Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend to use cleaning the ear flaps between postings? Do you use hydrogen peroxide, just water, a certain cleanser-if so, which one? I have read all of the super helpful posts regarding the ear postings and read that people "clean the ears." What product are you referring to? Any plus or minus about a certain product versus another? ... As always, Thank you!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I use a solution of alcohol and white vinegar. Definitely don't use plain water....if it gets into the ear it can cause an infection.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
We had an ear cleaning solution that I put on a gauze pad and swiped the inside of the ear, and then used q-tips to clean the spots the gauze missed, then let them dry out real well before reposting to avoid trapping moisture in the ear.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My breeder and I just used a q-tip during posting.

Since then I use ear cleaning pads from PetSmart once a week or so (actually, I got them cheap at Marshalls but PetSmart also sells them). There is no reason for using one and then the other, I just found the pads well after posting was done.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I suggest using a half white vinegar and half water solution for cleaning ears throughout your pups lifetime. It will help prevent yeast infections and does no tissue damage. I use a cotton pad with the solution on it to wipe out ears. I wouldnt use peroxide or alcohol as they sting very badly and cause tissue damage at the cellular level.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I suggest using a half white vinegar and half water solution for cleaning ears throughout your pups lifetime. It will help prevent yeast infections and does no tissue damage. I use a cotton pad with the solution on it to wipe out ears. I wouldnt use peroxide or alcohol as they sting very badly and cause tissue damage at the cellular level.
Yeah I was thinking alcohol- ouch. I could maybe see using a little on healed ears to get glue or something off but not as an antiseptic- so many other things out there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I used the pads from PetSmart as well - mostly because I was lazy and they were pre-moistened :) But, they were easy to use, we still use them now.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Vetericyn VF on a gauze sponge. Allow to dry thoroughly. I allow a full half hour after cleaning before I repost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts