Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Being new on this forum I have not yet read all the threads, far from it. I would find interesting what is it that made you choose the Doberman breed as a part of your life, instead of any other dogs?

For I, as long as I can remember, we had dogs at my home. At my parent's place it was always a dog that could stay outside. My mother would not have an animal inside the house. This was in the 60's

The first dog I remember, I was around 5 years old, was a male German Shepherd. He was a good watchdog. Too good for his own good. After a while the mailman, the milkman and the baker stopped coming to our place because he was so fierce. Even my parents friends had problems. He would let anybody walk inside the house, but no one could get out... My dad had to give him away and I remember I was very sad for a long time.

Then many years later, in the 70's We had numerous mixed breed, most of them were Labrador mix with Shepherd. I remember on our street lived a policeman. Back then, almost no one locked their doors at night and crime was very low. Anyway, this policeman had a female doberman. She was fierce and all the kids in the street were scared to death of her. Been use to have chubby mixed breed as dogs, I remember finding this dog very skinny but very elegant.

Then in 1985, me and my wife we bought a motel. The first week we were there we had to call the police because weird things were happening and we had to call the cops to have the responsible out of our place. We wanted to have a nice, clean and family oriented business. We received verbal threats from many of those people. So we were very nervous.

We were thinking of getting a gun for self defense. But a policeman friend told us we should instead get a guard dog. The policeman explanation was, that we will probably hesitate to use a gun in case of emergency, but a guard dog will never hesitate to defend his masters.

Since the dog will have to remain inside with us, we rejected the German Shepherd because of their longer hairs and the poor thing will always be too hot. So we got a female Doberman.

We fell in love with the breed and never looked back since. Our female was so smart. At the motel, most of the time she would just remain quiet when a customer would walk in the lobby. Sometimes she would growl and bark at somebody. We found out very rapidly than when she was acting up, the people responsible were always people giving us problems at the motel. It was not long that we decided to refuse to rent a room to a customer if our dog started to act up when that person walked in the lobby.

Sorry for the long thread.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hello! Being new on this forum I have not yet read all the threads, far from it. I would find interesting what is it that made you choose the Doberman breed as a part of your life, instead of any other dogs?

For I, as long as I can remember, we had dogs at my home. At my parent's place it was always a dog that could stay outside. My mother would not have an animal inside the house. This was in the 60's

We fell in love with the breed and never looked back since. Our female was so smart. At the motel, most of the time she would just remain quiet when a customer would walk in the lobby. Sometimes she would growl and bark at somebody. We found out very rapidly than when she was acting up, the people responsible were always people giving us problems at the motel. It was not long that we decided to refuse to rent a room to a customer if our dog started to act up when that person walked in the lobby.
Interesting story, thank you for sharing.

Until only a decade ago, the situation in Japan was like that. Even I at first refused to remain Elza inside. Already messed by our cat and 8 birds. I didn't understand well at that time how much Doberman loves being with the humans, velcro dog.

Doberman is one and only choice for my husband. He's dreamed of it since his 10 yr.old. He watched the movie, Doberman Gang, and was impressed that dogs can ACT like "showing" aggressiveness. If it was just an aggressive dog, it would end up biting an actor.
So your doberman is super smart and doing his right job:nicejob: Got trained?

She smells something wrong to a suspicious customer!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I saw the "Doberman Gang" movie, as a teenager...it was love at first sight...around 1971.
The brain processing power of the dobe, and the loyality...was the attraction.

After college, got our first girl in 1977, 1 week after getting married.
Our second girl, came in 1980...and one of Amy's litter mates (sister) also went to occupy a motel office in Va...that had 2 breakins, the year before.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Gin. The dog, not the drink. She was a Dobe mix that belonged to my brother and his family, until I got her when she was two. She had been raised outside, on a chain, with hardly any socialization. She was totally untrained, with no manners, skinny, and had demodectic mange to boot when they decided they were getting a divorce. I told them they could fight over the kids, I was taking the dog.

Two months of mange treatment and a lot of training later, she was a much better dog, and lived to be almost 15. She had to be euthanized due to vestibular syndrome 8 days before her birthday, which would have been on Christmas day. Knowing she was half Dobe, I started reading about them, and decided that one day, I wanted have a purebred Doberman. She's been gone for 9 years now, and I still don't have my Dobe, but one day...

Reactions: Fraulein

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Not a thing to do with the Doberman watchdog thingy.

I met a few wonderful dober family dogs at family reunions that were devoted to their family, accepting of strangers, and very smooshable.

Sold me - and I haven't been disappointed!!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I never really started noticing or paying attention to Dobermans until I worked in dog daycares and kennels. I have always been a GSD and Border Collie person. I fell in love with some cropped/docked dobies that I had the pleasure of working with and then I just started diving into online research, up all day and night reading about them and looking at pictures, and signed up to volunteer with a Doberman rescue so I could foster and get experience with Doberman ownership. I've been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Growing up I was very very afraid of dogs after getting bit by a GSD as a child, and being chased by some dogs in the Czech Republic. If I saw even a really small dog walking with his owner I would cross the street or go another way home. But the worst of all was the dobermann. I was afraid of dogs already and they look so scary. Both their look and their movements. As I got older I really got into personal development and did an assessment of myself and things I needed to improve. Among other things being afraid of dogs didn't seem like a useful thing. So I made a goal to study dogs and not be afraid of them. I read a lot of books on dogs and also the dobermann. I met my goal and wasn't afraid of dogs anymore. But then I kept studying the dogs and then I fell in love with them and especially the dobermann.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have always had german shepherds and love the breed but got tired of all the hair. I did foster couple dobermans, older dogs. I have always loved the doberman look and the ones I knew "seemed" in temperament close to the GSD.
Brie, my 1 1/2 years old doberman, is not at all like a GSD, she is a total lovebug and loves all creatures big and small (humans, birds, cats, dogs,...etc). She is quite hyper and stubborn in many things, totally "must touch you a lot" toward her people and all in all a real pistol. I must be honest in saying that I would probably not get another doberman, I would go back to GSD.

·
Frisbee Killer
79 Posts
I fell in love with the Doberman after watching "Magnum PI". I always wanted a Dobe and finally got one when i was 41 years old. I now LOVE the breed even more because Lars is such a great dog. I will rescue a female Dobe as soon as I can convince my wife that two Dobermans and a toy poodle will be great. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts