Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across the video on Youtube showing a Doberman that was training in personal protection, I have read that some of these dogs are used for personal protection, I don't know how fond of personal protection I am, but I was interested in some of your views on it, and if you yourself have indeed taken your dog to be trained in personal protection or if you trained your dog at home yourself in personal protection like I have read of other doing. I would not mind having my dog trained in personal protection but I am fearful that it would bite/attack the wrong person and that would be my only concern.

this is the video I saw

Trained Doberman Pinscher Personal Protection for Sale (K9-1.com) - YouTube

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been reading and watching video's online it's kind of astonishing they have videos of this doberman that is practicing it protection training then it's playing with a 1 year old baby that steals it's bed and no aggression what so ever, I would very much so like to have one of these well trained dogs I will be checking out some of these clubs

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thats the key, good training!!! Anyone can teach or let their dog become aggressive, its controlling or focusing etc etc that really in my opinion that makes the dog. I taught my first girl PP, after every other thing, OB, S & R, I also never had a problem with her showing aggression that was inappropriate, she loved kids and people in general, but when she had a job to do, it got done.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have been reading and watching video's online it's kind of astonishing they have videos of this doberman that is practicing it protection training then it's playing with a 1 year old baby that steals it's bed and no aggression what so ever
Why is this astonishing to you? Not being rude, just wondering. Protection training is not to make a dog aggressive, it's to teach it self control, confidence and obedience, among other things. And I hear it's super fun and rewarding for both dog and owner. I'm certainly no expert, I just tire of hearing comments like, "Wow, that must be a really mean dog!"

Good luck to you if you decide to go that route!

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
As a person who enjoys and trains my dogs in both sport (schutzhund) and personal protection, I think it makes for a much safer dog. The dogs know how to control aggression and when it appropriate and when its not. I would only caution that schutzhund training is not personal protection training and while the foundation is basically the same, there are more steps to be taken for a well trained PP dog. Not every schutzhund trainer or helper has the knowledge to train further for PP either. And while I know many will disagree, it is my experience that very often the dogs that are only sport trained do not react the same in a protection scenario. This is not only dobermans, but GSD's and mali's.

Are you the diamond dobermans that offers "over sized, natural family protectors"?

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why is this astonishing to you? Not being rude, just wondering. Protection training is not to make a dog aggressive, it's to teach it self control, confidence and obedience, among other things. And I hear it's super fun and rewarding for both dog and owner. I'm certainly no expert, I just tire of hearing comments like, "Wow, that must be a really mean dog!"

Good luck to you if you decide to go that route!
honestly I was stating that the dog was astonishing because how well trained it was not because it was aggressive, I was amazed at how smart and well mannered the dog was, that it was smart enough to know the child was small and innocent and that anything the child did to it could not be taken seriously the dog it self astonished me due to it's extremely high levels of intelligence I honestly did not know much about it prior to posting this thread, the second post with the link led me to Placer County Schutzhund Club and I have since read their entire site and now have a through understanding and want to start my Bella in training ASAP I hope my dog be half as well trained as the dog I witnessed on video

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Are you the diamond dobermans that offers "over sized, natural family protectors"?
The poster has said they're not, and hopefully they don't become them.

I may continue with the egg or some form of supplemental extra protein because it helps her pack on so much lean muscle, I can admit I am guilty of feed her 1 or 2 extra a day but she loves it, I would love to see a picture of your doberman :) she seems to be quite tall though yet underweight, my bella is 24 inches tall and 51lbs and she will be 5 months this Thursday, I am hoping she can get close to 30 inches tall and atleast 100lbs, good luck with your dobbie and you are lucky to have rescued one I was looking for a dobbie to adopt for a while and checked multiple shelter with no luck, people who usually own these dogs take great care of them that's why I am assuming you never see them in shelters, like alot of mixed dogs

For all of you inquiring about the BYB and Diamond Dobermans, Bella is my first doberman and only doberman, she is a 5 month old puppy, I have never bred a dog or any animal for that matter, I would in the near future 1-2 years start breeding I think it would be a great activity for myself, I would like to try finding a stud for my bella once she is of age and seeing how that goes, if I like it maybe think about breeding, I would like to atleast have the experience of my dog having puppies once in my life, but I hear it is quite tedious and alot of work. I have no relation to that diamond dobermans website, I have the user name because I like the brand diamond clothing and I am ever so fond of dobermans :) I don't breed oversize puppies or any puppies at all, I have not read much about the proper or correct sizing of doberman but I was under the impression that they were a large or x large breed dog :confused: guess I was confused, I spoke with my mom's standard poodle breeder who was over for easter about show dobermans and she said they were of a smaller size then some home pets, I guess I always thought larger was better, I just didnt want her to be a runt, wanted her to be large lean and healthy!!!! I will continue to free feed her as she is in great shape and has no belly and you can more then see the ribs, my mom's standard poodle breeder was the one who measured my dog (taught me how to) and she was showing me a few other things about them (how to look at the teeth properly & inspect there nails) I am fairly new to training dogs though I have been around them my entire life and new to the doberman breed.

sorry to disappoint I am not the BYB you might have thought I was :)

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Good! Thank you Kat! 100 lb dobes do not make good working dogs.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
No offense, but do you know anything about dobermans? It almost seems as though you woke up one morning and said, "Oh I think I will get a doberman today?!" You should READ read read and read some more, not only on dobermans, but owning dogs in general..... And not only on forums and youtube, get some literature and continue to educate yourself. Dogs are a HUGE responsibility and not something to be taken lightly or to make quick decisions because something looks cool or fun.

·
Diamond Dobermans
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
As a person who enjoys and trains my dogs in both sport (schutzhund) and personal protection, I think it makes for a much safer dog. The dogs know how to control aggression and when it appropriate and when its not. I would only caution that schutzhund training is not personal protection training and while the foundation is basically the same, there are more steps to be taken for a well trained PP dog. Not every schutzhund trainer or helper has the knowledge to train further for PP either. And while I know many will disagree, it is my experience that very often the dogs that are only sport trained do not react the same in a protection scenario. This is not only dobermans, but GSD's and mali's.

At what age can you start PP training? Are there any PP clubs like they have for Schutzhund? I would eventually like to train the dog in both but with an emphasis on PP. Any info would be greatly appreciated

No Relation to that oversized breeder sorry to disappoint again

No offense, but do you know anything about dobermans? It almost seems as though you woke up one morning and said, "Oh I think I will get a doberman today?!" You should READ read read and read some more, not only on dobermans, but owning dogs in general..... And not only on forums and youtube, get some literature and continue to educate yourself. Dogs are a HUGE responsibility and not something to be taken lightly or to make quick decisions because something looks cool or fun.
I have read quite a bit on these dogs and wanted one for a long time before I got it, wasn't just like oh lets buy an expensive purebreed dog because I got tons of money to throw around :idea::roflmao: I worked long and hard for my income and I spend it on things I truely want not just blow money on high end dogs just because I want to that's crazy you would even suggest that.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Yeah, um, I didnt mention finances at all? Instead, I mentioned that dogs are a big responsibility and it is important to educate and prepare yourself for ownership, as dogs are a lifetime commitment. I am referring more to knowledge and actions, not so much your pocket book....

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
At what age can you start PP training? Are there any PP clubs like they have for Schutzhund? I would eventually like to train the dog in both but with an emphasis on PP. Any info would be greatly appreciated

No Relation to that oversized breeder sorry to disappoint again

I have read quite a bit on these dogs and wanted one for a long time before I got it, wasn't just like oh lets buy an expensive purebreed dog because I got tons of money to throw around :idea::roflmao: I worked long and hard for my income and I spend it on things I truely want not just blow money on high end dogs just because I want to that's crazy you would even suggest that.
I'm not disappointed at all, I think it's great. Over sized dogs do not really do well in any type of sport like this. Too hard on the body. :)
I am not aware of any clubs for PP and I think it would be hard to train that way. I suggest you look at schutzhund clubs and see if you enjoy that. The obedience required for a sport dog will also be required for a good PP dog, maybe even more. And the foundation for the bite work is the same, so it will give you a good idea. Best of luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
There are some local Sch people in Nor Cal that you might try connecting with. I think one or two are members of the Sacramento Doberman Club also. I'm in Sacramento also but haven't done any training so hesitate to recommend any trainers. There are pretty good ones in the area I hear. Or maybe do a search.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Did anyone else watch the video posted? During their 'obedience' at the beginning, the dog is extremely unhappy, and demonstrating some pretty poor heel work.... Not exactly a good example of a well trained personal protection dog.

This dog is bred by my trainer, and is owned by a member on here. His dog is currently training PSA 3 and will be trialing again for it in may. Here is a video of him doing to protection training:

Caesar Protection Training 06/09 - YouTube

He also has a few other videos that to me are pretty impressive.... especially the one doing tricks. Too cool!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have been reading and watching video's online it's kind of astonishing they have videos of this doberman that is practicing it protection training then it's playing with a 1 year old baby that steals it's bed and no aggression what so ever
What you saw in that video is a dog with good nerves. No proper PPD should have any issues living in a home as an integrated member of the family. The guard dogs of old have very little place in today's society.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very well said!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've been watching Scott's videos for a couple years now, Caesar is a very well trained dog!

Did anyone else watch the video posted? During their 'obedience' at the beginning, the dog is extremely unhappy, and demonstrating some pretty poor heel work.... Not exactly a good example of a well trained personal protection dog.

This dog is bred by my trainer, and is owned by a member on here. His dog is currently training PSA 3 and will be trialing again for it in may. Here is a video of him doing to protection training:

Caesar Protection Training 06/09 - YouTube

He also has a few other videos that to me are pretty impressive.... especially the one doing tricks. Too cool!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I ran across the video on Youtube showing a Doberman that was training in personal protection, I have read that some of these dogs are used for personal protection, I don't know how fond of personal protection I am, but I was interested in some of your views on it, and if you yourself have indeed taken your dog to be trained in personal protection or if you trained your dog at home yourself in personal protection like I have read of other doing. I would not mind having my dog trained in personal protection but I am fearful that it would bite/attack the wrong person and that would be my only concern.

this is the video I saw

Trained Doberman Pinscher Personal Protection for Sale (K9-1.com) - YouTube
I was completely underwhelmed. Absolute shttt training. A dog trained in this manner by these individuals is a liability.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts