Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack is a very well-behaved and well socialized dog but there is another dog in the building who is sort of like a rival of sorts. It seems they just don't like each other. I believe it started around the picnic table which they all think (there is another Aussie Shepherd but he's pretty passive) is their territory, the place they chill beneath it, etc.

Anyway, if they encounter each other in the halls, or if the elevator opens and they're face to face (not necessarily so close) they, both Jack and Casey will bark angrily at one another.

So my question is...what is the ideal way for me to respond to my dog here if I want to keep this under control? I want him to defer to me in these situations, if at all possible;.

·
Registered
35 Posts
every time jack sees casey you need to redirect jack b4 he gets the chance to growl or bark. you need to make eye contact with him everytime he sees casey, in the long run this will help but itll take awhile, itll teach jack that he needs to look at you b4 he acknowledges casey, as for caseys owner should do the same, the humans need to get together working on this together cuz as long as ur just working with jack, casey is still going to growl and bark causing you to not get jacks attention that u need. hope this helps. and are both dogs fixed or unfixed?

·
Got mutt?
13,843 Posts
If you haven't started it yet, work on "leave it". Whatever they are after, food on the floor, a rock, cat poop, another dog. etc., "leave it" means "don't even look at it, because it doesn't exist to you". Then, while you are out, as soon as he sees the other dog, tell him "leave it", and redirect his attention to you. Try not to give him the chance to react to the other dog before redirecting him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts