Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked this question quite a lot recently, via Facebook, strangers approaching me, neighbors...etc. I'm tempted to respond with a jacka$$ remark, but I never do. I don't understand the meaning of the question???

It's different if the person had a pet, but in conversation with these people, they obviously don't have pets and know absolutely nothing about dobermans. So what are they trying to get at when they ask a question like, "What do you feed him?" :confused:

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
just say he ate your nosy neighbor for lunch yesterday....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well, if he's a healthy weight I would probably take it is a compliment. If he has a shiny coat, great condition etc they may be curious how they can get their own dog to look like that. I would take it as an opportunity to educate...when someone asks me that I take it as an invitation to tell someone why Alpo won't give them those results ;) Usually people have never heard of the brand I feed Gunner so I quickly tell them why. It's probably a good thing you are getting asked that although I know it can get annoying :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if he's a healthy weight I would probably take it is a compliment. If he has a shiny coat, great condition etc they may be curious how they can get their own dog to look like that. I would take it as an opportunity to educate...when someone asks me that I take it as an invitation to tell someone why Alpo won't give them those results ;) Usually people have never heard of the brand I feed Gunner so I quickly tell them why. It's probably a good thing you are getting asked that although I know it can get annoying :)
Yes, these people are complimenting Duke, which is why I always respond politely with, "I feed him FROMM and fish oils," but then I get this :confused: look because the people asking aren't pet owners. I just feel like it's such an odd question to ask, especially because they cannot relate or continue the conversation once answered.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
High quality grain free food is a really good generic response - and if they want to know the brand (or if it's raw) then they can ask what type.

I'd probably say something like 'expensive kibble' - but that's not as informative. :)
Kate

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,621 Posts
Try being a raw feeder when they ask you that question lol. Then you get horrified looks and "you feed her raw meat?? doesn't that make her aggressive??". I then discuss why I prefer raw food over kibble for Coco. :butfly:

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
If the person asking isn't a pet owner, or isn't someone I know to be generally interested in animals, I just tell them I feed a high-quality kibble and some supplements. I try not to bore polite acquaintances with details and I figure if I say something that really piques their curiosity or if they're really curious to start with then they'll ask for more information.

Most people who know me, even those who don't know me well, know I'm a dog person because I'm really active in my training club, I help with some Dobe rescue occasionally in my area, and I participate in a lot of local dog events. So sometimes people are asking me dog stuff and I know they don't care about it necessarily but they're trying to be friendly and ask me because they know it's an interest and hobby of mine.

There are plenty of other things people could say or do regarding my dogs that would be offensive. I really don't find asking about their food to be offensive at all. I've asked someone what they feed their 3-year old before because I honestly didn't know what tiny people eat. LOL (It's funny, but I seriously did ask.) How do you know how much to feed a toddler? How do you know when and how often an infant should eat? I honestly don't know. And I don't have kids and I'm not asking to be offensive. LOL If a neutral question pops into my mind then I ask because I'm a curious person (hence the science degree :)).

·
Registered
477 Posts
I dont find this question offensive at all. It's usually prefaced with a "wow, his coat is so shiny." I love being able to share the importance of grain free kibble, and raw feeding.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Ha. When people ask this and I tell them they eat raw meat, I get the "raw meat?!? Umm..what kind of meat??"

Sometimes I can't help it and I say something along the lines of "small children", but mostly I just tell them chicken/beef. And it never seems to fail that they ask, "What about blood? Do you feed them the blood?"

Yes...I tend to collect blood...would you mind donating a bit? It's their favorite snack. Dobes are part vampire, you know? That's why you never see them in the day time. HA

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont find this question offensive at all. It's usually prefaced with a "wow, his coat is so shiny." I love being able to share the importance of grain free kibble, and raw feeding.
I don't find the question offensive at all. I just simply don't understand the reasoning behind it?

It's like me (knowing NOTHING about cars) a NASCAR driver, "So, whatcha got under the hood?"

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I don't find that question annoying, I take it as a compliment that my dog looks great. I give either detailed or simple answers depending on who I'm talking to and how interested they actually are.

I think that's far less annoying than "is he mean" "will he bite" "his head will grow too big for his skull" "is he a warlock" "he looks small for a doberman, I had one that was 150 lbs" "will you breed him to my dog" etc. etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts