Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take Buddy for a walk using the scooter every time he sees another dog or cat he has started up whining his head off very loudly & some times barks.Today out on the scooter a lady had a brindle pit loose in the front yard with her Buddy spotted it acted like an complete crazy dog doing the whining & barking. I have the leash in my left hand right hand on the throttle of the scooter.
I'm worried he will start that and a dog will attack him I think he wants to play but not 100% sure about that since he is a male Doberman neutered at 6 months and he is 14 months old now. I tell him to knock it off but he pays no attention to me.??? He also did that whining at class when we were going to class.Any ideas would be helpful
Thank you for your time.
Patches Mom
Everyone says Dobes want to please their owners Buddy must have missed that part in the Doberman handbook he should have read.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I don't know how to stop this problem, but maybe you can buy a collar like Zohran. ( http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/Annelies_foto/?action=view&current=zaterdag19mei035.jpg ) He where's one simular to the collar at this photo http://www.apport-hondesport.nl/hpbimg/pennenbanden.jpg. Because my dog does like other dogs so much he get focused at them and pratically wouldn't listen anymore, with this collar I only have to pull the line/ rope a few times and then he stop doeing it( because it hurts offcourse). After a while he stoped doeing his behaviour because he knows that I pull the line.

Succes! I hope it works... maybe other suggestions?

Probebly not nessecary to tell but when he doesn't pull himself the collar wouldn't hurt him! Zohran don't have scars or somethink like that!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I think quite a few people on here use that same collar. I think you do need to be safe with that big boy....rather then be sorry. You sure are a trooper!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I think you need more than just a collar. That *might* only mask your issue. You need to train out the issue if that is what you want.

Work on distraction training. Doodle loves other dogs. He would love to play with every dog that we ran into on a walk. That doesn't mean that he can act out. He still has to maintain some manners.

Have you done any training with distractions yet?

You could work with him on his walks by correcting him when he acts out with other dogs. I like to make mine sit while a dog is walking by so they get the idea that they are to behave while the dog goes by while training this. When he behaves with a dog, give him a good treat that he loves and lots of praise. If a dog is in the yard or behind a fence, I pay no attention to the other dogs. If they try to act out, a correction and keep going. Don't give him the time to think twice about it.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Pinch collars are nice but dobe-boys love to play. DD is right - training with distraction is really key. I use the word quit or leave it. If he's still being a bit of a nut, I completely stop, gently grab a hold of his nose, hold onto him, look him straight in the eye and say quit or stop it 3 times. Then its a big Oh OK Mom....
Good luck.

Reactions: Patches Mom

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will also be using a Prong collar when my pup gets big enough. I dont want to use it now because her neck seems a bit too weak and small for it. I hear they work quite well against pulling and what not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The prong collar should certainly help in this situation. When I rescued Harley, DRU referred to it as "power steering" for dogs. While I don't have to use it anymore as Harley and I have now done lots of training together, the prong collar was a lifesaver for me before I proofed and proofed and proofed and proofed his training. Boy it was a lot of work, but that investment in time and energy makes life so much easier now. In the meantime, get ye a prong collar!

Once you have a solid "leave it" command in your repertoire, that's all you'll need to stop the behavior. Then you can sell the prong collar at a yard sale or donate it to your local rescue.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would rather try to train out of it than let him keep being a crazy dog, I was using a pinch collar but he was still pulling on the collar??? Yes I had it tight up around his ears was starting to wear the hair off around his neck. I just recently switched to a Halti or Gentle leader he does not pull as much easier on my hand but I cannot give him a correction with the Gentle Leader.
I have always figured out a way to work with a dog but Buddy is something else. I refuse to do what an older Dobe person told me to do " Need to hang that boy to get his attention" referring to using a choke chain.I'm sure their are better ways than the old ways of training a Dober boy. I just get discouraged at times with him. Thanks for all of your ideas and encouragement from everyone. I know Buddy is not stupid his Mom has her CD and his Dad is CanCh.Int Ch Bell'Lavoros Dio Giove which i have heard is working on his Schutzhund degrees so he cannot be stupid.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Ah - so Buddy is from Shannon Elkins?
Have you discussed his training with her?

Above all, this is a distraction issue - he is not trained enough in the basics to be practicing them at this level of distraction. Rah can do a full novice run through with my trainer in our training facility, but I cannot take him to a park with a baseball game going on and expect the same level of performance from him right now - distractions need to be gradually increased. It doesn't mean Rah or Buddy are stupid - it means they are young and not ready for that level of distraction. Whatever collar you choose to use won't resolve a situation - it will help control him, but a collar is purely a training tool.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
incidentally, gio already has his SchH II handled by dean calderon , who also just took gio over to europe and he is the first american bred doberman to ever get his koerung.

Reactions: Patches Mom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts