Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE the look of this Doberman, cropped with an all natural tail. :)

Kinda the best of both worlds, a dog that still has that don't mess with me look. And a tail that will help with balance!

What do you think?

BRISKA`S CEASR OB - YouTube

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think he has quite a nice tail :) I like the straighter ones, rather than the ones which curl and curl like a corkscrew! I think the dobe tail will get nicer and nicer as time goes on in countries where docking is made illegal.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amelia, my little puppy has a pretty nice tail. It's hangs straight much of the time, and when she gets excited it does come up but not right around.

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Got mutt?
13,825 Posts
He certainly is different looking. I think I agree with Patchwork though, in that I don't particularly like it. Maybe it's because we are used to seeing a docked/uncropped dog, as opposed to undocked/cropped? For me, if you're not going to dock a dog that is normally docked/cropped, why bother doing the ears? We're used to some breeds being cropped, but not docked (Great Danes and Pits, for example), but when we see that in a breed that is normally docked, it seems kind of weird.

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Wow I have never seen that before! It is actually kind of cute! But I much prefer a cropped docked Dobe. I love seeing those ears perk up so noble-like and that little stub waggling! None of my friends know this breed so I have to call Dobes "those Egyptian looking dogs"!

Reactions: Okie-dobie

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just dont like how undocked tails on dobes look. Too much curl.
I agree with Amelia that as time goes on they should get better and better though.

Is there a preference on undocked tails? Will they ever hang low like a lab? Or will they have to always be atleast straight up? (like a beagle) or do they prefer the curl?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I just dont like how undocked tails on dobes look. Too much curl.
I agree with Amelia that as time goes on they should get better and better though.

Is there a preference on undocked tails? Will they ever hang low like a lab? Or will they have to always be atleast straight up? (like a beagle) or do they prefer the curl?
To be honest, I dont think anyone has decided yet! :roflmao: I think almost everyone is unanimous that they dont like the really curly ones which lie over the dogs back. Some people say its due to a gay tail set, but I dont really know enough about conformation to say either way. The breed standard is quite sympathetic to the fact that the ban on docking is fairly recent, so it is pretty open to interpretation and personal preference. As the years go on, I think the breed standard will become more clear.

I like my boys tail; its not too long or too curly in my opinion, athough if I had a choice it would be a little straighter and smaller. I like the manchester tail! The tail looked really strange to me at first, but now when I see dogs with docked tails I feel they look almost incomplete! :p

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like the look of Dobes with tails, I just find them really inconvenient... they knock things over, whack your legs, and always getting happy tail injuries! I like that both our girls are docked :) It would be hard for me to let a dog into my home that had a tail, haha.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I think he has quite a nice tail :) I like the straighter ones, rather than the ones which curl and curl like a corkscrew! I think the dobe tail will get nicer and nicer as time goes on in countries where docking is made illegal.
I love the curly tails--your boy has my ideal tail, just about!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't think I could ever get used to seeing that. Idk why but at first it looked like a dragon to me. Then again it really looks like a Beauceron with a shorter coat...and I hate the look of a Beauceron.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree with Cathy43 kinda looks like a pharoh hound. I like his tail as its not as curly as some that I have seen. I think he is still a good looking dog.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't like it. It just looks off to me. I like Dobermans two ways: cropped and docked or completely natural. I don't mind floppy ears with a docked tail, but prefer a floppy dog to have a tail. Can't say the same about the dog with a tail and cropped ears... just not a fan at all.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts