Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry if I have had so many health related questions lately and sorry in advance if I come across as unknowledgeable in this but I need to get some advice.
After Bumpy's latest health problem this weekend and his blood work the vet just called and said that they would prefer that his neuter take place at a specialized emergency facility in West Los Angeles, close to where I live. It is an animal surgery and emergency center. My vet said that because of his vWD affected status they would prefer not to order the cryoprecipitate and have it on hand, they would prefer this surgical center as they are equipped with everything. Well, the consultation is $140 and the neuter ranges from $900-$1400. I usually err on the side of caution, but is this ridiculous? My other two dogs are rescues, they got spayed and neutered at the Humane Society (because you have no options on that) and they were, of course, fine. This is my first Doberman and I feel like I am a beginner and have no clue what I am doing. Should this be so hard? Can someone please guide me on this. I read another posting where the veterinary center said they would order the products but not charge unless they were used. Were the prices this high as well? Sorry for the lengthy post but I feel like a new mom with no clue as to what I am supposed to do....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Wow! None of my dogs have been vWB affected, but that is a ton of money for the neuter. coes that cover the cryoprecipitate? The last dog I paid to have neutered (Pollo was already neutered when I got him) was 4 years ago and that was $90.

you may want to call a couple other vet places - maybe there is a vet school teaching hospital near by

good luck
cc

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know yet if this includes the cryoprecipitate....I am going to set up the consultation and find out. I was thrown off when I asked the price over the phone and they gave me that range - I didn't recover in time to ask the right questions.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lanabana said:
I am sorry if I have had so many health related questions lately and sorry in advance if I come across as unknowledgeable in this but I need to get some advice.
After Bumpy's latest health problem this weekend and his blood work the vet just called and said that they would prefer that his neuter take place at a specialized emergency facility in West Los Angeles, close to where I live. It is an animal surgery and emergency center. My vet said that because of his vWD affected status they would prefer not to order the cryoprecipitate and have it on hand, they would prefer this surgical center as they are equipped with everything. Well, the consultation is $140 and the neuter ranges from $900-$1400. I usually err on the side of caution, but is this ridiculous? My other two dogs are rescues, they got spayed and neutered at the Humane Society (because you have no options on that) and they were, of course, fine. This is my first Doberman and I feel like I am a beginner and have no clue what I am doing. Should this be so hard? Can someone please guide me on this. I read another posting where the veterinary center said they would order the products but not charge unless they were used. Were the prices this high as well? Sorry for the lengthy post but I feel like a new mom with no clue as to what I am supposed to do....
For a specialty and emergency clinic in downtown LA, that's probably not out of line. You can't compare this situation to a normal neuter, or even a normal neuter with a vWD affected doberman. The bleeding crisis this weekend has raised the stakes, and that means raising the price tag.

I can't say positively, but I'd imagine that quote also involves additional coagulation panels being done prior to the surgery.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
When we had Titus neutered a little over a year ago it was about $250. He had an undescended testicle and we had extra tests blood work done.

I am really not sure if that price is too much for a neuter as we have not had to deal with a dobie with vWD.

How old is Bumpy? What are the pro's and con's of having your dog neutered with this health issue?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Bumpy is 13 months old. I am starting to research the pros and cons of neutering him. The vet says it is a necessity as he could have prostate problems later and then it would be a nightmare. Is this true? I don't know. He is not aggressive, has no way to get out and get to an unspayed female, so I am a little apprehensive about neutering him. Any feedback from those of you that know?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When I had Asher and Doodle neutered, It was around $250. That included all of the monitoring and pain pills afterwards. I liked that they hooked them up on all sorts of heart monitors and watched absolutely everything. Someplaces are just in and out. The local spay and neuter clinic that does a quick in and out deal is a lot cheaper. They aren't as extensive either and handles all of the s/n's for the humane society. Now they depend on weight and age for the price. Some other places can run you up to $400 for a neuter. So it all depends. These are for just normal everyday no problems snips with regular pre-exams.

Prostate problems can happen if a dog is left intact. It is known to happen. Cancer is a big thing that comes to mind right now. I am sure that others will fill in the blank in here.

Bumpy is only 13 months old. He is yet to fully come into his hormones and mature fully. Because he is not aggressive now, does not make out what he will be at 2 years of age or so. He will change when he is remotely close to a female in season. They have strong senses and can do the impossible to get to her. Your secure area might not be as secure depending how desperate he is. Get another male in the area next to him, and you might have a disaster. You have to weigh what you can deal with and control.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lanabana said:
The vet says it is a necessity as he could have prostate problems later and then it would be a nightmare. Is this true?
Well..prostate problems are common in all intact male dogs, MORE common in older male dobermans than in many other breeds. So it's a definite possibility down the line, not just some remote chance.

Prostate issues can be VERY difficult to treat medically, it's hard to get antibiotics to the prostate. The preferred treatment for it is...neuter. So if he develops prostate problems, you'll be back in the same boat, with an older dog..and dogs tend to produce less von Willebrands factor as they age, so the possibility of clotting issues increases.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
tjmom said:
When we had Titus neutered a little over a year ago it was about $250. He had an undescended testicle and we had extra tests blood work done.

I am really not sure if that price is too much for a neuter as we have not had to deal with a dobie with vWD.
Rush's neuter (also with an undescended testicle) was $650. He's vWD affected, but has never had any kind of clotting issue, and no blood products were needed for the surgery. This was done in the southern CA area, but in a location where vet costs aren't anywhere near what they are in downtown LA.

ANYTIME you go to a specialty practice, you're going to pay a lot. Add a downtown LA location to the equation, and I'm not the least bit surprised by the quote she received.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java's fees ran around $400, including meds (that's in n.central New Jersey). This practice keeps females for three days for observation, so by the time they are released, they have had their meds at a steady rate and are starting to feel a bit better. vWB wasn't a major concern in Java's case, but this practice always has the vets and techs bring their dogs in on days surgeries are scheduled just in case a transfusion is needed.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thank you everyone. I have never owned an unneutered dog so I don't know the normal progression of their behavior. My other two came home from rescue neutered/spayed so that is why all of this is new to me. I don't want to be in a situation where I can't control Bumpy especially since he is over 100lbs - and I do have an older male that I need to protect as well in case a fight ever broke out over a female.
Well, if anyone has an local referrals for me that would be great - anywhere in the Southern California vicinity is fine, I am more than happy to travel to a good vet.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
lanabana said:
Bumpy is 13 months old. I am starting to research the pros and cons of neutering him. The vet says it is a necessity as he could have prostate problems later and then it would be a nightmare. Is this true?
Oh, it's definitely true. The male that I was supposed to breed to this month is currently experiencing prostate problems (he's 6) and I've had to change my mind about breeding to him and choose another dog. I know the owner of the dog I had chosen is being pressured to neuter the dog. He is certainly not the first male Doberman I've heard of with prostate problems - it's fairly common.

Another thing to keep in mind is that prostate problems are often visible because the dog drips blood from their penis. You're really between a rock and a hard place because it seems you've got a clinically affected Doberman with vWD. If you keep him intact due to the vWD, he may bleed more if he acquires prostate problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am just so afraid of losing him in surgery - my boyfriend says that I am overly dramatic and perhaps I am, it just makes me so nervous. It is really a tough decision to make - do I take the chance now to avoid problems later or do I wait and hope he doesn't get problems later......
I guess that I need to go the preventative route and just get the best vet that there is and just be confident in my decision to neuter him. In the meantime I am going to load him up on the chinese herbs that may or may not help, but they certainly won't hurt. Again, thanks for the advice, I needed everyone's knowledge in order to make a rational decision.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I don't know anything about chinese herbs, but I think I would talk to the operating vet before loading him up on anything out of the ordinary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts