·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is so true and what a title really is all about

WHAT IS A TITLE
What Is A Title?
by Sandy Mowery, Wisconsin

Not just a brag, not just a stepping stone to a higher title, not just an adjunct to competitive scores. A Title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a way to honor that dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in the record and in the memory for about as long as anything in this world can remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard, and though the dog himself doesn't know or care that his achievements have been noted, a Title says many things in the world of humans, where such things count.

A Title says your dog was intelligent, and adaptable, and good natured. It says that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy they may have sometimes seemed. And a Title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with him because he was a good dog, and that you believed in him enough to give him yet another chance when he failed, and that in the end your faith was justified.

A Title proves that your dog inspired you to have the special relationship enjoyed by so few, that in the world of disposable creatures, this dog with a Title was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return. And when that dear short life is over, the Title remains as a memorial of the finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend, volumes of praise in one small set of initials before or after the name.

A Title is nothing less than love and respect, given and received, permanently recorded.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I love that! Thanks for posting this!

I think some people get all wrapped up in the title hunt with regards to breeding, and lose sight of how much fun it is to work in a partnership with your dog. I so enjoy the training and trialing that goes along with a great dog. All that time together just strengthens the bond between dog and human....

Rexy, a rescue, is one of the best dogs I ever trained. He deserved to have titles behind his name.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Aww, that's awesome. Honest question, would CGC/TDI be considered a "title" (not for breeding purposes, my dogs are rescues). I like that they have more letters behind their names than I do, makes me proud.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,323 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. This is exactly how I feel about Baron's titles. I have never done anything competitive with any of my other Dobes and this is something I will always cherish with Baron after he is gone. Have to print this out for DH because when we first started with the urging of the trainer we were working with, he thought I was crazy. But, now is my camera man and is as excited as we are about the next step. Also, keep in mind that it is never too late to start as I started doing competitions at 60!

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Aww, that's awesome. Honest question, would CGC/TDI be considered a "title" (not for breeding purposes, my dogs are rescues). I like that they have more letters behind their names than I do, makes me proud.
I'm not sure how they're officially classified but I think they're certifications, not titles. I think of titles as being something earned in a sport in which you train. Kinda like a dog who passes the WAE (Working Aptitude Evaluation) earns a WAC - Working Aptitude Certification, but it's supposed to be an evaluation of the dog and not really a competition you train for.

I love that write-up; it's really touching. I couldn't agree more with the sentiment. Training and working side-by-side with your dog is about honoring them and the value of their life.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
This is so true and what a title really is all about

WHAT IS A TITLE
What Is A Title?
by Sandy Mowery, Wisconsin

---------

And a Title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with him because he was a good dog, and that you believed in him enough to give him yet another chance when he failed, and that in the end your faith was justified.

--------

A Title is nothing less than love and respect, given and received, permanently recorded.
Ilka was dumped at a cemetery as a puppy. If any dog deserves the respect of having a title after her name, she's one of them. She's one of those "when pigs fly" type of dogs, and most people might have given up on her. I've loved all my dogs, but my relationship with Ilka is special, because of all the work we've done together.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
t to me it says volumes and you should be proud.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for posting this. This is exactly how I feel about Baron's titles. I have never done anything competitive with any of my other Dobes and this is something I will always cherish with Baron after he is gone. Have to print this out for DH because when we first started with the urging of the trainer we were working with, he thought I was crazy. But, now is my camera man and is as excited as we are about the next step. Also, keep in mind that it is never too late to start as I started doing competitions at 60!
My husband is my camera man and he loves to go to out of town trials. He likes to see how we do.
I`m no spring chicken either and I loooooooooove what I do.

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
Reactions: monicaei

·
joie de vivre
11,272 Posts
Oh well! Guess we should try something else next. :D
Certifications are still awesome for your dog to earn. There are plenty of people that don't even do that with their dogs even though the dogs are deserving of a CGC or TDI. Especially things like therapy certification. What a way to show how our dogs are not only good members of society (like a CGC shows) but they can be positive contributing members of society and help others as well!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That is wonderful!! When I was in Novice a judge said at his briefing something like "that you come in with your best friend and you leave with your best friend. They didn't write the check for the entry. What happens in the middle happens....its all about having fun"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts