Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella (1 year) has been on Canidae ALS since she was a pup and the breeder said to keep her on it. Because of bad gas, skin bumps and flaky coat, I've decided to switch her to a grain free kibble to see if that improves her problems. I would like to know which one is best. I was going to switch to Canidae's grain free food but the sales person said Natural Balance is better. I just got a small bag of Sweet Potatoe & Fish to transition her over. She loves it but before I make a complete switch, I'd like to get some recomendations.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
We like this one best now - $$ though:
Organix product Video: Organix Dog Food - YouTube
Sons & roommates little dogs are on the Organix to...they simply love it.

While using Canidae kibble (several years ago) got rid of dandruff & chin pimples, 5 years ago Amy's diet also includes 2 home cooked meals of meat/veggies&/or rice.
It is our goal, to try and add some longevity and aging quality of health.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Natures variety instinct is the best grain free kibble chase has been on so far. They have a great meat variety, so you can rotate your dogs food.

·
Super Moderator
21,989 Posts
I have fed both Orijen and Nature's Domain (both grain free) and been very pleased with both. I've also used Evo on occasion, and like that one as well.

Reactions: Sage

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
There isn't a "best" one, it's just whatever grain-free your dog does best on that matters.

I personally feed Acana kibble and mix in canned instinct a couple x a week. Youre going to get different answers from everyone. I would read the suggestions and do your own research and choose what seems best to you! :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have done a lot of research and fed several foods and have found Natures Variety Instinct to be the best one so far. It is 70% meat after processing, moisture removed, and that is the highest percentage of meat I have found in a kibble. Not saying there aren't some with more, but I haven't found them. It is particularly good for allergy dogs like my Parker

I also rotate foods and like to have as much of a change in all ingredients as I can, so I particulary like that NVI uses tapioca instead of peas and potatoes which is what most other foods have.

I also use Acana in my rotation. I recently tried Back to Basics, but Parker was sensitive to the flax, dangit. I think Back to Basics is a good enough food with plenty of meat if your dog isn't sensitive to flax and you use it as part of a rotation.

Orijen is another good one.

I have several sites below that will help you in your search if you want to research different foods.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but to those of you who rotate, how often do you change foods? I've been thinking about switching to grain-free too, but not sure which one yet, so thanks OP for starting the thread. I assume the reason for doing this is to make sure that you hit on different food types and also provide a variety?

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
When you rotate foods this is what I did had no problems I fed Taste of the Wild I would use bison a month,then the salmon, lamb Patches & Buddy did not care for the wetlands one. the store where I buy let me trade for one of the bags of food my dogs do like. I think rotating foods works best with staying in the same brand of foods.Just my opinion like some one said feed what works best for your dog evey dog is different. Just stay away from the Old Roy,Pedigree,Beneful,Kibbles & Bits they are the worst foods.Good Luck

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Even the best one might not be the best for your dog. Every dog is different.
Our boys are not picky eaters and will eat anything. We are on Earthborn Holistic Grain Free and rotate between 3 flavors. Luckly it agrees with both of them.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but to those of you who rotate, how often do you change foods? I've been thinking about switching to grain-free too, but not sure which one yet, so thanks OP for starting the thread. I assume the reason for doing this is to make sure that you hit on different food types and also provide a variety?
Whe I was still feeding kibble years ago, I was feeding three medium sized dogs. I was using six or seven different kibbles (different brands, different proteins, different everything), and switched food every time they hit the end of a twenty pound bag and I got another... don't remember how many days this was, but not many. I did no transition, just opened the new bag and fed.

Most of the reason for rotating, I think, is to maintain digestive flexibility. It is neither normal nor natural to eat the same thing for a prolonged period of time, unless you are a panda or a koala or something. Dogs should be able to eat anything and everything... and, they can if you feed them anything and everything! I don't really much believe so many dogs have sensitive digestive systems. I believe that dogs develop inflexibility if they are treated as if switching food is some kind of big, hairy deal.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Reasons to rotate kibbles

My reasons for rotating foods, which I do with each new bag, are to provide an OVERALL good balance of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. To do this I switch brands of kibbles, but not necessarily every bag, every third bag for sure. I rotate proteins for the same reason, but most importantly to help keep Parker from developing any new protein or other food allergies, which would further limit his diet. The la st reason is to provide Parker with taste variety. I also will include various raw meats, canned salmon, sardines, or tripe several times a week. More if I need to get rid of some frozen meat.:) I do have to introduce the new kibble gradually for Parker. I have always had dogs I could just switch cold turkey, but Parker is not one of them. I believe, if you read the second link I have below, it gives the reasons to rotate foods. The reasons can be different for different people. That link also will educate you on how to read and interpret dog food ingredient labels and how to select a good kibble.

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank-you for all the suggestions! I've read up on all the different brands and it's sure a hard decision but it's got to be up to Bella! I really can't afford the Orijen plus it's high in protein. Unfortunately I work so she's indoors all day and not real active. She gets to run in my big yard before I leave for work and several times after I get home.
Yesterday she had real bad gas on the NB but I guess that's to be expected when changing foods. This morning she's not interested in eating. I didn't see good ratings on NB so I will try and find Acana or Natures Instinct. I hope I can find something soon!

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you rotate foods this is what I did had no problems I fed Taste of the Wild I would use bison a month,then the salmon, lamb Patches & Buddy did not care for the wetlands one. the store where I buy let me trade for one of the bags of food my dogs do like. I think rotating foods works best with staying in the same brand of foods.Just my opinion like some one said feed what works best for your dog evey dog is different. Just stay away from the Old Roy,Pedigree,Beneful,Kibbles & Bits they are the worst foods.Good Luck
I wouldn't buy any grocery store food mentioned above! I want Bella to have quality food. I might try TOTW Thanks

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
I'm going to try out Great Life Chicken Grain Free for Mariah. It has one of the lowest copper contents I can find 7.79mg/kg. This will be much easier on her liver. I have used Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato (copper 11mg/kg) and she's ready for a change. Check it out.

Premium Dog Food- Natural Pet Dog Foods- Grain Free Food

Tracy and Mariah

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone used Bravo raw diet? I got a sample of their lamb and she loved it and no problems with gas! So I'm thinking of getting 2 flavors-maybe 1 chicken and 1 beef. The lamb only come in small chubs. What are you thoughts of mixing it with a good kibble like Acana or Natures Instinct?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Thank-you for all the suggestions! I've read up on all the different brands and it's sure a hard decision but it's got to be up to Bella! I really can't afford the Orijen plus it's high in protein. Unfortunately I work so she's indoors all day and not real active. She gets to run in my big yard before I leave for work and several times after I get home.
Yesterday she had real bad gas on the NB but I guess that's to be expected when changing foods. This morning she's not interested in eating. I didn't see good ratings on NB so I will try and find Acana or Natures Instinct. I hope I can find something soon!

I had my dogs on Orijen and all were doing great except my Dobe. He was urinating excessively and a LOT. He would constantly have accidents indoors and that is not like him at all. Did a bunch of tests at the vet but couldn't really pin point the issue so she told me me try switching his food since his ph was off. I switched to Acana since it's in the same champion pet food family and it's less protein, it did the trick! Prime does great on it and is back to normal pees.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Feeding Bravo raw would be an excellent move, imo. Whether as an addition to your kibble or a complete meal. Bravo only uses domestic sources of responsibly raised meats according to Whole Dog Journal.:) They also recommend Bravo freeze dried meat treats. On another note, I think at first you mentioned, bumps, flakey skin and yeasty ears, all of which can be food allergy related. Does she lick her feet a lot? If you have trouble, you might try dropping chicken as it is a common allergen.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I second the Acana recommendation! I love it so much I just ranted on a new thread about it, haha but yes Acana or Orijen seem to be local favorites

·
Beautiful Girl
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Feeding Bravo raw would be an excellent move, imo. Whether as an addition to your kibble or a complete meal. Bravo only uses domestic sources of responsibly raised meats according to Whole Dog Journal.:) They also recommend Bravo freeze dried meat treats. On another note, I think at first you mentioned, bumps, flakey skin and yeasty ears, all of which can be food allergy related. Does she lick her feet a lot? If you have trouble, you might try dropping chicken as it is a common allergen.
She doesn't chew on herself or lick her feet at all. I've heard many friends say that their dogs are allergic to chicken so I'm going to watch her when I give her some. I asked the store that I'm buying the Bravo from and they said she doesn't need any kibble. After reading other postings, many owners do feed their dogs both. I'll give Acana a try.

One thing I notice since she's been on the raw is that she pees more but doesn't drink as much water as she did with the Candidae! Weird?! :rolleyesww:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts