Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was from a lady: GASP! YOU CROPPED THE EARS! I have 14 (I can`t remember the exact number, but it was in the teens!!) pitbulls and I would NEVER CROP THEM! I was woah that's a lot of dogs. Um I don't care, I have a Doberman, not a Pitbull... EXCUSE ME!

·
In training
1,263 Posts
My best friend, of all people, asked me if I was going to train my doberman to be mean.
:( :( :(
Really?
She really meant mean as in mean and not as in some protection sport as she knows nothing of that sort of thing.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
This darling little girl (3-4 yrs old) with her Mother, "Look Mom it's Alpha. I want to hear him talk in his funny voice."

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was at the vet's office with Bacchus (who has a Sam Grant show crop) and a woman looked at Bach and said "I'm so glad you didn't have his ears cut off, they look so much better natural". I told her he indeed had his ears cropped and she asked "are you sure".
Ha, I've gotten this a couple of times as well. At first, I never responded because I thought it was sarcasm and then I just realized people aren't familiar with show crops.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
So, this wasnt said to me, but to my boyfriend. He was watching Dreizehn while I was in a store and some chick walks by and as she passed him (without stopping) said, "Cutting the ears like that is illegal in Europe." I could not stop laughing when he told me.

For me personally it was a little girl telling me that his brain was going to outgrow his skull and he was going to attack me. It wasn't what I was told but the fact that the girl couldn't have been older than 7.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This darling little girl (3-4 yrs old) with her Mother, "Look Mom it's Alpha. I want to hear him talk in his funny voice."
Hahaha that is actually really cute!!

Reactions: ldr104

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I've had a couple of comments and both have involved Jordan. Last year while at some shows back at the hotel some people came up to me and told me what a nice "Rottweiler" she was! Even if she were a bigger bitch it would be funny, but she is at the low end of the standard, under 25 inches, very petite! What's even funnier, is when they told me they had a Rottie...makes me think that perhaps they had a Dobe! :roflmao:

Also, the teller at the drive-up window of my bank has commented twice now that she is so glad that I didn't "cut" Jordan's ears and that I left them natural - not real sure what she is comparing them to! :)

Jan

·
Registered
165 Posts
Loving this topic. I recently took my 8 yr old rescue to the local flea market. A man approached me and commented on Atty's pointed head, he further went on to say that it was an indication of "Alzheimer's in DOBERMANS" and that I should be very careful, he will probably turn on me. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, 'step back, I don't want to see you hurt when he expoldes"...But just didn't have the heart to do that Atty. He went on to ask me if HE was a SHE...Now come on folks, some things may be missing but there is still plenty remaining to indicate his gender! He was wearing his blanket so perhaps that is what confused the man.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was at the vet's office with Bacchus (who has a Sam Grant show crop) and a woman looked at Bach and said "I'm so glad you didn't have his ears cut off, they look so much better natural". I told her he indeed had his ears cropped and she asked "are you sure".
I get this one from about 10% of people we meet. I also have one neighbor who is completely convinced Roz is not a Doberman and every time we see him he says "It's those long ears, they really give her away. Most people wouldn't catch that, but I can tell she's not purebred." I just smile and say "yes, sir."

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I get that Josie's ears aren't cropped all the time...LOL

I guess it's not that weird, but people tell me Josie is small all the time. She's not at all! I guess people expect dobermans to be giants.

And poor Wyatt...I get all kinds of crazy comments about his ridge. People often think he's angry, as in his ridge is actually raised hackles. Someone one asked me what kind of surgery he had.
This is Wyatt about 10 lbs ago...

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I have a couple to add:

Stranger at a DOG SHOW - Awwwww, how old is your puppy?
Me - Um... 5 years.
Stranger at the dog show - Oh, she is so tiny.
Me - Yep.

Lady at the vet when she hears me tell the woman behind the counter that Fenja is a Doberman - Oh a Doberman? Are you going to crop her ears?
Me at the vet with Fenja (3 years old) - No. It's too late.
Lady at the vet - Is she pure then?
Me - Yes.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts