Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of the best websites on obedience and training afaic. Just like every other website and/or dog book I've read, I don't agree with every thing he believes but taken in totality, I think it's an outstanding resource, probably the best on the web. Can't speak to the dvd's though because I haven't seen them but going by the website, it's probably one of the best $30 USD investments you could make.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
In my opinion, they are one of the best. I have never seen the videos, but if the videos are anything like the articles on the internet, they are probably well worth the money.

They seem to offer very balanced training methods. IMO, they don’t support the overly positive, or major compulsion. They push consistency and fairness with correction suited to behavior. The website has a TON of great information about all kinds of dog training. I have printed off a bunch of their articles.

If you do order the video's be sure to report back and let us know what you think about them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Leerburg is an increadible resourse. I too love how balanced their approach is and they preach being fair to the dog. I have a few of their DVDs. Good stuff. Not cheap, but good stuff.

Bite Training Puppies - loved it
How to Raise a working puppy - loved it
Your pupy 8wks to 8mo - excellent for any beginner dog owner but it's pretty basic stuff, I didn't really benefit much from it
Building Drive & Focu - fantastic DVD!!, BiB a must have! so much amazing info on it and while some of the stuff mentioned in the other DVD's could just as well have been written in an article, this DVD does a great job of visually capturing the rights and wrongs when it comes to the training
Competition Heeling - haven't watched it yet

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I was skeptical of Leerburg initially (that whole choking the handler aggressive dog to the point of passing out really gets to me) but have spent quite a bit of time there and have to give credit where credit is due. Although I do not agree with some of his methods/beliefs, I have found the vast majority of his articles very interesting and informative and full of great common sense information. I was floored when I realized he really encourages training with treats. I listened to his pod cast on teaching your dog to go to his "place" the other day - plan on working with both Chi and Petri when Mark leaves next month (too much crazy going on in this house to be consistent with any sort of new house training). He's also a pretty funny guy :) If you get the DVD's let us know how you like them :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zucker thanks for the reviews. I bought the Basic Dog obeidence DVD since he talks it up in his podcasts. I was wonder if you dont feel like you need any of your dvds if you wanted to sell them?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ya Leerburg has some great videos
I have basic dog obedience as well and i really enjoyed it. I learned alot from it and it more than just your "average" basic dog book/video.

I also have dealing with aggressive and dominant dogs but havent watched it yet as my pup is only 14 weeks old and can cant do any "corrective" training yet

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My hubby & I have both enjoyed his website & have read/saved several articles for future reference. We are likely to invest in the Your Puppy - 8wks to 8mo video as well as a few others. We are not first time dog owners, but we are first time working dog owners so the more info on training the better we feel.

We also purchased RFR's recommended Power of Positive Dog Training. The hard part is finding time when we're not playing & working with Axel to read it!! A chapter per nap is my goal! :biggrin55:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ya i read my dog book when i am training my dog too. In one of our exercises he has to lay down next to me for 30 min and not move...so it gives me a perfect opportunity to read....though sadly the other day, when i left him alone with the book on the floor, he started ripping it to shreds. I think its because i was giving the book more attention then him.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I find the Leerburg website info very informative. I wouldn't use it carte blanche without some guidance, unless you are already knowledgeable. We were trained almost day one with a prong collar by Scott Heywood, a former GSD guide/working dog guy. I found the Leerburg website later and the prong collar stuff was very similar to what we had been taught - so no surprises there. I considered Scott more 'old school', not in a bad way, but he is not a clicker guy. Definitely set the dog up to succeed, but use compulsion when needed. Leerburg seems to be the same way.

Only caution I have about the internet in general is you don't get anything for free - Leerburg is selling something - no duh - the free articles are obviously geared to get you to buy CDs/DVDs which I am sure lead you to buy more advanced CDs/DVDs etc etc. With my view of the internet as a huge virtual highway billboard sign - just be cautious. Working with a real live person, to me, is always preferrable.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Ya i read my dog book when i am training my dog too. In one of our exercises he has to lay down next to me for 30 min and not move...so it gives me a perfect opportunity to read....though sadly the other day, when i left him alone with the book on the floor, he started ripping it to shreds. I think its because i was giving the book more attention then him.

How old is your puppy now?

If he's very young, a 30 minute down-stay is totally unreasonable, sorry.

Your job as his guardian is to set him up to succeed, with realistic goals that he can actually manage.

And--dogs just aren't humans and don't think in spiteful ways as you're implying.

He tore the book up not because he was jealous of the attention you had paid to it, but because you left him unsupervised and shredding paper is FUN.

Dogs do what feels fun to them and satisfies needs for them, period.

Use that to direct him to behaviors you want and phase out behaviors you don't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How old is your puppy now?

If he's very young, a 30 minute down-stay is totally unreasonable, sorry.

Your job as his guardian is to set him up to succeed, with realistic goals that he can actually manage.

And--dogs just aren't humans and don't think in spiteful ways as you're implying.

He tore the book up not because he was jealous of the attention you had paid to it, but because you left him unsupervised and shredding paper is FUN.

Dogs do what feels fun to them and satisfies needs for them, period.

Use that to direct him to behaviors you want and phase out behaviors you don't.

The dog is 14 weeks now and please dont be sorry, you probably know alot more about dobies than i do as this is my first one. He seems to not mind the down stays because i usually do them when he is pretty tired. But if you honestly think that is too long. I just read in the book that is shows dominance.....
What would be some realistic goals? Also, can you explain how i could "direct" him from tearing up things
And i was only joking about tearing up the book....I mean i cant even have any roll of toilet paper on the holders because he will drag it around the house.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Leerburg is a great resource - and entertaining as well. As for those who have problems with him choking a dog out ... I understand your feelings, but there ARE some dogs who HAVE to be dealt with that way. Not common nor something I ever want to do, but sometimes necessary. With some, it is either that or put the dog down. I've had to get pretty rough with a couple dogs who had severe dominance issues, and I'm happy to say they both have been in their new homes for 3 & 4 years and are stable, beloved pets. nd their place" in the human world and are quite happy. Unfortunately, there are idiots out there who create monsters, then dump then when they discover they can't handle them any more. Sad, but true.
Yeah, Leerburg is in it to make money, but if you look at the whole picture, he puts out a ton of great information. You make the choice whether or not to buy anything. His methods work, and produce happy, well adjusted dogs.
Would love to hear your input if you order any dvds. Happy training!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
It maybe a book it maybe a DVD it may even be a person the more you can learn about different methods of dog training the better off you will be.I would not follow any method as if were written in blood. Take what you like and feel comfortable doing and go from there. You will make mistakes from time to time we all do just try your best I think Leerburg is fairly straight forward he admits to being from the Yank & Crank erra he seems to be fair to the dogs willing to learn new methods clicker training & positive training too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.