Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My wife and I have two 7 year old twin boys. After a long research and education related to dobermans, we came to conclusion to get a doberman puppy. Question is male, or female. My wife wants a "daughter", so pushing for a female. I, for no specific reason, think we should get a male. Any specific facts I should consider when deciding on the gender?

Thanks in advance

·
Got mutt?
13,730 Posts
Well, if not spayed young, bitches have this annoying habit of coming into season. Depending on the contract you have with your breeder, you may have to go through at least one season with her, possibly more. When she's in season, not only can it be messy, you have to be extra vigilant, and make sure that a) she doesn't escape and accidently get bred; and b) that a male dog doesn't get into your yard (or house, depending on how determined he is) and accidently breed her.

I spayed my mutt at 9 months without her having a season, and my GSD at 14 months after going through one. I can say without a doubt that the three weeks she was in season, especially at the most critical breeding time, were nerve wracking. I have an autistic kid who, at the time, had a bad habit of leaving the back door wide open when he was outside, and I'm thinking I owned the only neutered male in a four block area.

Reactions: johnM

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Other than what Rosemary said about heat cycles, and that females tend to be smaller than males, either a male or female will work. Females do have heat cycles, and research is pointing to waiting until the puppy is older before spay/neuter. If you can prevent an accidental litter, it's better to wait to spay. If you can't, then spaying early is still the better option. Some females keep themselves very clean during a cycle, others not so much.

Your breeder should evaluate you and your family, and be able to match a puppy up with your lifestyle. If you're undecided on sex, that leaves you with more choices when it comes time to pick a puppy.

The other thing to remember about Dobermans is that they are prone to same sex aggression, especially the males. So that's a consideration if you're thinking of adding another dog down the line.

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
I agree with River; leave it up to the breeder to pick the most suitable dog for your family.

I think there are personality differences between boys and girls, but there are also a lot of exceptions to this, which is why your best bet is leaving it up to the breeder to find the right dog for you. However, in my experience, boys are sometimes clumsier, goofier and have a harder time focusing (making them a bit more challenging to train), at least until they are mature (with Dobes, this might not be until they are 3 years old). I think females, on the other hand, sometimes decide it's their responsibility to raise and train your children for you, and you might not always like the way a dog trains your children :)

Either way, I would try not to get your heart set on one sex versus the other. Leave yourself more options and leave it up to someone who really knows their puppies :) Just be completely honest with your breeder about your lifestyle and the amount of work you'll be able to put into a puppy so they can make a well-informed decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts