Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm having a problem here. Well, maybe not a problem. But something I can't quite figure out.

Most of us know I was having some aggression problems with Bruno. He was dominating over my oldest son (who is about to turn 7). He still has a bit of the aggression with him. But ONLY when my son comes near us. He gets a doggy "time out" when he does this. Plus my son ALWAYS gets first picks before Bruno. I mean that's natural. He's my son. But since we've been getting Isaiah to feed Bruno and basically having Bruno depend on Isaiah, he's been fairly better with the whole thing. I mean, he's not perfect. But he's gotten alot better and he still goes and cuddles with Isaiah and loves on him.

But that's not what the problem is. We're pretty secure with Bruno and our Son. I mean no matter what always taking caution when it comes to any animal and our children. But they're fairly good with one another now. The problem is, Bruno is a nervous dog. His mother is nervous and was unsocialized. She's soooo timid it's ridiculous almost. I can only imagine that Bruno has her temperment. So he's one we have to keep an eye on at all times. But he's just a cuddle bug, really he's the sweetest thing ever. But, when my younger brother. Who is 21 and really isn't "normal" looking lol. He has a mohawk that is ALWAYS un brushed and all over hte place. He dresses very weird. But he's also an IN YOUR FACE kind of person. Since the day Bruno met him, he has NEVER EVER liked him. He will growl and bark at him to no end. Now when Bruno meets someone he doesn't know, he will bark at them and give a growl. But after he calms down and the person takes their time to get to know him. He's pefectly fine with them. He will be their best friend. It just takes him time to get use to ppl. (I try to socialize him with as many ppl as I know. He is so far use to all our friends and family and doesn't give to craps about them, except this brother). But I just can NOT figure out WHY he's so aggressive with my brother? He is the only person so far that Bruno will just not get use to. He wants nothing to do with him. Even tho he growls and barks at my brother. My brother still insist on getting in his face @@ I hate it. It drives me nuts. But the kicker is, he tells me something is wrong with my dog. Because my dog does not like him. Then he tells everyone he meets what an evil dog Bruno is. I swear he's not evil, he's a great dog and so smart and just the best dog I've ever owned!!!! It bother's me so much that my brother would do this. Is there something you think Bruno can sense about him? Or something about him that maybe he just doesn't agree with? Or am I totally just losing my mind and only thinking there is something there?? Because Bruno has met so many ppl and has NEVER done this before :( My brother can be outside and just walk in the door and Bruno will hear his voice and jsut start to FREAK!!! I don't get it :(

Any ideas? Sorry this is so long. I haven't been on hte boards in a while. Been so busy with the move and all (10 more sleeps hehe). Bruno is doing SO well other wise. He met one of my aunts this weekend. Again at first he was iffy about meeting her. But she let him go to her and once he did he was totally fine with her :) Loved her all up. She fell in love right away!!! hehe. He did great today also meeting my brother inlaws new gf. He was awesome with her :D Not even a bark or a growl. I guess he just likes some ppl more then others? lol ;)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
maybe your brother is acting too much like a threat...if he teases bruno...or stares at him...or maybe your brother sees bruno as a threat and your brother is scared of Bruno...and maybe bruno can sense that.
I don't know much but I would just give your brother a bunch of cookies to give bruno when he comes over...and when he is around...
also I would make sure your brother knows how you want him to treat bruno and how you DON'T want him to treat him and make sure he knows the rules...like no teasing or any intentional acts that bruno would take as something to be suspicious or threatening

that is all I can recommend...basic stuff...lol
Im excited for the big move! Does this house have a fenced in yard for Bruno? :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LD.

We have given my brother treats for Bruno...Bruno will take them. But he still is so iffy of him. My brother doesn't tease him or anything. He'll walk in the room and Bruno will FREAK out. When my brother comes closer Bruno will let him pet his head, but he will still growl at him. He's so unsure of him. I've never seen him act this way with anyone before. I don't know if my brother is actually afraid of him. He owns a pittbull and lives with my sister who has 3 dobermans. I just don't like that my brother says these mean things about Bruno when they are totally false. :(

The yard doesn't have a fence YET. We are thinking of asking anyonet hat wanted to get us a house warming gift to give money instead. We don't want gifts, but if someone is going to get something anyway. We'd rather the money. SO we can save to get a fence done :) That's my goal once we move in. Is to get a fence around so Bruno can play. He does good staying in the yard as it is. So he doesn't really NEED a fence if I'm out there with him. But i'd like to have it just for added security.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and not to mention I want a fence so my boys have more security and I'm more calm knowing there is a fence ;) Can't wait to have our own yard :D

·
Banned
675 Posts
Your brother shoud not be coming closer to Bruno. IN YOUR FACE type of behavior is something that dogs generally don't like, even if they're not nervous, and if they are, it's even worse. The way to get a nervous dog to act better around a person is for that person to ignore the dog, for as long as it takes. If the dog never likes him, so be it, keep him away from the dog. Either by locking Bruno up when your brother is in the house, or, if you can get your brother to follow your wishes, by having him completely ignore Bruno, don't approach him, don't feed him, don't speak to him, don't acknowledge him. That is the best way to get a nervous dog to approach, and when it approaches it's best to still ignore it until it demands attention. However, in your case, there is already bad feeling between your brother and Bruno, so that might not work, or might take longer than it usually does. If Bruno is okay with your brother being in the same room as long as your brother leaves him alone, then do that and see if eventually he'll approach, if your brother ignores him. Nervous or skittish dogs see strangers trying to get in their faces or pet them or grab hold of them as threatening. Most Dobermans I've known don't like it and will avoid it from a stranger, even if the dogs weren't nervous, they just seemed to think it was rude.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the thing. My brother won't ignore him. He seems to think there is something wrong with Bruno. So he inisist on getting in Bruno's face trying to pet him and all that. He won't listen when I tell him to stay AWAY from Bruno. Because Bruno doesn't like him. Apparently I'm full of crap and Bruno is just evil @@.

However I will tell him next time to ignore Bruno. Bruno does bark and growl at just the sight of him. But he gets even louder and meaner sounding when he gets closer. I just HOPE I can get him to ignore Bruno and actually listen to what I say. And not judge my poor Bruno :( When ppl see Bruno act like this towards him, they of course believe that something is wrong with Bruno. Sucks :(

Thanks Micdobe :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Luv_my_Bruno said:
That's the thing. My brother won't ignore him. He seems to think there is something wrong with Bruno. So he inisist on getting in Bruno's face trying to pet him and all that. He won't listen when I tell him to stay AWAY from Bruno. Because Bruno doesn't like him. Apparently I'm full of crap and Bruno is just evil @@.

However I will tell him next time to ignore Bruno. Bruno does bark and growl at just the sight of him. But he gets even louder and meaner sounding when he gets closer. I just HOPE I can get him to ignore Bruno and actually listen to what I say. And not judge my poor Bruno :( When ppl see Bruno act like this towards him, they of course believe that something is wrong with Bruno. Sucks :(

Thanks Micdobe :)
Hey it's your dog, your house (even if it does not always happen in your house, it's still your dog)... If your brother won't listen, take a hike buddy. Better then the alternitive if Bruno's temperment snaps one of these times on your brother.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I'd insist that he tone it down a bit. My brothers are pretty loud. Ok my whole family is. :) But I have a brother that sounds similar to yours. He knows how to approach my dogs though. Especially Doodle with his timidness. He doesn't like a lot of high strung activity and children with quick movements is a big no no with him. He is also more liable to approach a person sitting down calmly, stranger or not. He will tuck tail and run if someone comes up too quickly on him walking or running. But i'd definately try the ignoring like Micdobe said, if you can keep away. Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah, I keep telling my brother it's his own fault if Bruno does do somethiing. I doubt Bruno will, but you can never predict any animal's activity IMO. So he's be warned. Yet he still doesn't stop. I guess my real problem is him telling everyone something is wrong with Bruno. If someone doesn't give him a chance and is so quick to judge him. I can't even be bothered. It bugs me too much.

Bruno as well is great with going up to ppl on his own terms. He does it quite often. Infact when we had a birthday Party here for my son in March. We had everyone come over and then Bruno came home (he was out with my husband). Bruno did AWESOME with everyone already in his home when he got here. He greeted everyone with not even one growl or bark. He loved it. Because everyone had their attention on him LOL. So he's great with doing stuff like that. It's just the in your face ppl. He can not stand it. Or loud ppl. It's just not his thing :( But ppl misunderstand it for him being an "evil" boy. That's what I don't like.

But thanks for the advice and replies. much apprecitated. knew I could come here and get ppl to understand what I'm dealing with :D

·
Banned
675 Posts
But whether people here understand or not your dog is being subjected to behavior that upsets him and probably frightens him. I wouldn't want to let my dog be subjected to that. So if you can't control your brother, put Bruno in another room when your brother's in your house and make him stay out of that room. It's making the dog worse for him to continue to do that, he's going to keep telling people there's something "wrong" with the dog, but that shouldn't be your primary concern. It should be the emotions of your dog. Also you don't think Bruno "will do anything" to your brother, but he might if he's pushed far enough, and then the one to suffer for that will be Bruno, maybe with his life, and the Doberman breed gets another bite statistic, which the rest of us really don't need.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I understand he has been warned, but if Bruno does something you will still be responsible and likely poor Bruno would have to be held accountable if there is a complaint. Don't put it past family not to complain either.

Brother or not, if he can't control himself around Bruno he shouldn't be welcome in the house. It's that simple. Or you need to confine Bruno in another place away from your brother when he is there. Which will do nothing for Brunos opinion of him by the way.

Good luck... :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Whenever I had someone in the house that wouldn't respect my wishes around my dogs (mostly kids), I'd just crate the dogs up in another room and not let those people in that room. It's certainly not worth risking a bite.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh this wasn't in my house. If it was my house I would kick my brother out if he didn't follow my wishes and stay away from Bruno lol. My Brunster comes before my brother....It was actually at my sister's place. Where my brother is living. Bruno was on a leash so even if Bruno DID happen to do anything. I do not think they'd hold Bruno responsible. Because he was basically tied and my brother had to come to him, in turn it would be his fault for getting too close. But we do tell him to back off when he gets TOO close to Bruno. So that nothing happens. It's just that Bruno will continue to freak out even when my brother backs off. I just don't get what it is about him??

But yeah most deffinently I will not let Bruno around him any more. I can't stand what he says and how he acts anyway. He lives far enough away that he won't be coming to my house often, which is good lol.

Bruno doesn't have a crate yet. But when we move I plan on getting him one. Because when my boys have friends over. I would rather Bruno be in the crate so the kids parents will feel comfortable leaving their children at my home (Same goes for any guest that feel uneasy about him...since he is a nervous dog he barks before he greets and that often at times scare ppl anyhow).

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't understand why you don't yet understand what the problem is. Your brother is, in Bruno's mind, threatening him. I don't know of any of my Dobermans that would have liked the behavior you describe in your brother, and one of them might have bitten him if he made himself obnoxious enough. Another thing is that tying Bruno so he can't get away and then subjecting him to your brother's obnoxious behavior makes the situation even worse. Dogs react in flight/fight mode. If they can't flee, they will fight to save themselves, and by tying him you cut off his flight option. Just keep your brother away from him completely is my advice.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
LMB, Don't worry about what other people think. The more that you react to it, the larger of a problem it will seem in their mind. It sounds like your brother is not only "egging on" your dog, but he is doing it to you as well by saying these things to other people. When he makes a comment like that, smile, tell them that Bruno is not an evil dog, he just knows that "the brother" talks bad about him. laugh, and change the subject. You know that he is not a crazy demon dog, and that is all that matters.

It sounds like you are most concerned about what people think about Bruno, I understand all of the "Dobermans are ManEaters" crap looks you get, but brush it off.

I would keep your Brother away from Bruno, that sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I wouldnt want someone nagging on me to like them either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In my experiences with Ajax, he is very intuitive of my feelings and if he senses that I am upset with someone he usually stiffens up and lets out a low growl.

Dobermans in general all seem to have this sort of behavior. Maybe Bruno is just picking up on some uneasyness or a small change in your or your husbands behavior and he correlates the change with the presence of your brother...

Please do not flame me. I am in NO WAY saying that you do not love your brother, but if your family is anything like mine you don't always get along. That is all and maybe the dog is picking up on it. =)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Reading your posts on Bruno's behavior are like deja' vu. He reminds me so much of Chihiro and what we're going through with her. My only advice would be to keep him far away from your brother. Do not introduce them again until your brother can learn to follow the rules (ie. ignore Bruno) so that you can teach Bruno how to behave. The last thing you want is for Bruno to have a negative experience, especially considering he's a nervous dog anyway - A negative experience will just set you back on what you've accomplished so far.
For what it's worth, I'm already stressing about Chi meeting my younger brother in 2 years! :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have this same problem with my soon to be ex husband...go figure...The last time Sabot saw him he backed up till he was practically sitting on my feet and leaning into me and growling at him...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If this wasnt at your house - then why do you keep bringing Bruno to a place where he is uncomfortable with the people?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that Bruno feels theatened my brother. That is not what I'm not getting. My brother doesn't have to be anywhere NEAR Bruno. But just in the same room/house as Bruno and Bruno will freak. Just my brother being NEAR makes him get this way. And he was tied because it was at my Sister's house and it was a birthday Party. So I kept him on his leash. Plus she has two pittbulls there and I wasn't about to let him run loose in case one got out of the room it was in (one of them attacked my sister's male 2yrs ago and tore his leg appart). But I totally understand he has a problem with my Brother. But what? He's only met him maybe 4 times before. All times he has hated him.

Of course I am concerned what ppl are thinking of my dog. They start to gossip and say how bad he is. Then say how bad we are for letting such a visious dog in our home with our children. To me that is a big thing to worry about. I honestly don't care what ppl think of ME. But when it comes to Bruno I care a great deal. Maybe it's something I need to get over. Because not everyone will think he's a great dog, or believe me when they see him react this way to some ppl. I guess it's just frustrating and I plan on telling my Brother to STOP saying these things about Bruno. Because the only problem here is that Bruno doesn't like him. He needs to know that.

Jason haha, my family is the same way. I'm really an only child and these sibblings are only my "step" sibblings. No relation what so ever. Their father married my Mother. So really, we don't get along much to begin with. Because I also told their Dad to talk to him and let him know Bruno is not vicious (My dad is around Bruno alot and actually loves him. He had a doberman growing up and always praises how great they are). But because it's HIS son that said this. He just brushed it off and really paid no mind to what I was saying @@. So I guess I'll have to confront him myself! :) lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts