Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm on the fence with this one, our breeder fed Purina Pro Plan, which we have been giving because she is used to it, but to be honest, I have never cared for anything made by Purina, ever. I fed my old dog Science diet before it became so mainstream and she lived to be 17 but now when I look at the ingredients on the bag, I think they might have changed them over the years because back in the day it seemed to be one of the best foods out there but now when you look at the labels it doesn't seem to be any better than Purina and the Pro plan actually looks better ingredient wise. However, when I google dog food reviews the pro plan is getting a 1 star rating which is a bit alarming to me. I want to give this pup the best nutritionally balanced diet I can and I don't know if I am just overthinking this or not. Today we met with someone who was VERY knowledgable about canine nutrition and they gave us some choices which included Sojos, which is a freeze-dried raw food diet, they gave us a sample and I mixed it up but it looks disgusting, nothing I would ever consider doing, I didn't even give it to her to see if she liked it. then they reccomended EVO which looks good but its VERY expensive, its like $70 a bag and I have four dogs and I want to switch them all to the same food and I'm not sure I want to spend $140 a month if not more on that brand, then I saw costco started selling Natures Domain Salmon and sweet potatoe food which rated high in the independent reviews but I've never had a dog on a fish based diet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. We just want to get the right food for her and with all the pre-dispositions (health wise) to this breed, we don't want to make the wrong choice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Personally, I feed Taste of the Wild. It's high quality but not too terribly expensive. I go through a 15 pound bag about once a week or so and it's about 28.00 a bag. Gunner loves it, his stools are firm, and his coat is glossy and very healthy.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Fish-based diets tend to do wonders for a dog's coat. The Costco food is great for the price. I feed my boy Fromms Gold currently but will be switching to Taste of the Wild (the fish based one) once I start getting low on Fromms. I love the Fromms and he does well on it but TOTW is slightly cheaper and easier for me to get.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Fish-based diets tend to do wonders for a dog's coat. The Costco food is great for the price. I feed my boy Fromms Gold currently but will be switching to Taste of the Wild (the fish based one) once I start getting low on Fromms. I love the Fromms and he does well on it but TOTW is slightly cheaper and easier for me to get.
Wanted to add that Gunner is on the fish variety too. They have other kinds, but I prefer fish because like you say, it really makes a difference with their coats. He also likes the taste better than the other kinds.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm currently feeding the Taste of the Wild Pacifica formula. It has a lower protein then some of their other formulas that could possibly cause developmental problems such as knuckling over. I tried Whiskey on a small amount of Purina Pro Plan Performance with his regular food and it violently disagreed with him lol... I was cleaning for hours!

I also have him fish oil soft gels. 1200 mg twice a day. He eats the pills like a treat!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whiskey look into the nuvet plus tabs. they did wonders for my chihuahua coat wise, here was a dog that was chewing herself raw, in one week on these things, she stopped chewing and her coat is beautiful. I am a believer now, they are not cheap, $55 for a 90 day supply but after seeing what it did for my chihuahua I can only imagine how good it is going to be for our pup, it has the fish oil in them as well.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I swear by Wellness - its a great food, very well rated, makes coats very soft and shiny, no shedding AT ALL! It's about 54.00 a bag and if you have any with sensitive stomachs or skin, they make that also!

Reactions: StarlightDobe

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I too am feeding TOTW, the breeder gave me somce Acana to feed him and switch over to whatever I wanted it is one of the higher end foods about 70 a bag as well but Odin had gas with it. I feed TOTW with my last dobie and he seemed to well on it as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What about this: Quality Puppy Food on the Cheap - Kirkland Signature Super Premium Puppy Food (40 lb. bag) - Review by criteeker - Shopping.com

We just picked up a bag from costco. I figured it was better then beneful which is what someone else told me to use. Is there any resource out there to order dog food online, Even though I havent spent dedicated time looking, I havent ran across taste of the wild, which is what I think I am going to feed.

You can order it online but can also find it in independent pet store and places like mud bay, pet energy, ect.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
TOTW is sold at Tractor Supply stores. Pet Food Pharmacy has been the cheapest online store I have found. It pays to research and pick about 3 stores and compare prices every time you order as they run specials. Pet Food Pharmacy has free shipping with orders over $50 or so. Most charge more for the food when they have free shipping. Pay attention to promo codes, especially at PPP as that is where the real savings have been with $15 off promo codes. National K9 runs $10 shipping which can be decent. Depends where you live from them. They use Fed Ex, food arrives in 3 days where I live, which I like better than UPS. PPP uses UPS which takes a little longer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am feeding Wellness super 5 mix Adult to my puppy because she was starting to knuckle over on the higher protein she was on. She is slowly strting to grow normaly now. Ive fed many brands and tend to buy different ones as variety.
Merrick, TOTW, Praire, B.G. Pro Plan, Farmstand selects, Natural Balance, Blue, Solid Gold, Wellness & Wellness CORE, also some other purina. Fed them all.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I swear by Wellness - its a great food, very well rated, makes coats very soft and shiny, no shedding AT ALL! It's about 54.00 a bag and if you have any with sensitive stomachs or skin, they make that also!
Which variety do you feed? We use the Super 5 Adult Large Breed for our girls now, and Nexus has an amazing coat, but they both shed a bit. Its not overwhelming but they do still shed. I also wondered, with the red dogs, is it normal for them not to be as shiny as the black? Nexus is just a bit softer and shinier than Bella, who is my red girl. She is soft, just not quite as soft as our black girl is. They both eat the same food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feed vado Orijen large puppy at 4 months and 2 weeks. at first his stool was a bit runnier because it is the highest protein content at 40 % its made about 30 minutes from my house at a local company, very good reviews. 100 percent grain less.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I am feeding very pricey food to my one dog. During the research phase, though, I determined that, if I find myself needing to feed multiple dogs, the Nature's Domain is what I will add to reduce food cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts