Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently purchased this food for my doberboy.

What are your thoughts on the ingredients:
Fresh turkey, chicken meal, green peas, chickpeas, fresh chicken, whole eggs, tapioca, chicken fat (naturally preserved with Vitamin E and citric acid), natural chicken flavours, fresh duck, quinoa seeds, sea salt, calcium phosphate, pumpkin, broccoli, organic agave (source of inulin), chia seeds, potassium chloride, organic seaweed meal (prebiotic), algae extract (source of DHA), yucca schidigera, vitamins & minerals*, choline chloride, glucosamine, kale, pomegranate, raspberry, spinach, green lipped mussel, green tea extract, rosemary extract

*Vitamins & minerals (vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite)

It is Nutram's Grain Free Turkey, Chicken and Duck

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I've never heard of it (but then, I"m in the US) but it looks like a good ingredient list. I'd probably consider feeding it.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
everyone has their preferences and pet peeves -
for me I use food that has meat listed first
and no BHT or Animal Digest

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
everyone has their preferences and pet peeves -
for me I use food that has meat listed first
and no BHT or Animal Digest
Turkey's not meat?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Looks okay. You can go to the review and rate sites I have below and see how it is rated. I just hate to see the DHA from algae if that is the chemically extracted one and I'm betting it is. Another big corp.(Martek, I do believe) running slipshod over organic regulations to add cheap chemically extracted DHA to baby food, milk, etc for the big buck and rooting out true healthy DHA sources. Just being me, I would email the company and ask if it is chemically extracted DHA and, if it is, let them know you wont buy their product with that ingredient in it. Thats how we got rid of ethoxyquin, us the consumers, YES, we did!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Looks okay. You can go to the review and rate sites I have below and see how it is rated. I just hate to see the DHA from algae if that is the chemically extracted one and I'm betting it is. Another big corp.(Martek, I do believe) running slipshod over organic regulations to add cheap chemically extracted DHA to baby food, milk, etc for the big buck and rooting out true healthy DHA sources. Just being me, I would email the company and ask if it is chemically extracted DHA and, if it is, let them know you wont buy their product with that ingredient in it. Thats how we got rid of ethoxyquin, us the consumers, YES, we did!
Wolfgirl, I would pay the most attention to this post.

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
TruthaboutPetFood.com is a very useful site and gives detailed ratings on TONS of pet foods. The woman who keeps up the site also sends e-mail updates on foods that have been recalled, current research on specific brands, and lots of additional information. I found it very useful when researching pre-packaged raw diets for my dogs and cats.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And what does DHA stand for?

I'm fairly new to feeding dogs beyond the grocery store brands that we fed our Jack Russells when we were kids. I understand you want to avoid corn, wheat, soy and other grains as well, and look for foods with meat as the top 3 or more ingredients. I suspect my boy has a grain allergy and possibly a potato one.

He's getting ground raw chicken with (ground)bone , green beef tripe and offal added for breakfast and kibble for his late supper meal. I'd love to go 100%Raw but we're struggling with separation anxiety and one of the ways we are helping him deal with it is by putting his food in a frozen kong and kong wobbler. He eats while we are gone and it has worked wonders to keep his anxiety down. My neighbours have commented several times how they rarely, if ever hear him anymore.

I'm not sure how we could use raw food to help him cope with his separation anxiety, when I can't contain the raw food to noncarpeted areas when we aren't home (crating him isn't an option as he yowls and screams when left in a crate alone and we live in an apartment). He now successfully sleeps in the crate at night and will knaw on raw bones in the crate but if left alone while crated, he's a mess. That said, we did it once a few weeks ago when we visited my parents and my parents wanted to go out for dinner, and insisted we crate Bentley in their back room while we were gone. Although he was barking when we left, he wasn't making a peep when we got back. They live in a house though, and a crated in the house dog barking isn't as much of a nuisance to neighbours compared to a barking dog in an apartment building.

Anyways, so kibble is my only option right now.

I'd love to go with Orijen, but he was gassy as hell on it (tried a small sample bag), and my husband is being money conscious and doesn't want to spend more then 50 bucks a month on food. I told him straight up, I couldn't do that. But I would look at finding something at the 65 dollar range.

The Nutram is 66.99 plus taxes. I figure I can get 6 weeks out of a 25lb bag, give or take a bit.

I've tried finding reviews for it on those sites but it must be too new as I cant seem to find one.

I also want a food that has a few different meat protein sources in it as I primarily feed him ground chicken, and I don't want him to develope a chicken allergy. I don't ever buy chicken treats. I always opt for lamb, duck, beef or rabbit. Same when I buy canned food. No chicken, but other meat. I also try to avoid fish, as he has an intolerance to high levels of fish and gets the runs big time, and is gassy.

If anyone has food suggestions, I'd be open to them.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is a fatty acid most often found in fish, I think?

When it comes to dog foods a good food is a good food, however not all good foods work with every dog. With your dog, for example, a good fish based food will still probably make him gassy.

I feel Nature's Variety Instinct and I LOVE it. The chicken protein made Dreizehn gassy but he does great on the beef and on the venison and duck. Anyways, I buy it online and pay $65 for the beef (and fish) formulas; the duck/venison formula is a tad cheaper. I rotate proteins with each bag. Before that I fed Fromm and liked that a lot also. They have a grain free line that I've only heard good things about. My roommate fed her dobe Blue Wilderness (once she switched off a HORRIBLE food, Beneful I think) and he looked amazing on it.

Other good quality grain free foods...
Acana
Innova Prime (which my dogs go crazy for)
Timberwolf
Wellness CORE
EVO
Earthborn Holistic

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
Acana is made by Champion Pet Foods in Canana. This is the same company that makes Orijen. Acana is their more affordable line of pet foods, but it's still more high-quality than the brands sold in grocery and big pet stores. I tried switching my dogs from Orijen to Acana to save a little money, but found that they didn't digest it as well since their "piles" nearly doubled in size. So I switched them back to Orijen and i feed the Regional Red which is loaded with red meat proteins. Despite the cost of the food, I feel like I'm getting a lot for the money because they digest it so well. They don't have diarrhea. They don't vomit. Their excrement is small, formed, dark and practically odorless. Their coats are ultra shiny - no bumps, no fleas, no dandruff. ...You get the idea. I know it's not a practical choice for everyone, but I do recommend you try the Acana. All of the ingredients are farmed and/or wild-caught in Canadian regions, so NO part of their product is from China. I hope this helped.

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
I also feed Nature's Variety Instinct canned foods to my dogs and they LOVE it.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Wolfgirl, you can look up BHA and animal digest in the "ingredients to avoid" section of The Dog Food Project site I have below. DHA, too long for me to spell, is an omega 3 fatty acid best sourced from fish body oil. DHA and EPA are generally linked together and given in the form of fish oil capsules. DHA/EPA are anti inflamatory. I highly recommend them for a dog with allergies as they will help some with the skin inflamation. I also recommend Natures Variety Instinct kibble for allergy dogs. I feed it to my allergy boy, Parker, along with Orijen and to a lessor extent Acana. NVI has several different proteins you can rotate, as well as 2 limited ingredient foods. You could also do well to give you boy 1/2 tin sardines a day, like 2 small fish. Sardines are an excellent food for humans or dogs. By the way, I am gonna predict the Martek chemically extracted from lab grown algae DHA will soon be found in practically everything like unrecognizable corn products are today. DHA is a huge selling point.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate them.

I will definitely check out that website.

Right now I'm putting a squirt of salmon oil on his raw food every day and his coat is gleaming and skin is no longer flakey, except on his snout where his forhead and muzzle meet. My dad, who's anti-raw is blown away by the difference 3 months has made on his coat and skin condition and has said it happened too fast and I'm over supplementing him. I laughed and informed him he's getting less then a teaspoon a day now, which isn't over supplementing at all. When I first adopted him 3 months ago I was giving him 2 tablespoons a day, 1 morning and night. This month I cut down to 1 teaspoon. Anymore and he's gassy and my husband wants to die.

I tried the canned sardines in water. Rinsed them well before serving and he had the major runs. Will never give him sardines again. I was up all night with him, letting him out every 2 hours. Nope never again. He does ok with the salmon oil, and occassional fish treat, but no raw or canned fish or kibble with a main ingredient of fish.

I'm gonna see how he does on this. If his stools don't firm up, I'm gonna look to Acana, Before Grain Buffalo or Nature's Variety.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
As with any new food, you have to introduce sardines gradually or expect a blowout. Same thing happened to me when I gave Parker canned salmon for the first time. I learned to just start slower.:) If you are having good results with salmon oil thats great!

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So much to learn and read. it can be overwhelming.

So far Bentley seems to be doing well on this food. i switched him cold turkey as i wanted to cut all grains out of his diet, as i suspected a possible allergy. I prepared for some diarrhea but his poops have been wonderful these past few days: formed and easy to clean up.

·
Always Faithful
622 Posts
What did you switch him from and to?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bentley's food story:

When we adopted him the first weekend in March this year, he was on a mix of Purina and a brand called Ruffies (which i couldnt find any info on). I transitioned him to Simply Nourish Salmon and Sweet Potato. He ate it, but not enthusiastically. He also didnt have very solid poops. They were formed, but very soft and left quite a bit behind on the grass.

I also started adding salmon oil to his kibble, a tablespoon at each meal. His skin was very dry and flakey.

Within 3 weeks, he was extremely gassy, and making us want to leave our apartment due to his Doberbombs. His poo had also not firmed up

I started looking for ways to improve his poo and was suggested to offer some canned pure pumpkin and tripe. Tripe then led to me exploring feeding raw.

I soon started feeding him ground raw for breakfast every morning (a pound of ground chicken, turkey or rabbit, depending which I'd bought). Suddenly he had an improved zest for eating.

His poo improved, but it became obvious which parts of his poo was digested raw and which was his evening meal of kibble.

I offered a meal of canned sardines (inwater that had been rinsed really well before feeding) in May, and he had the worst explosive diarrhea ever and was deathly gassy for a few days afterwards.

Frustrated with all the gas, I made the decision to switch Bentley off of the fish based food, and on to the chicken and rice Simply Nourish blend, suspecting that he had a fish intolerance. He really liked this kibble, and ate it much more eagerly compared to the fish blend. I cut out all fish, aside from the occasional treat, and daily salmon oil , and his gas has gone away for the most part. It's became much more tolerable and is rarely noticed.

His poo still fluctuated between soft and firm, and occassionally he had the runs.

Then 2 weeks ago, he got 3 small bumps on his muzzle under eye. and a few on his chin and then his side. They were small and looked a lot like bumps ive seen of dogs with grain allergies. They lasted a week then went away. One week, they were on his side, the next week his muzzle, then next week his chin. They're all gone now. He didnt itch or chew them or seem bothered by them at all.

I then decided a few days ago I was going to switch food brands. His poo hadnt firmed on Simply Nourish, and I was now suspecting a grain allergy. So I then turned to this Nutram Grain Free Food 3 days ago and switched him good turkey. So far his poo has been good. Formed and little to no mess.

Originally I chose to go with Simply Nourish because it was within the price range my husband had given me and due to working at Petsmart, I was able to get a discount on it. And when I read a few reviews about it on the dog food site, I figured it was a decent food to try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts