Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Both pits are sore and appear to be itchy, one more than the other.

At first (some weeks ago) I thought this was just dust in Toby's coat but after a bath it was still there and is getting worse in my opinion and appears to be more like very dry skin under a very thin coat.

I have an appointment with the Vets for Wednesday, (earliest I could get as it is Fiesta time and they are closed tomorrow) as I am just not happy with how he is looking. In himself he is fine, happy go lucky, no mood changes, well not with us at least, though he is grumpy with Russell, then again he is always grumpy at/with Russell so I guess there is no change there really either.
This wont be the first time I have taken him to the vet with a skin problem, the last time being just a few weeks ago. The vet said she thought it was an allergy to something, grass seeds, food related, and advised I give him a bath in medicated shampoo, did that and give him a course of tablets which turned out to be steroids. She also gave him an antihistamine jab. Initially the redness under his pits seemed to calm down but is now back with a vengeance. The dry skin if I am truthful has never really improved. It does disappear for a day or two if I bathe him, but I cant keep doing that as I risk washing out what oil his skin has in it out.

Now I could just go down to the vets again and let her stick him with another antihistamine, give me more tablets but I cannot help but feel I should be able to ask her more pointed questions other than 'what do you think this is'.

Do you guys have any suggestions what it could be, so I can ask the vet on Wednesday if she can test for it. Do you think it could be his Thyroid? When I last said this to her she said he wasnt fat, he wasnt slow, he wasnt showing signs of typical thyroid problem. But if I have learnt anything since my time on this forum I have come to realise there are more signs to Thyroid trouble than just the ones my Vet keeps spouting.

In the meantime what can I do for Toby to make him more comfortable.

It is hot here and very dry, of course this problem could be due to this, but I cannot leave him to feel so uncomfortable or look so scabby for want of a better word, so any ideas what I can do in the interim would be appreciated. :thanx:

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
Kip has major allergies to house mites and people dander (poor baby) and his symptoms started at around 2-3 years of age with rashes in his groin and armpits, a bit of scratching but not really much, and a generally thinning coat, particularly bad on his back.

See picture which shows (hopefully) his thin hair (soon after it started to show up).

We eventually went the whole routine with a dermatologist, allergy shots, etc.; he is improved, but is by no means back to normal. I did learn though, that you can use people antihistamines for dogs--ask your vet if he has a recommendation for one of them or if there is a particular reason he feels he needs to use a shot. Generally a dog the size of a doberman gets about twice as much as is recommended for an adult person, but I don't know what is available to you so that is definitely a question for your vet.

If it is an allergy, perhaps it will be a seasonal one which will only bother him for a month or two at a time.........here's hoping!!

I don't think I'd use steroids without a definite diagnosis--but steroids scare me. And I'm not a vet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The testing at the vet is the way to get the answer.
How is your humidity? With your heat it may be the heat. Hot and Dry and itchy=no fun. All of the heat may just be drying him out. Do you add any oil (fish oil, olive, etc) to his food?
His pits look like what happens with Magnum in the late spring. He has an allergy to something in Mom's yard. Benadryl (sp?) fixes him up fairly well.

Wipe him down with some Tea Tree oil?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The vet took a scraping the last time Toby was in for his skin and she said he didnt have mange. It is the 'lets give this a go' attitude I am worried about. The Steroids were not to my liking, but neither is his suffering with the dry skin, red armpits so I gave them a go. Thing is they didnt cure it, yes they seemed to slow it down, make it less noticeable but I was hoping for a cure.
He did improve (although it was winter time) when he was being fed raw, however, the daft thing didnt chew his food and got a bit of an upset tummy, luckily he didnt have a blockage. My vet is totally anti raw foods, ie meat and bones, so after he put the fear of god into me about how he reckoned Toby was a candidate for one I put Toby back on biscuits and tinned dog meat which may or may not be the problem. The rash as I will call it has been getting worse since the summer hit. But could this be simply a coincidence or could it be linked.
During the winter it was not noticeable.
His coat is very thin in places, on his legs, shoulders, under his tummy. His skin is dry and flaky but it is hard to get any to come off so I can take some down for a sample. (Toby doesnt like the vet messing with him due to his reactiveness so I do as much as I can). His armpits have sores which he is licking and making worse.
I know I am in for a long haul here, one that is probably going to break the bank big time.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Was he itching before the steriods? A lot of times allergy dogs will develop yeast under the arm pits, between the toes, in the ears and all over the body when it is out of control. I suppose yeast could make those places, but I have never seen any that bad. I use sardines for Parker to keep his skin healthy.

Read this: Sardines :: A Super Hero FOOD FOR DOGS by Diane Jansey
Old thread with a info and other peoples experiences: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/58536-sardines-good-allergies.html

I really can't say enough good about sardines. I give a can a day of water packed sardines when the Parker is in bad shape. Crack can and drain, rinse drain and rinse drain. He weighs 82 lbs. Once the itching is more under control for a week or two and the skin has had a chance to build up, I reduce it to a half a can a day. It your dogs water consumption increases, you might have to go to one sardine or two every other day.

I also tried cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil, but didn't have any noticeable difference that I could tell, but he was doing well on the sardines anyway. But some people have more luck with coconut oil. Guess it depends on the dog. Here it is about the same amount of money for either one.

Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

I wouldn't keep giving steriods or antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The testing at the vet is the way to get the answer.
How is your humidity? With your heat it may be the heat. Hot and Dry and itchy=no fun. All of the heat may just be drying him out. Do you add any oil (fish oil, olive, etc) to his food?
His pits look like what happens with Magnum in the late spring. He has an allergy to something in Mom's yard. Benadryl (sp?) fixes him up fairly well.

Wipe him down with some Tea Tree oil?
I feed him our home produced organic olive oil, which he loves on his food.

For the most part it is a dry heat we have here, though the weather often states we have 20% or a bit more humidity in the air I can't feel it.

We can't get Benadryl, it is not licenced here, we can get Claritin, but my Pharmacist doesnt know if dogs can have it. I will ask the vet on Wednesday what she suggests, probably what they sell at 3 times the price.

·
Super Moderator
26,450 Posts
Dogs can take benedryl OR chlortrimeton OR claritin, OR zyrtec all at about twice human frequencies. You could also combine the benedryl with one of the others if you could get it. Kip's recommended claritin dosage 10 mg tablets--1 to 1.5 orally 2 times a day BUT I don't know if that would be the correct dosage for every dog his size, or if there is anything which would make a vet use a lower dose.

Apparently dogs' reactions to antihistamines are idiosyncratic--what works for one dog may not work for another, and vice versa. Our doggy dermatologist recommended trying each one for about 2 weeks at a time until you find something you are satisfied with.

The vet also gave me a longish list of environmental changes a person can make if they suspect or have identified an allergy to things like mites, or molds, or pollens. If you think you might have a good idea what is going on there, I can type in the applicable ones for you.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
It's also worth trying a switch to white meats (chicken, turkey, fish) ie a red meat free diet. It was something some old skool breeders suggested to me when my first dobe had terrible summer grass contact allergy and it made more of a difference than the steriod shots the vet tried. Whilst Sebolayse type shampoo is probably the best when bathing...I'd also try to avoid baths altogether and just do a wipe down with a tea tree solution, or lavender oil. (chamomile oil might help on the itchy area itself)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
The vet also gave me a longish list of environmental changes a person can make if they suspect or have identified an allergy to things like mites, or molds, or pollens. If you think you might have a good idea what is going on there, I can type in the applicable ones for you.
I have Stormy's allergens identified and I wouldn't mind having a peek at that!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've shared this before, and it's worth sharing again. I've used Apinol for years on pets and people alike. Dogs (most all) won't lick it. It's been around for more than 100 years. I promise you, it is worth a try!

Apinol, Natures healing power, first aid antiseptic

Edited to add... as something to use to ease the itch and dry skin. I would still do testing to find out what's causing Toby's reactions.

·
Super Moderator
26,450 Posts
These are all environmental allergens

HOUSE DUST

Keep dog out of room when cleaning/vacuuming for several hours

HOUSE DUST MITE

Use plastic zippered cover over dog bed, plastic mattress/pillow covers on human bed
Wash bedding in hot water (>70C)
Avoid letting dog sleep on overstuffed furniture
Avoid stuffed toys
Keep dog overnight or during working hours in uncarpeted rooms
Frequently damp mop the dog's "holding room"
Run air conditioner during hot and humid weather

MOLDS

Warm, humid and damp conditions allow fungal spores to proliferate rapidly
Keep dog out of damp basements
Keep dog away from barns
Keep dog away while lawn is mowed
Avoid dusty dog foods
Clean and disinfect humidifiers
Use air conditioners
Avoid having large numbers of houseplants
Avoid making dog's "holding room" a room with a high moisture level (bathroom, laundry room)
Keep dog out of crawl spaces under house
Use dehumidifiers
Clean with bleach solutions

POLLENS

Keep dog out of fields
Keep grass cut short
Rinse dog off after periods in high grasses/weeds
Keep dog indoors at dusk and early morning during heavy pollen season
Use air conditioners
Keep dog away while mowing lawn

TOBACCO

Avoid tobacco smoke
After smoking, wash hands before touching pet

I have a bit more for specific funguses--habitat, possible areas of exposure for pet--way too much to type, but if anyone wants to know about a specific fungus allergen, it might be on the list.

Kip reacts to penicillin molds, for example---
Very common indoor/outdoor fungi. Higher outdoor levels in tropical and subtropical areas. High levels indoor.
May have high levels in most rooms indoors but concentrated in basements or any damp area where fungi can colonize on foods, clothing leather and paper.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Okay, the shots seemed to have worked then........since I didn't do all of that....and don't even know if I could.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts