Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The circimstance is such that i tied the dog down and there are no issues as she will just settle down and wait for me.
Today i tied her down and walked off and after a short while i heard her bark and saw that a large group of children approached her and tried to get close.

Do you think she should be muzzled up to avoid potential issues or is this an appropriate response? I am not sure because i do think that the dog should bark at some point if someone approaches and tries to walk away with the dog but i also think nobody is really going to try this.

I lean towards using a muzzle while she is tied down to protect ourselves from any prosecution.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I avoid leaving my dog unattended out in public. If I have to go to the store or something, I'll make the trip back to my house then go to the store. You don't want this to turn it a situation that the dog reacts negatively. My rule of thumb is usually if I can't bring the dogs with me into the store, then I won't leave them unattended. The only exception is gas, which is rare since I'll just pay at the pump, and going to the bank, which is also rare since I like the drive-thru ATMs

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do agree, i think it's unfortunate as it seems like one shouldn't leave a dobe unattended like this with or without a muzzle no matter how well trained the dog is.
do you have to bring your dog.
In general no, i don't think i owe this dog walks or taking him places. I walk everyday to and from the store, it's about 6 km and sometimes i take the dog on a longer walk total 15 km but this is all in connection to me doing grocery shopping and getting water for the cabin, if i can't leave the dog unattended she will be staying at home and i will be too exhausted to do any additional walking for the dogs sake, so she will have to make due with play on the property. I will be returning the dog to the owners tomorrow and tell them that imo they shouldn't leave the dog unattended and i'll leave it to them.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,896 Posts
My dogs are trained to be tied. However, they would only be tied outside a store or something where I wouldn't be within sight for an absolute emergency. The odds of them being "rescued" or some other bad thing happening are just too high for me to ever be comfortable with it.

I once came out of a park restroom with Ilka and Leo, only to come face-to-face with a city worker telling me that they weren't allowed inside the building. Once I explained that one of them would probably bite anyone that got close enough, and the other one would go with anyone who held her leash, she was a lot more understanding.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,866 Posts
Withdog,

What are the normal customs and laws in Norway for dogs in public at stores, restaurants, etc? Are dominant breeds such as Dobermans required to have muzzles in public? Maybe, that might be reason for some of the reactions to your post by forum members from the US?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Curious... what type of store is it & why can’t u bring him in? Just about all stores will allow dogs in now. Especially if they have a “in training” vest on.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Curious... what type of store is it & why can’t u bring him in? Just about all stores will allow dogs in now. Especially if they have a “in training” vest on.
Just because they don't kick the dog out doesn't mean they're allowed. Public access is not a right for pets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Withdog,

What are the normal customs and laws in Norway for dogs in public at stores, restaurants, etc? Are dominant breeds such as Dobermans required to have muzzles in public? Maybe, that might be reason for some of the reactions to your post by forum members from the US?
It is completely legal to tie the dog down unattended if it is not blocking the entrance to the store or pedestrian traffic. It is also illegal to tie a dog on a playground.

Muzzles are not required lest the specific dog has been mandated wearing a muzzle.

I am not 100% on the law in case of biting whilst tied down but it is my impression that if kids came to pet the dog reasonably tied down and got bit, the dog wouldn't be punished by law as it is regarded as an adequate response to strangers approaching a dog but i am not sure and i think this would be very messy anyway and potentially end badly.

In these case it is up to the owner to put the dog down unlike a case where the dog attacks unprovoked. If the owner refuses to put the dog down then the plaintiff can seek a court order but is unlikely to get it if the dog is properly handled.

what type of store is it & why can’t u bring him in
In general we can't take a dog into a store here lest there is some out of the way place where it can be tied whilst you do your thing.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,896 Posts
Do you mean you are looking for a secluded spot that you can oversee?
I mean that if we are out walking, and I need to tie my shoe or the like, I will hitch them to a sign pole. If we are geocaching, I might tie them to something while I look for the cache. If we are out doing parkour or training, I will tied them to something while I set up the camera, etcetera. I do not want to be where I can't see them if I can help it. And "emergency" would be just that... somebody is bleeding all over the place, there is an accident that they need to be kept out of the way of, stuff like that. Stopping to buy groceries isn't an emergency in my mind, although I have been known to run into a convenience store to buy a bottle of water if we run out on a walk (overheated dogs and/or owner is an emergency, IMO).

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,769 Posts
I guess to me the question is not really whether or not something is legal, but instead whether or not it is a good idea.

I would worry about:
1. The dog's welfare.
Could he get tangled in a leash somehow and hurt himself?
Could he get loose?
Could he get stolen?
Could he get frightened or upset because of some change in his environment or merely because he was left alone on a strange place?
Could the dog overreact in a strange situation (another dog approach/aggressive behavior or a confrontation from a kid or strange adult) and not only get into trouble right then, but also develop a fear/aggressive response that would stick with him so that he was a problem in the future?

2. The public's welfare
Whether or not a particular bite would be considered justified or not because a person (or another dog) went nearer to the dog than he should have, it is still a bite. There may be medical or legal bills you are liable for, and--it is still a bite with all of the distress that causes the other person.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My fears would be them getting stolen, them getting hurt, or hurting another dog or person, and making a noisy ruckus. These add up to never having this situation. It's true many dogs go in and out of shops these days here near Los Angeles, but they usually ride in their own stroller or a shopping cart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whether or not a particular bite would be considered justified or not because a person (or another dog) went nearer to the dog than he should have, it is still a bite.
I do agree, if 1:1000 times a dog bites and i knew it was a possibility then i think one has a responsibility to avoid being THAT dog owner or at least take all possible precaution.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I personally think it is really hard to judge what should be done when the norms and such are totally different from what we are used to here. I know in large parts of Europe, it is not at all uncommon for dogs to be tied outside of stores and such - it is rare here. I also don't know how common dog theft is in Europe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts