.

The city’s ordinance also called for dogs deemed dangerous to be leashed at all times, even on the owner’s property, and make the penalty for a dog being
declared dangerous a first-degree misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in
jail and a $1,000 fine. A dog can be declared dangerous by being at-large three
times.

“The system we had in place before worked,” said Mayor Robert Stefanik. “City council was dealing with common sense, and sometimes it’s hard to legislate common sense. But they did raise the penalties.”

At its May 15 meeting, council agreed to make it against the law for any dog to be off its owner’s property without a leash. Violation of this new law counts as a third-degree misdemeanor, which can bring a $500 fine and 60 days in jail for the owner.

Council also amended the requirements needed to impound an animal to include “biting,” and adding “people” to the possible victims. Previously, killing or injuring other animals, were the only requirements for impounding under this specific ordinance.

The Safety Committee began discussing dog control earlier this year after a North Royalton resident was attacked by two dogs while walking in her neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
DEFINITELY call animal control or the police and report them as having a loose dog that charged yours. Make sure to give them their address. You need to have a record.

Carry your cell phone if possible and be ready to videotape if you see their dog off-leash again.

·
Dober-DERP
302 Posts
You need to have a record.

Carry your cell phone if possible and be ready to videotape if you see their dog off-leash again.
This ^

If it comes down to anything with court, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove

I'll fifth (or fourth, or whatever number I am) the motion to call animal control. At the very least it'll be a record of the event in your favour. Your dog did NOTHING wrong. Someone strange and new running up into MY personal space would make me snap too.

Also remember...in alot of places (or by idiots) Doberman are thought of one of the "bad breeds", and these people may very well try to twist that in their favor if need be. They need to know that it doesn't matter if your walking a tea cup Chihuahua or a Great Dane, that is NOT acceptable behavior and that they need to remain in control of their dog before someone gets hurt.

Best of luck to you two! :)

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
if they are renting call their landlord
if they are buying contact the deed restriction people
most deed restrictions cover animal issues
let someone else confront them and tell them they are breaking law=so you don't attract
backlash
if NOTHING works you could find the leash law==make a xerox copy in bold letters==highlite it and put in envelope anonymously on their front door

·
Super Moderator
21,867 Posts
In addition to what's been said, I carry Direct Stop on my walks. It's a harmless citronella spray, but it will stop almost all dogs in their tracks. I can't afford to have a loose dog get in my reactive dog's face. Not only does it put both dogs at risk but it sets us back in training. Any loose dog that is within ten feet gets sprayed. There are leash laws for a reason.

·
Riley's Mom
527 Posts
I'll have to check out that spray, MeadowCat!

But man, what a horrible experience for you, OP. I've seen so many loose dogs in town that I was wondering how I was going to handle a situation like that if it ever occurred. I know my dog will ALWAYS be leashed when he's not in a fenced area or inside a familiar house. I can't understand others who don't follow that law... two things, they obviously don't care about their own dog's safety OR the safety of other people/dogs either!

Also, it is completely ridiculous that they think they can bitch about your dog when you were the one in the right, leashed, and your dog was only doing what comes naturally, trying to protect you from this massive beast charging over to you uninvited.

Idiots. They don't deserve to own any dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts