1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I always thought they were a pretty breed but never really wanted one until I started working for a breeder in April of '10, Mabel was born in may and by January she was mine and she sealed the deal on never being without one again.
The personality that her and her extended family showed me just won me over, there's so much character, devotion, and just pure smarts!
Call it Stockholm syndrome but I was immersed in the breed and don't plan on ever looking back :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
I grew up with Dobermans. All the best of my childhood and family memories have a dobe in the backgroud of them :) I always knew I'd have one too, so that my children could have the same awesome memories of family dogs that I did :)

Doesn't hurt that they're absolutely stunning, too!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We wanted a breed other than Rottweilers when we knew we were going to lose our last one. She was a fantastic dog, and it would not have been fair to get another Rottweiler puppy as we would have made too many comparisons to Echo at the time. Not to mention, we had horrible luck health wise with our Rotties, and just needed a break. We'd always thought Dobermans were nice, but weren't really totally set on getting one. But we heard of a rescued male available for adoption that sounded like a great fit for us, and we went to meet him. He was perfect and you couldn't help but love him instantly. And so a couple weeks later, Winston came home. So, it was more an individual dog thing vs. a breed thing, and that is how we ended up with a Doberman. And he was so wonderful, that we decided to buy a Doberman puppy a couple years after (Keira). Then we got Ripley a couple years after Keira, but only because I helped raise the litter and fell in love with him. We weren't at all interested in adding another dog, and thought long and hard about it. But he was red (my favourite), and he was very charming and I bonded with him through his puppyhood and couldn't stand the thought of not having him. So we basically fell into Dobermans and hadn't particularly planned on the breed, even though they were on our short list of breeds to look into. And I am so grateful to Winston that we got to experience this breed, as there are so many fantastic qualities about them that we might not have known had we gone with another breed and Winston had not been available when he was. We've had three now, plus one more short term, and while they are by no means absolutely perfect for me, I have enjoyed them a lot and am glad we have them. Not sure if I'll have more Dobermans after these two or not (as much as I adore them, there are a few traits that they have that are not quite ideal for me - health, potential for DA/SSA, not quite as biddable as I like), but they'll always hold a special place with me.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Due to most likely my parents, and the fact that the only dobes I had seen were behind an 8' fence with "beware of dog" who constantly ran back and forth across the yard barking like hell, I honestly was never interested in the breed! They scared me as a child!

However, when a coworker told me Zeus's story and how he decided to leave his rescued dobe sitting outside 24/7 now, I knew I could be a better home for the poor boy. I met them at petsmart, and as soon as I saw the humongous (rather round) boy pulling as hard as he could on the harness, I was in love!! I could not take my eyes off of him, and after realizing how intelligent he was, I realized I could FINALLY do what I wanted with a dog since I was 6 years old..... train!

Zeus has opened up a new world into the competitive side of dogs (although he may not be too competitive :p ) and I am forever amazed by his sense of humor, closeness and devotion to me, and of course, I still haven't taken my eyes off of him.

My bf has been on and off researching different breeds to potentially add 'to the family', and as soon as I'm starting to justify getting another breed, I realize how ridiculous it is not to just go with another dobe :D No other dog is as appealing to me and suitable to my lifestyle than the doberman.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Did anything, other than the great looks of the Doberman, make you want one to begin with? I read this book and thats what really made me want one, reading about the drive and will these dogs have, not to mention just how beautiful they are.

Max, the Dog That Refused to Die by Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
I loved that book, it was what started me admiring Dobes and dreaming of owning one as a child!!

We got our first Dobe because of their intelligence, natural protection instincs, short hair, no drool, and size. We simply fell in love with their huge personalities and intelligence, and we are happily waiting for our second one. This has defiently become the breed for us!!

·
Got mutt?
13,826 Posts

This dog. Her name was Gin, and she was half Dobe. Gin was a fantastic dog, and I had her for almost 13 years. She had to be put down 8 days before her 15th birthday. After her, and meeting some purebred Dobes, I fell in love with the breed. Some day, I plan on having a Dobe (or possibly another Dobe mix).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Beauty and brains, plus the way she glued herself to my husband the second she saw him at the Doberman rescue. It was impossible not to take her.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have always admired the breed, and had taken in a few of them back when I was younger. One of my favorites was Shadow, a little blue guy. He was the runt of his litter, and sadly died from parvo. Another was Sheba, who would have been a very faithful and protective girl had someone not stolen her from my house. I had taken her in from an abusive situation and someone who knew me saw $$ when he saw her.
One of my personal pets, Loki, was the perfect dober-gentleman. Him and my daughter spent countless hours playing, she would lead him around the back yard and play games with him and he was the most gentle dog she ever spent time with.
What makes me love them so much is their loyalty and dedication to their owners, the intelligence they have and they are simply beautiful to look at.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My grandfather was a drug kingpin of sorts... they had dobermans all over the place. When I was about 6 I ran across the deck and 2 of them hit me. The rule was 'no running' and I'd be fine...

Anyway, despite the attack I've always loved the breed and am happy to have finally talked the wife into letting me have one. :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
ONLY ever wanted a dobe, as my heart-dog.
- for their unreal brain power (easy to train) and their humanized velcro-ness
No other canine breed, foots the bill completely !!
- this I learned from watching the early 1970's movie - "the doberman gang" / love at 1st sight...when I was 15 y/o

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have always admired dobermans as a beautiful breed. I met my first one when I was working at a vet clinic, and I've been hooked ever since. They are the perfect combo of beauty, brains, goofiness, and loyalty. I can't imagine life without them :)

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
Did anything, other than the great looks of the Doberman, make you want one to begin with? I read this book and thats what really made me want one, reading about the drive and will these dogs have, not to mention just how beautiful they are.

Max, the Dog That Refused to Die by Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
When I was 10, my aunt's husband started molesting me.
I told my parents and they did nothing.
['family politics'...I got sacrificed so my aunt wouldn't "be upset"]

So, he just kept on every chance he got and I had no way to defend myself from him.

When I was just shy of 14, I was watching late night TV and one of those "Amazing Dobermans" movies was playing.

I actually prayed to God for one, to protect me from my uncle.

Not even a week later, a stray Doberman showed up in my front yard and nobody claimed him.
[and it's not like we had any around here for it to be just a 'coincidence']

He was an old guy and wouldn't harm a flea but the uncle apparently decided I was no longer 'easy prey' because the dog followed me everywhere.

That first old Dobe saved my life.
A year later, I got another one from a guy going through a divorce and that dog was super smart and protective and eventually, by learning to have courage again, from them both, I started to leave my yard where I'd been "trapped" for so long and walk freely around the woods like I used to, before the uncle thing.
The second wonder dog saved my sanity.
Without those two dogs, I'd probably be long dead.

I've had them ever since and it's not only because I believe they are THE greatest dogs in the world, I owe them more than I can ever repay them.

For about 10 years I ran a one-woman 'rescue' during those dark days when Dobes didn't get adopted and usually wound up killed at the shelters.

My loyalty and love for them is a direct result of their love and loyalty to me.

I'm not sure I picked them so much as they were picked to be with me.

[wherever you are, dear old Caesar, I hope you're running free and happy and may God bless you and keep you until we meet again]

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

So, he just kept on every chance he got and I had no way to defend myself from him.

When I was just shy of 14, I was watching late night TV and one of those "Amazing Dobermans" movies was playing.

Not even a week later, a stray Doberman showed up in my front yard and nobody claimed him.

He was an old guy and wouldn't harm a flea but the uncle apparently decided I was no longer 'easy prey' because the dog followed me everywhere.

A year later, I got another one from a guy going through a divorce and that dog was super smart and protective and eventually, by learning to have courage again, from them both, I started to leave my yard where I'd been "trapped" for so long and walk freely around the woods like I used to, before the uncle thing.

I've had them ever since and it's not only because I believe they are THE greatest dogs in the world, I owe them more than I can ever repay them.

For about 10 years I ran a one-woman 'rescue' during those dark days when Dobes didn't get adopted and usually wound up killed at the shelters.

My loyalty and love for them is a direct result of their love and loyalty to me.

[wherever you are, dear old Caesar, I hope you're running free and happy and may God bless you and keep you until we meet again]

Wow, thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you were saved by these amazing dogs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have never had one. Hoping to soon though. For me it was the intimidating but elegant and gracefull look. My uncle had one when I was around 6 or 7 years old that was just an incredible dog.I spent hours at a time playing with him in the yard. Well that and Magnum P.I.

·
Registered
416 Posts

Thanks for sharing and sorry for what you went through. Glad Dobes were able to help you get through that.

·
Dances With Dobes
1,202 Posts
I have never had one. Hoping to soon though. For me it was the intimidating but elegant and gracefull look. My uncle had one when I was around 6 or 7 years old that was just an incredible dog.I spent hours at a time playing with him in the yard. Well that and Magnum P.I.
There were Dobes on Magnum PI?
I must've missed them.

:D

j/k

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts