Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Kong because I thought it is a good idea.
But honestly, I am a bit of a loss what to put in there. I tried potatoes and sour cream and other soft stuff and it was a mess to clean up the Kong afterwards. When I bought it, there were these hard sticks coming with it, but I found that idea too strange, anyway, I prefer fresh and home cooked stuff anyway.
So what are your favorite stuffing ingredients?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I break small pieces of milkbone dog biscuts to fill the very tip of the kong. (just a few broken pieces to keep the mushier stuff out of it) I mash bananas and then mix in peanut butter and freeze. Occassionally I cut small pieces of either carrots or apples and mix in also. I have done cream cheese with PB also. I prefer to freeze. It takes them a little longer to finish it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Only things I've tried so far are peanut butter (and freeze it, as Koa mentioned) and a combo of kibble and cheese - takes him hours the way I pack it. I nuke the cheese, put it in there soft (and warm) then press a layer of kibble into it, then continue to layer it all the way to the top, then I put it in the fridge just to solidify this cheese-glue that binds it all together. Jack loves it!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use apple sauce peanut butter some times some can food smash it together in a ziplock bag. Then cut the corner of the bag and use it as a piping bag and fill kongs like an assembly line lol.

Reactions: Sherryh and Violet

·
Registered
523 Posts
I stuff mine with peanut butter, yogurt, chopped carrots, banana, sardines, apple sauce, sometimes some kibble.......pretty much whatever I have that works. I try to vary it day to day to keep things interesting for them.

·
Premium Member
10,132 Posts
we run ours through the dishwasher to clean and they come out perfect like new.
You beat me to it CH4Sure...I don't give my dogs food between meals so thier Kongs are never stuffed but I worked for awhile in a boarding kennel and there were always people who brought in a supply of stuffed, frozen Kongs for their dogs. I'd give them out during the day and collect them in the afternoon along with dishes from puppy feeding and dogs on special diets and put everything in the kennel dishwasher. That works like a charm.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Jonesy's favorite combo I think so far... Just because he loves the following

Tuna
Peanut Butter
Coconut Oil
Cottage Cheese
**Freeze**

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I chop up little bits of carrots and mix it in with watered down yogurt and freeze. I water it down because yogurt is still soft when frozen, so it solidifies more. Still takes Chase only 20minutes to lick the kong clean. So I now use Tug-A-Jug which takes him roughly 40-60 minutes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Applesauce
Peanut butter
Yogurt
Pure Pumpkin
Tripe
cottage cheese
cream cheese
cheese
chicken broth (outside use only) plug it with peanut butter

I always freeze and mix and match certain things!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I love this thread thanks for the foods listed....my girl loves any fruit or veggies so I would add celery cut up, carrots, cucumber. Oranges, bananas, dried fruit.Make sure its the safe foods .........:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Peanut butter
Cottage cheese
Pumpkin purée

I also mix in some type of chunky treat that I have around. The dishwasher works great. It says on the website that it is dishwasher safe but you really need to dig to find it. I wish that they would put it on the packaging.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts