Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are taking a sabatical in our search after our disappointing experience with a rescue group. While we regroup, I thought of some questions for Dobie owners. I want to make sure we're as prepared as possible for our new addition.

So, what do you wish you'd know about Dobies before you got one?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I was pretty adequately prepared...However, I knew dobes were 'velcro' but I had no idea how much! Josie is 70lbs and is literally on top of me every chance she gets. I wake up sweating because she has half her body on me! Wouldn't change it for anything though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
hahaahaha omg! so true!

Though I discovered that Bentley doesnt digest fish well and it was fish kibble that was giving him toxic farts. Once I switched to chicken, the farting has almost completely gone away.
but they were extremely toxic, to the point where we had to vacate rooms and sometimes, even open all the windows, and have a fan blowing the stench outside, while we went out for a walk.

Also, be prepared for the biggest bed/couch hog ever, that loves to lay on top of you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, that brings up a good question. Do you let your dogs on the furniture? We used to until we got the new couch. After two destroyed couches in 4 years, we made a no dogs on the couch rule.

They're allowed in the bed for snuggles and cuddles, but they don't sleep with us in it at night. They sleep in our room on/in their own beds.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Oh, that brings up a good question. Do you let your dogs on the furniture? We used to until we got the new couch. After two destroyed couches in 4 years, we made a no dogs on the couch rule.

They're allowed in the bed for snuggles and cuddles, but they don't sleep with us in it at night. They sleep in our room on/in their own beds.
They can get on the couch.... but they are not left alone outside of the crate until we are sure they will not destroy anything. We will not take any chances with obstructions. So we start leaving one alone for 15 seconds at a time and then work up from there. Huck my boy can be left for hours alone free in the house but Chloe....we have only work up to about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Yes on the couch....

On occasion we get to use the couch...

Yep, he shares the bed with me, when I behave...

And, they use their own beds on occasion

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
That such a huge number of them will die from DCM. Dispite losing my heart dog in August, at only 4 years 9 months old from the disease, and saying that I'd never ever get another doberman, I lied. They are simply the best breed there is. I will have a dobe until I go to the nursing home LOL

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,621 Posts
That I would never again have any privacy at all. I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in 3 years as Coco must always be with me.

I also didn't know that dobes smile. The first time Coco did it to me I thought she was snarling at me lol! I love it and am greeted to smiles every time I return home. :butfly:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm starting to wonder if Rudy was part Doberman! It sounds like my old man prepared me well for what I will soon encounter. If he didn't come in the bathroom with me, he stayed outside the door, guarding it.

I sure do miss him. It's weird not having a shadow anymore.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just how pushy and obsessive they can be about being touched/petted. Mine would be happy if somebody would pet them 24/7. And Ripley is a little pathetic about trying to sneakily rub his foot or face on you (or another dog) to "self pet", as we call it. If he's near you and your foot is sticking out off the couch or your arm is within reach, he'll likely start rubbing his head gently on you. I find it a little overly needy and annoying, personally. I tell him to knock it off and go away. I don't mind petting dogs, but there comes a point when you've just had enough... and there just doesn't seem to be enough in a Dobermans mind, haha.

Other than that, I didn't realize just how determined and unfocused and intense and loud they could be as youngsters. I have a lot of dog experience (for my age) but the Dobes tried my patience a lot when they were younger. Keira still does, actually. If you give her an inch, she will take a hundred miles. If she doesn't follow a strict NILIF and a "you won't get anything until you are quiet and relaxed" program, she's really irritating to try and live with. But at the same time, she's the sweetest girl and that intensity that she has is also a good thing in other situations.

With that said though, I love my dogs. I wouldn't trade them for the world. Those just happen to be the things that surprised me when compared to all of the other dogs we've had.

And also, we didn't choose Dobermans either. So a lot of their quirks we really didn't know about until we lived with them. We adopted an older rescue, developed a friendship with a breeder (who was involved in rescuing him), and next thing you know, we had a puppy. And then were silly enough to fall in love with and take home another a year and a bit later, even after the nightmare of a puppyhood that was Keira, LOL.

Reactions: Lori Z and MeganUK

·
Registered
337 Posts
That I would never again have any privacy at all. I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in 3 years as Coco must always be with me.

I also didn't know that dobes smile. The first time Coco did it to me I thought she was snarling at me lol! I love it and am greeted to smiles every time I return home. :butfly:
Axel's smiles surprised me, too. I also thought he was snarling the first time I saw him smile. Now I just love when he smiles at me!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Just how pushy and obsessive they can be about being touched/petted. Mine would be happy if somebody would pet them 24/7. And Ripley is a little pathetic about trying to sneakily rub his foot or face on you (or another dog) to "self pet", as we call it. If he's near you and your foot is sticking out off the couch or your arm is within reach, he'll likely start rubbing his head gently on you. I find it a little overly needy and annoying, personally. I tell him to knock it off and go away. I don't mind petting dogs, but there comes a point when you've just had enough... and there just doesn't seem to be enough in a Dobermans mind, haha.
Hilarious! Josie does the exact same thing.
Also, if I'm sitting down, you can guarantee her head is in my lap.

·
Registered
595 Posts
All of the above. I have had three Dobies, and they did all of the above. I never knew how much in love with them I would become. How much they became a part of my world. How much it would hurt when they leave. I cannot even consider another breed, its a doberman for us hands down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts