Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking ahead to Elsie's 1 year check-up now, and what I am going to get done then. As a smaller breed, I think she should be done growing by then, so I will be getting some X-rays done to see what sort of shape everything is in before I start any sort of strenuous training. The vet we use is very popular with all of the top agility people in my Island (and thankfully lives a 20 minute walk away from me!), and I am very glad to have her!

What sort of medical check-ups do you get done on your sporting dogs and at what ages?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Chiropractic by a good diagnostic vet(Pamplin Animal Wellness) 2x a year and Glycoflex 2 once she's jumping full height(per vet's instruction).

·
Got mutt?
13,818 Posts
I would do hip x-rays before you do any "serious" jumping. JRTs and other terriers can develop hip problems, believe it or not. The most common is Calve-Legg-Perth, which deforms the femur head. My Lucky has had a bad hip since late puppyhood, and the vet believes CLP is the problem. He hasn't been x-rayed yet, but he's not a sport dog, and is kept comfortable with joint supplements and doggie aspirin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts