Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when meeting new dogs, after some butt sniffin, Guinness will hold his head high and put his chest against the strange dog's front shoulder. if the other dog moves a bit, he will move with the dog keeping his chest pressed against the shoulder of the other dog. this is perpendicular to the other dog. forming a "T". typically the other dog will spin and try to move away some. at this point Guinness will play bow and bark and run in a circle. if the other dog is indifferent, Guinness will stand against them like that for a few moments and then either walk off or play bow and bark and run around.

thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,294 Posts
If he puts his head over the other dog's back/shoulders as he does this, he is attempting to show his dominance over the other dog. That can be a problem because, as dogs mature especially, they often object to this kind of maneuver from another dog, and you could have a fight or scuffle on your hands. The other dog moving away is generally his sign that he does not want to challenge your dog. Likewise, the play bow can be a "cut-off" or calming move, designed to let the other dog know that the challenge is resolved and normal activity can resume.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
He's being a polite jerk :) which could escalate to a big jerk and dog fights. And it's a recipe for disaster. I'd work on it ASAP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as for working on it-do i just call him off? tell him no(he has a crystal clear understanding of "no")? completely remove him from situation?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
This would be the human equivalent of me walking up to you, getting right in your face, and saying "hey, i'm all up in your business. what are you gonna do about it?" Some people may back down, but one day you'll get that person that slugs you in the face. It's not something I would allow, especially with strange dogs.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I don't use the word "no". To me, this isn't a training command :) I teach "drop it", "leave it", "easy" etc...

If he doesn't respond to a "leave it" or "settle" command, then I would remove him from the situation. If a dog acts like a jerk, all the fun stops.

as for working on it-do i just call him off? tell
him no(he has a crystal clear understanding of "no")? completely remove him from situation?

·
Alpha Male
43 Posts
uh oh

A couple of days ago i was at the dog park with hades and a German Shepard did that to a 110 lbs american bull dog that was not neutered( bad idea). Well long story short the German Shepard ended up bloody. I would work on that kind of behavior. :nicejob:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Definitely work on stopping that...if he does that to the wrong dog you will have a fight on your hands. Gunner is allowed to play with other dogs but the second he starts to act dominant, I pull him aside and he goes into what is essentially a dog time-out. Like someone else said, if he acts like a jerk to the other dogs, all fun stops. Do some research on dog body language and that will help. Dogs generally start with small signals that they are about to challenge another one...if you can learn to read him before he gets to that point, you can intervene sooner.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Definitely work on stopping that...if he does that to the wrong dog you will have a fight on your hands. Gunner is allowed to play with other dogs but the second he starts to act dominant, I pull him aside and he goes into what is essentially a dog time-out. Like someone else said, if he acts like a jerk to the other dogs, all fun stops. Do some research on dog body language and that will help. Dogs generally start with small signals that they are about to challenge another one...if you can learn to read him before he gets to that point, you can intervene sooner.
Body language is very important to know. I think many people don't realize how powerful it is. I can excite my dog, calm her down, get her ready to play, work her into a frenzy, etc. simply by my posture and the way I stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts