Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

What did you feed your new puppies?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  eegreen 
#1 ·
For the best start, what did you feed your puppies? I see a lot of recommendations for Purina pro plan, any success with other brands? Supplements? Raw ideas? Just looking for some ideas, thanks!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! is 5 months a good age to start the switch all life stages PPP or is it ok to transition earlier? PS I don't have the Doberman yet, about a month away from being ready just trying to be as well prepared as possible!

Also, any suggestions on the type of bowls to feed out of at that early stage?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
When I got my first Dobe the breeders all said don't feed puppy food--grows big dog puppies too fast. That was in 1959. So I fed all puppies adult food as soon as I took them home and I left them eating whatever the breeder fed (for about 3 to 4 weeks. ) Than around 1990 large breed puppy food came along. I used it briefly but soon went back to feeding adult food (or all life stages food) so basically all my puppies are on adult food by the time they are 4 months old.

Bowls? I use stainless steel--washed every time it's used with hot soapy water or in the dishwasher. Alternate would be glazed crockery ditto for keeping clean. Puppies eat out of the same sized bowls the adult dogs do. I don't use anything to slow a puppies eating down. If they eat too fast and choke on it they shortly learn to slow down.

In a wild canine fast eating is a survival trait--puppies who eat fast get full meals. They grow and thrive.

I also don't spend any time sticking my hand in my puppy's food bowl to teach him not to protect his food. It's his food. I give it to him and leave it alone until he's finished eating.

dobebug
thanks! Do you elevate the bowls at all (for puppies or once they are adults?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.