Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Adult large breed food. You can skip the puppy food, they tend to promote a more rapid growth, which is not good for larger dogs. If you can find a large breed puppy food, that's okay too.

Actual meat should be the first ingredient listed, not meal (chicken meal or other meat meals hide a lot of unfortunate dirty secrets of the pet food industry).

For more specifics, search "Dobermantalk puppy food" in your browser or "puppy food" in the search tool.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
The "best" food is one they like, do well on, and you can afford to feed.

Are you in the US? If so, then this website is a good place to start comparing different brands. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor If you are outside the US, then you might not have access to a lot of the foods listed, and other brands you do have access to won't be listed.

Adult large breed food. You can skip the puppy food, they tend to promote a more rapid growth, which is not good for larger dogs. If you can find a large breed puppy food, that's okay too.

Actual meat should be the first ingredient listed, not meal (chicken meal or other meat meals hide a lot of unfortunate dirty secrets of the pet food industry).

For more specifics, search "Dobermantalk puppy food" in your browser or "puppy food" in the search tool.
Sorry, but what I bolded is not exactly correct. Meat meals are actually more concentrated sources of meat protein than fresh meat (which is mostly water). This is the AAFCO definition of meat meal:

“Meat Meal is the rendered product from mammal tissues, exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices. It shall not contain extraneous materials not provided for by this definition. …. {the definition goes on to include the required mineral specifications and required nutrient guarantees}….. If the product bears a name descriptive of its kind, composition or origin it must correspond thereto.”
The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food

Are there different qualities of meat meal? yes, there are. However, meat meals from a named source (like chicken meal or beef meal) are perfectly acceptable sources of animal protein.

The book Dog Food Logic is a good read, and has made me a lot more comfortable with the recent choices I've made concerning my dogs' food. DOG FOOD LOGIC - MAKING SMART DECISIONS FOR YOUR DOG IN AN AGE OF TOO MANY CHOICES - Dogwise Published Items - Dogwise.com

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
At his age, just be sure to purchase an all life stages food and not a maintenance formula.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feed FROMMs Black and Gold Bag and my boy is doing very good. I also fed it to my last dobie Samantha and she turned out beautiful.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here in the UK I've been using BURNS original puppy food. Khaleesi used to go mad for it and I could even use the kibble as treats. She got diarrhoea after some antibiotics and has since turned her nose up at dry food. We had to give her plain rice and boiled chicken or white fish to essentially "clog her back up" again and it worked a charm :)
We are now going to a raw food supplier today to have a look at some of their meats and pre-made packs for newbies which come in the 8:1:1 ratio for meat:bone: organs. Will update you on how she gets on with her raw food! She is 5 months old and has suffered from staph infections so hoping the prey raw food diet will be more beneficial for her overall health.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Blue Buffalo!
Blue Buffalo doesn't have the best track record. They just settled a lawsuit for 32 million dollars for using by product meats while advertising there were no meat byproducts in their foods.

Plus they had that excess vitamin D problem that was sickening and killing dogs they refused to acknowlege or investigate till an outside lab found the problem for them.

Plus they spend money for advertising on tv, etc that could be going for better quality ingredients.

Plus they had employess lurking at pet stores like Petsmart or Petco, can't remember which now or both, that acted like employees steering people to their Blue Buffalo food.

To me, this all says dirty tactics and they're not to be trusted. If they made a quality food, they wouldn't need to use any of those tactics, imo.

Here in the UK I've been using BURNS original puppy food. Khaleesi used to go mad for it and I could even use the kibble as treats. She got diarrhoea after some antibiotics and has since turned her nose up at dry food. We had to give her plain rice and boiled chicken or white fish to essentially "clog her back up" again and it worked a charm :)
We are now going to a raw food supplier today to have a look at some of their meats and pre-made packs for newbies which come in the 8:1:1 ratio for meat:bone: organs. Will update you on how she gets on with her raw food! She is 5 months old and has suffered from staph infections so hoping the prey raw food diet will be more beneficial for her overall health.
Hope she does well, and she probably will. Raw is awesome for most any dog!

·
Registered
54 Posts
UPDATE First couple of days on the raw food.. she loves it! Her poops are normal and I've never seen her more excited for dinner!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts